Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1893

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    The feeble qualification rules don’t help smaller nations either.
    I cheered on Japan when they beat South Africa in the World Cup only to realise about half of their players weren’t Japanese at all.
    Players don’t need passports to represent a nation. I’m not sure they even need citizenship.
    Bigger nations can poach good players, especially from Pacific islands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    It takes some nerve and frankly amnesia for anyone here to criticism rugby on how they run things. But I suppose it makes a change from seeing the latest revelation about FAI board/John Delaney in the papers.

As far as I can Irish football fans only seem interested in the senior teams desperate attempts to qualify for the Euros so they can go a **** up abroad. Everything else including all the humiliation and embarrassing incidents can be forgotten if we can sneak into a tournament that is harder to miss out on than it is to qualify

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    As far as I can Irish football fans only seem interested in the senior teams desperate attempts to qualify for the Euros so they can go a **** up abroad.
    what a stupid generalisation.
    matches are at home if we qualify anyway.

the irony of having a pop at the football team in their attempts to qualify when the rugby team get handed a spot at the rwc every 4 years. how hard is it for the rugby team to miss out on qualifying??
    Last edited by jbyrne; 17/09/2019 at 9:21 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    The broad issue here is the hypocrisy of rugby insiders taking random opportunities to criticise football, when the charge sheet against rugby is just as vast - just different. Both games have serious issues just as both games have great qualities.

Nobody here is unaware of the governance issues football faces locally or globally. I'd say many here and even among the "rugby community" are unaware of the governance issues rugby struggles with.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    It takes some nerve and frankly amnesia for anyone here to criticism rugby on how they run things. But I suppose it makes a change from seeing the latest revelation about FAI board/John Delaney in the papers.

As far as I can Irish football fans only seem interested in the senior teams desperate attempts to qualify for the Euros so they can go a **** up abroad. Everything else including all the humiliation and embarrassing incidents can be forgotten if we can sneak into a tournament that is harder to miss out on than it is to qualify
    The difference is the mentality of teams and supporters. For Ireland away soccer fans the attitude is “win or lose we’re on the booze” aren’t we great craic and everybody loves us.

For Ireland rugby fans traveling away they except the team to win and aren’t just hoping for the best

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    The difference is the mentality of teams and supporters. For Ireland away soccer fans the attitude is “win or lose we’re on the booze” aren’t we great craic and everybody loves us.

For Ireland rugby fans traveling away they except the team to win and aren’t just hoping for the best
    Thats a recent phenomenon, for years Rugby fans definitely had the lads on tour mentality and went on the pi$$ no matter what. Success means that there is an expectation now. You cant say that for years Irish fans went to Paris in the 5 or 6 Nations championship expecting to win.

Sports fans in general are fickle, if a team is successful it bring more people on board and attitudes change. Look at Man City, for years when they were in the lower leagues they had amazing support, now they expect to win so much they cant even sell out home games in the Champions League.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Have you ever been on a rugby away trip?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Anyhow, I hope Ireland wins the upcoming World Cup. Is this thread just for bitter, twisted individuals who should be in therapy?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I re-started this thread because I think Matt Williams is a bitter, twisted individual who needs therapy!

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Have you ever been on a rugby away trip?
    Irish people are Irish people, if we are away in the Curling championship. We will still get ****ed

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

I had four friends who were in Australia at the time and travelled to NZ for the RWC in 2011. Two of them had never been to a rugby game in their lives before the tournament (and I doubt they've been since).

I'm sure the night Ireland bottled it against Wales in the quarter finals they were inconsolable and probably went back to their campervan early after the game in tears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I've only been to one Rugby international ever - the game against France in Cardiff in the last RWC. Win or lose, I was definitely on the booze, and I make no apologies.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/09/2019 at 3:20 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Well, when we're one of the best teams in the world it's reasonable to expect to win. I've been at surprise defeats though (IRL v FRA at Croker for example, 2007?) and quite frankly the lack of disappointment among the corporate invitees I was with really annoyed me. It'd be beyond delusional to have the same expectations of the football team today that we have of our rugby team. Even in the early 90s footy team heyday there was a fair degree of hope added to the high expectations.

But that's neither here nor there really, I just don't see the relevance of your point.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Irish people are Irish people, if we are away in the Curling championship. We will still get ****ed
    Where's that on? Anywhere good for a lads' weekend away?!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Well, when we're one of the best teams in the world it's reasonable to expect to win. I've been at surprise defeats though (IRL v FRA at Croker for example, 2007?) and quite frankly the lack of disappointment among the corporate invitees I was with really annoyed me. It'd be beyond delusional to have the same expectations of the football team today that we have of our rugby team. Even in the early 90s footy team heyday there was a fair degree of hope added to the high expectations.

But that's neither here nor there really, I just don't see the relevance of your point.
    I remember that game. There was a general sense of deflation where I watched it as people realised playing in Croke Park didn't automatically make Ireland five times better, as the England came had fooled people into thinking.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I remember that game. There was a general sense of deflation where I watched it as people realised playing in Croke Park didn't automatically make Ireland five times better, as the England came had fooled people into thinking.
    The France game was before the England one. The sense of deflation was probably due to France scoring a winning try in the last minute to be fair.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    My point was that the people I was with weren't even deflated. And yes, France was first. Game 1 in a great Grand Slam opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Were you deflated?

Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast