Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    11.98 Euro for an u-16 ticket, not bad for a working man. He can go to the match with his child for 45 euro. Friendlies are such a waste of time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Most people pay their tickets well before the game takes place, and so their costs on gamenight are considerably lower.
    not sure what this point is about. the ticket still had to be paid for at some stage

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    If anyone wants to go along tonight and hasnt a ticket or even better wants to bring their kid, we have two west uppers going spare, bang on half way line. PM me if interested. Will let the two go for 30e. Meet outside the ground tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Re-opening thread with new title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Don't know if there was many from here who went last night? We went as per usual, same general area, and there was some laugh. There was a bigger group of us in the SS than I expected, or any of us expected, and I'm quite hoarse again this morning, which is usually testament to how good (or bad) the atmosphere is.

The FAI could do themselves a favour and close the upper tiers (or at least shoe-horn) people into the lower tiers first.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    in a rare (unprecedented?) display of wisdom, the fai have scrapped the painful ticket bundling scheme:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/...d_tickets.html

good.
    Last edited by zero; 30/03/2011 at 5:19 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

8. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    A supporter following Man U or other Premiership team or indeed any club side has to fork out for 25 home games a season. The Irish supporter is asked to shell out for 3 or 4 home competitive games a season and he moans about the price. As I said before, there is a hard core support of about 25k and the rest of the country will join the band wagon and not worry about the price if there is any success. C'est la vie.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Most people pay their tickets well before the game takes place, and so their costs on gamenight are considerably lower. A lot of people use private buses, and trains, either local or national. Irish Rail put extra trains on, and night trains back. For food, people can get it at reasonable prices away from Lansdowne. I don't pay for food or drink at Lansdowne, just a couple of Euro for transport, and a bit more for food elsewhere. That's about as far as it goes. No programmes, no merchandise. Don't need it.

Television is a major factor in rugger's appeal. So much so that RTE are prioritising U-20 egg-chasing over senior LOI football on a Friday night. TV can make even the most mundane sports games glamourous. Ireland games are always on RTE, the province games are always on tv. People take notice when you're on tv. If Rovers progress in European competition this summer, we'll be on tv much more often, and LOI will attract much more interest than normal. If Ireland qualify for the European finals, come next June 12 months, everyone will be watching our games, and nobody will give a flying banana about rugby.

Our attendance on Saturday night would have sold out the old Lansdowne, it only looks poor because of the stadium's much bigger capacity now.
    Ryle Nugent is head of sport in RTE.
    Unsurprisingly lot of their budget is heading in the direction of rugby coverage.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I wonder will same be considered for the Block Booking Scheme (i.e. compulsory purchase of friendlies)? Probably not and normally I wouldnt think it should be, I suppose its just the heavy skew towards friendlies in this current block booking that has made it seem unreasonable in my opinon.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    in a rare (unprecedented?) display of wisdom, the fai have scrapped the painful ticket bundling scheme:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/...d_tickets.html

good.
    the FAIs block booking and season tickets were previous displays of wisdom where loyal fans get rewarded. their away ticket distribution and the free train to Zilnia when the slovaks changed the venue for our recent qualifier are other cases in point.
    its not their fault that we live in a land of event junkies. over 45,000 were willing to pay as much as €70 to watch man utds reserves play last august, enough said
    Last edited by jbyrne; 31/03/2011 at 7:15 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Ryle Nugent is head of sport in RTE.
    Unsurprisingly lot of their budget is heading in the direction of rugby coverage.
    A lot of it's still going to football - they must be paying a fair whack for the epl highlights package - it's just not going to domestic football, unlike the rugby. And what reaction do you think they'd get from the greatest fans in the world if they dropped that (on the basis the highlights are FTA on BBC later) in favour of putting the money into domestic football coverage, or even underage games?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The Irish supporter is asked to shell out for 3 or 4 home competitive games a season and he moans about the price.
    In fairness, most LoI season tickets will cost less than going to the three competitive Ireland games this year. It is expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, most LoI season tickets will cost less than going to the three competitive Ireland games this year. It is expensive.
    is it? i have a fantastic seat in the east upper that costs me about €34 a match, a 1/3 the cost of a rugby ticket. i think its value for money

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    I've been paying E50 for all the competitive games so far; that's E150 for the three games (the article linked says competitive tickets are between E45 and E60; don't know how you're paying E34? Should have kept that one quiet!). There's info on LoI season tickets here - between E100 and E200.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the FAIs block booking and season tickets were previous displays of wisdom where loyal fans get rewarded. their away ticket distribution and the free train to Zilnia when the slovaks changed the venue for our recent qualifier are other cases in point.
    its not their fault that we live in a land of event junkies. over 45,000 were willing to pay as much as €70 to watch man utds reserves play last august, enough said
    There's an element of truth to that jb. A guarenteed ticket scheme is a good idea, but does it not lose it's merit if it's a pick and choose system?
    I find it hard to be either black or white on the issue. I do feel ticket prices are too high, but I don't feel that way because the product isn't good or because the opposition are poor either.
    Like any young family money is tight in our gaff, but Ireland matches are about the only social luxury I have so I sacrifice elsewhere to make sure I make the games. I live down the country too, so it's not always convenient to get to the games, or more specifically, to get home from the games. I wanted to stay till the end of the Uruguay game so it meant missing my last train, getting a train that doesn't go as far and getting a taxi the rest of the way - that wasn't cheap. It probably isn't worth it, all things considered, but I can just about justify it at home so no hassle there. I don't drink as a result this keeps matchday costs quite low, but it doesn't stop me going into scruffy's or wherever for the pregame singsong.
    Something that I would like to see would be a proper price grading. Lumping all sections, all tiers, all oppostion together is just plain lazy. A few pints on a train shouldn't be enough to effectively bribe a group of supporters into silence. It's for times like this that Delaney should justify the salary. A structure where competitive games against top 25 in rankings = €x, then competitive against 25-50 = €x-5, 50+ = €x-10. Then apply the same system (but dropped by 10% across the board). There has to be a better way.

The only thing I do feel guilty about is the referring to the 45k at the United game as event junkies - for the simple reason, that I'm an event junkie - I don't go to LOI games on a regular basis - so it's a bit hypocritical whinging about others.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    There's no easy answer to all of this. This is one of those threads where almost every post has had some substantial truth to it. I think if David Kelly is tarred & feathered it'd be a good start.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Any policy of inflicting pain or embarrasment on that man is worthwhile.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    I wonder will same be considered for the Block Booking Scheme (i.e. compulsory purchase of friendlies)? Probably not and normally I wouldnt think it should be, I suppose its just the heavy skew towards friendlies in this current block booking that has made it seem unreasonable in my opinon.
    I'm in the position at the moment where I can afford to pay for the season ticket including those friendlies, so I am happy to do so.

I understand the FAI need money and its almost like jp mcmanus(no i dont have any money like him only example i could think of) paying little tax but giving money to the things he likes, me being an exile I feel its a duty almost.

However I can understand that many people cant and would be annoyed about this, but the FAI will hardly send out an option to say whether or not you want the friendlies on the application form in the future( i didnt use that "other" dread term like stutts does)....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Kingdom your point about top 25 ranking, Urgauy is 7th in the world, yet no one was there.....

JD gets paid to do his job, his jobs remit cant encompass getting people who don't have the money to go to games, or who just don't have the same interest in supporting our National team anymore. We are quite a fickle bunch of people really - not me but You(national lottery finger)
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 21 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast