Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 88 of 95 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1893

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Quite a few people on this thread happy to see Ireland beaten, (which they've admitted) which is nearly as bad. I can't understand how anyone could take delight in an Irish team losing in any sport.

What makes Ireland's WC performance so disappointing is they went into it with expectations to go a long way in the tournament. None of the we're just happy be here or win or lose we're on the booze nonsense.

Finally anyone who uses that bitter hate fuelled so called journalist Ewan McKenna to back up their beliefs has already lost the argument
    what? cheer for some posh fellas with funny accents, give me a break, delighted they fecked up

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Football is the most popular participation sport in New Zealand: https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...reation/sports
    That says a whole lot about the whole participation line when brought up about football in Ireland too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    But there's still so much that winds me up. I'm a white collar professional in London. As Owls Fan said about his Leeds(?) scene, the sheer underlying assumption I'm a rugby fan first & foremost (if not only) by my fellow Irish at professional networking events just makes me weep. Not to mention being invited to drinks receptions on the night of Irish footy games which has happened a lot
    I have worked for a good few consultancies and banks at this stage. And I'm actually beginning to think that this is what turned me off Rugby as much as anything else. I used to attend any games I could get tickets for when I lived in Dublin, but since I came over to London my interest has seriously waned for it. I would put that side of it down to all the Irish I worked with*, who mainly came from private schools in Ireland, mainly Dublin and Cork but also Limerick. That and the GAA stuff I did, who would have seen Rugby as their "other" sport, even though they have no real connection to any club and also thought Rugby was the main sport behind GAA which it clearly isnt and never was in Ireland.

I remember around the time of Croke Park opening up, it was as if it were only opening up for Rugby, the lads over here who most had never even been in croke park nevermind a GAA game explaining to English lads what it was all about...they hadn't a fcuken clue and then trying to dumb it down for English colleagues. Used to really grate me.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I met an old school mate at a financial conference in London around Easter time. I told I had just been home and had taken my son to Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght. He looked at me with a totally confused look on his face. "Aren't they, you know, kind of like Celtic?" I genuinely think he didn't even know about the LOI. He's from Terenure/Rathfranham.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Football is the most popular participation sport in New Zealand: https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...reation/sports
    I met two NZ tourists, husband and wife in their 70s, in our hotel in Bordeaux during the Euros. I was explaining the format to the husband and he generally didn’t know very much about football. His wife knew a bit more and said her daughter’s kids and most of the kids of their age are now playing more football than rugby because of the fear of head injuries.

It also winds me up when people bang on about how huge rugby is in Wales. Even Newport & Wrexham get broadly comparable crowds to the Pro14 teams, and the big two get massively more, week in, week out. There was a radio documentary "In Wales The Ball Is Round" exploring the perception of rugby being the Welsh national game on BBC4 during the Euros. The narrator was saying never once in his days in school was the Monday morning chat about rugby, it was always about MOTD. There are rugby dominated areas, but these are small towns in the sticks for the most part. North Wales is totally football (southern Liverpool basically).

I think I've made both of these points before on this thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Goons in the media, statements from World Rugby when they can never say anything positive about their game without separating it from football, friends who are rugby supporters only...

I think I told you offline once how I was almost literally ambushed by two pals in a West London pub one night. Vincent Browne wrote an IT column saying that amid all the adulation rugby gets it’s worth noting that there’s a boorish, hard-drinking frat boy culture associated with it and a fair degree of misogyny too. I had the temerity to post a comment underneath the article saying that despite his sensational tone and exaggerations, there’s an element of truth to it. So it wasn’t even a whole endorsement. I added that there’s good & bad in all sports and it’s pointless to compare the worst of one with the best of another. People were spitting blood in the comments section that day! My comment was quite moderate I thought.

After a few beers and amicable chat, my rugby mates turned on me, brought up the online comments I had made, which were months ago now, saying they’d never read such biased rubbish and that I was totally anti-rugby. I pointed out that the previous hour had been spent talking about their trip to the HK 7s, which contained a fair few misogynistic hard-drinking frat boys anecdotes. I also pointed out to one of them that after I texted him about Celtic beating Barcelona he replied “**** your roundball sh1te” and that it was he who was biased. He also told my wife one time that if he had kids he wouldn’t let them play football. His own wife asked how I could show my face in Dublin after my Irish Times comments. I kid you not.

The other mate said he’d be cheering Croatia against us in the Euros because he had a holiday home there! We had a blazing row – well, I got shouted down, I tried to reply in a measured manner. I got both barrels about rugby’s gay refs, no racism blah blah blah, I replied that rugby doesn’t rescue kids from gun & knife crime around the world so it’s a more complicated debate than meets the eye, but no, I was shouted down like some blasphemer by two crazed fundamentalists.

The day after I apologised for my role in the row (even though I felt blameless) and gave a £50 online donation to a rugby spinal injury charity but my mate didn’t reply and didn’t speak to me for 6 months. I can trace my loss of connection with the rugby team to that night. Ever since – in fact, no, before – my rugby sanctimony radar has been turned up to highly sensitive.

The list is long, and that’s why this thread has over 80 pages. My recollection is that the early pages contained lots of pro-rugby / anti-football media bias examples. But you only have to walk around parts of SE Dublin to pick up on the knackerball / wendyball stuff.
    Did anyone think yer mans wife was a scunthorpe fan when reading this? Nothing worse than a woman who has adopted her husbands thinking and gone further with it.

I hope you didnt reply when he text 6 months later Certainly doesnt seem like someone worth associating with.

I wish I had been there that night.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I met two NZ tourists, husband and wife in their 70s, in our hotel in Bordeaux during the Euros. I was explaining the format to the husband and he generally didn’t know very much about football. His wife knew a bit more and said her daughter’s kids and most of the kids of their age are now playing more football than rugby because of the fear of head injuries.

It also winds me up when people bang on about how huge rugby is in Wales. Even Newport & Wrexham get broadly comparable crowds to the Pro14 teams, and the big two get massively more, week in, week out. There was a radio documentary "In Wales The Ball Is Round" exploring the perception of rugby being the Welsh national game on BBC4 during the Euros. The narrator was saying never once in his days in school was the Monday morning chat about rugby, it was always about MOTD. There are rugby dominated areas, but these are small towns in the sticks for the most part. North Wales is totally football (southern Liverpool basically).

I think I've made both of these points before on this thread
    I Think its a similar thing to Ireland national team and football. When it comes to "Wales" it is about the rugby. At a national level I think this point sticks though.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I hope you didnt reply when he text 6 months later Certainly doesnt seem like someone worth associating with.
    I think you've met him! We had lunch together in Canary Wharf one time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Oh that w@nker!

Only joking, I remember the lunch but I can't remember that guy, I clearly removed him from memory to do with the "worth associating with " bit. I only remember the other fella who admitted less interest in football but wasn't dismissive of it so I'm guessing its not him. Was he at that pub near Birkbeck?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Interesting piece here on GAA players efforts to enrich themselves, which caused a bit of a minor conniption with Dean Rock this week: https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/20...-a-hard-place/

If you're good at something, never do it for free!
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Top 50 watched shows in 2021 released: https://www.tamireland.ie/top-50-tv-programmes-2021/
    No Ireland footall game in the top ten, only one in the top twenty, and four in total in the top 50
    England's semi final against Denmark and final against Italy are fourth and third, respectively
    All the six nations games are in the top 20, except Italy
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Top 50 watched shows in 2021 released: https://www.tamireland.ie/top-50-tv-programmes-2021/
    No Ireland footall game in the top ten, only one in the top twenty, and four in total in the top 50
    England's semi final against Denmark and final against Italy are fourth and third, respectively
    All the six nations games are in the top 20, except Italy

Interesting. I guess the numbers for the Euros would exclude the thousands watching it on the beeb etc?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Rugby sponsor with vested interest in raising rugby's profile sponsors poll that finds rugby is not just a sport but a way of life.

Energia survey of ... Energia customers. Mmm-hmm. That passes every objective test for unbiased and reliable research I can think of.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Rugby sponsor with vested interest in raising rugby's profile sponsors poll that finds rugby is not just a sport but a way of life.

Energia survey of ... Energia customers. Mmm-hmm. That passes every objective test for unbiased and reliable research I can think of.
    God help us. Would joe Duffy ever leave the poor Wolfe Tones alone and go after this nonsense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Who cares which is most popular?
    They’re all very popular on the island and all wonderful games to watch and play

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I hated playing rugby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I hated playing rugby!
    Played a few games when I was younger. Loved it
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    I hated playing rugby!
    I hated playing hurling when younger and loved Gaelic football. Yet you'd have to pay me to watch a football match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    I hated playing hurling when younger and loved Gaelic football. Yet you'd have to pay me to watch a football match.
    Hurling is the greatest game in the world
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Its fairly simple rugby is going well at the moment so loads of interest. The same when ladies team were in world cup. Great interest in Formula 1 when Eddie Jordan had a team in it.So not surprising. We in general get behind Irish teams regardless of sport so hopefully they will do well.

27. Thanks From:

Page 88 of 95 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast