Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It all goes in cycles, they will create buzz by playing well.

That said, I was born in the US and I have friends that are both Irish born and Irish-AM and I have to tell you I know a ton of people taking off or leaving at 12 to get to a bar and watch the game. There is a bar in Times SQ that has had a big sign up since monday at 7AM and I know a lot of Irish working here who are excited and in to it, girls and guys alike. i actually think this game has been as talked about as any in recent memory from the ex pats I know who are here.... As for empty seats and all that it happens, If Liverpool goes a while without being good it will happen there. Its not going to happen over night missing 4 tourneys in a row.
    You should see the Mets crowds, there were like a smattering of people there the last few weeks and their Stadium is barely 2 years old and cost $600 Million. You have to prove to the marginal fans that things are good to get people inside.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    there are countries who have never qualified for a tournament but there is always excitement when their national sides play
    I think you're being a bit harsh here. Ireland have consistently had some of the highest crowds in Europe for even the most meaningless friendly games. The numbers attending Lansdowne Road for the Andorra game and for the Russia game this week will be very comparable with the crowds during the peak of the Charlton era. The Croke Park years were exceptional but it was clear from the atmosphere there that many of the people attending were not regular football fans.

Take the example of Slovakia who we play next week. When we played them in Bratislava in 2007 there were almost as many Irish fans in the stadium as there were Slovakians. However, now they have qualified for a World Cup and done well their team is attracting much more attention.

Every country will be able to attract crowds when they are doing well. There are very few teams who will maintain that level of support through the bad times. Ireland have managed to achieve that and our average attendance for competitive games since 1982 is around 38,000 (despite the 14 restricted capacity years in Lansdowne Road). Apart from the major football countries (England, Germany, Italy and Spain) I don't think you will find another European team that can match those kind of numbers over such a long period.
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 06/10/2010 at 3:34 AM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    This whole thing with Irish people of supporting English clubs way more then the Ireland Team does my head in.
    I will never forget sitting in a bar in Dundalk when some fool booed Robbie Keane's goal in Amsterdam in a friendly in 2004 - the reason ...Rudd Van Nistohorseface was playing for Man Utd. He cheered every touch he made...Maddess

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    i have always thought there was about 25 - 30,000 proper Irish fans who deep down care about the team and will attend all the home games and what they can away. the rest who turn up have only a casual interest only and appear to sit near me at matches!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    if such apathy exists in Ireland then it is just part of the global problem. People who are suffering from the recession are losing patience with the spoilt, overpaid, forgive my french, a*seholes who play the game today. National pride, in football terms, is disappearing too. It is a bother for players.
    Thankfully our team has the likes of Duffer, Killer Lawro and the rest.

Roll on Friday.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    This whole thing with Irish people of supporting English clubs way more then the Ireland Team does my head in.
    I will never forget sitting in a bar in Dundalk when some fool booed Robbie Keane's goal in Amsterdam in a friendly in 2004 - the reason ...Rudd Van Nistohorseface was playing for Man Utd. He cheered every touch he made...Maddess
    I watched the Norway friendly in bar in Cork a couple of years back. We were one up. A guy walked in and asked "who scored?", some other chap answered "Robbie Keane". The guy that walked in replied "oh yeah typical, he can't score for Liverpool at all". Clearly his form for Liverpool was more important. I watch the PL too, don't get me wrong, but people over here couldn't possible have the same connection with an English club as their national side, even if they believe they do.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I watched the Norway friendly in bar in Cork a couple of years back. We were one up. A guy walked in and asked "who scored?", some other chap answered "Robbie Keane". The guy that walked in replied "oh yeah typical, he can't score for Liverpool at all". Clearly his form for Liverpool was more important. I watch the PL too, don't get me wrong, but people over here couldn't possible have the same connection with an English club as their national side, even if they believe they do.
    there are alot of idiots in the world.Simple as that really
    Its really not that complicated!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    We just need to qualify for a major finals. The buzz will come back. The 2m people watching the Paris match were watching because of the prospect of us qualifying for something. As soon as we do the nation will be spellbound by football for as long as we are in it, in a way it never is by rugby. Rugby is on the comedown from the grandslam, and they will have to do it again soon enough to keep the bandwagon rolling.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I prefer the Int'l game to the Prem any day of the week. Guess that's just me. I forget which game was on last saturday at 9 AM here but the stadium was half empty and the game so boring i almost fell asleep despite having just woken up...
    Every Ireland game is 90 mins of being on the edge of my seat in my opinion. I'm sure Friday and Tues will be no different.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Can't believe this thread even got off the ground.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Whatever the atmosphere in Ireland is like, it can only be better than in Russia. Having booed the team off in the last match and completely turned on Arshavin, the public and media are actually hoping for a 0-0. If Russia lose on Friday Advocaat is a result in Zilina away from the sack. The squad he's selected is poor, the players he has at his disposal (as chosen by the 2 men behind the team) are weak, and the main headlines here are: psychics and fortune tellers cannot advertise on tv and radio anymore (it's a 2billion dollar a year business) and what will happen to the statues in Moscow. Yet 2 years ago the "whole country" was behind the red, white and blue machine - conveniently neglecting to remember that the public only want to see winners and effort, but not losing effort like in Ireland.

Going back to 1987/88 Ireland lucked out and went to Germany, the style of football suited Irish culture and brought in and GAA liberals (lump it up to the big full forward mentality), we've changed now to where we suck the life out of games and the natural Irish instinct of "fe&k it, let's go" is curbed. It'll take us a while to get the hang of it, though it's what eventually builds winning mentalities (just look at how absolute rotten our amateur boxers "box" yet win all around them). We just have to adapt.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Bingo of a post.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    psychics and fortune tellers cannot advertise on tv and radio anymore (it's a 2billion dollar a year business).
    Fair play to 'em! well done Russia! Seriously.

...and we now take you back to the (ridiculous) topic.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Whatever the atmosphere in Ireland is like, it can only be better than in Russia. Having booed the team off in the last match and completely turned on Arshavin, the public and media are actually hoping for a 0-0. If Russia lose on Friday Advocaat is a result in Zilina away from the sack. The squad he's selected is poor, the players he has at his disposal (as chosen by the 2 men behind the team) are weak, and the main headlines here are: psychics and fortune tellers cannot advertise on tv and radio anymore (it's a 2billion dollar a year business) and what will happen to the statues in Moscow. Yet 2 years ago the "whole country" was behind the red, white and blue machine - conveniently neglecting to remember that the public only want to see winners and effort, but not losing effort like in Ireland.

Even more reason why this game is a must win for us, if we really want to top the group, then we NEED to win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Was just chatting to a friend on facebook, discussing the match. Here's what he posted...

There really isn't anything in life that gets me as worked up as Ireland internationals. Any given game could be something monumental in a good or bad way. 0-0 draws with Liechtenstein, last second equalisers against Macedonia and Israel, disgraceful defeats to Cyprus, Thierry Henry, Patrick Kluivert, that night of misery in Lisbon, losing playoff after playoff... or Ray Houghton putting the ball in the English net, Kevin Sheedy shutting the English up again, Packie saving Timofte's penno, Alan McLoughlin's equaliser against the north, Glory in the Giant's stadium with Macca at his finest, Matty Holland's stunner in Lisbon, Keano's one man show against Portugal in Landsdowne, Jason McAteer's winner against the Dutch, Robbie's equaliser against Germany, Glen Whelan against the Italians, the entire performance in Paris, 6 points from 6 so far. COME...ON...YOU...BOYS IN GREEN!!!!
    At least some of us aren't abandoning the team!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I prefer the Int'l game to the Prem any day of the week. Guess that's just me.
    No I'm the same... I cant understand anyone supporting an English/Scottish club more than they're own country.
    I feel no connection to any team other than TBIG. My country is my club, win, lose or draw.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I never get excited by a premiership match the same way as an Irish game. Even if Aston Villa got to the Champions League final, it wouldn't be as nervy as a 2-1 win over Macedonia.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    I never get excited by a premiership match the same way as an Irish game. Even if Aston Villa got to the Champions League final, it wouldn't be as nervy as a 2-1 win over Macedonia.
    same here, league football is a diversion. it doesn't really bother me that we're not expansive, i'm so engrossed by the game i find it hard to be objective about it anyway. kicking every ball and all that.

there are people, irish people, who would take pleasure in ireland failing because they way we play. they say that's the reason, at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Can't believe this thread even got off the ground.
    why? its a fair question. our biggest home group game not selling out, not the same hype in the media about a qualifier that there once was etc etc

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I have to say I much prefer it when there is less hype in the media. Hype usually means inside pages, wags, predict the result goldfish etc etc..Anyone who follows Irish football and can't get themselves riled up for a game like this (and not having a go at you JByrne who is a real fan) should stay away. Don't care about them. Personally I ****ing love these games.

Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast