Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182
Results 1,621 to 1,629 of 1629

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It was grand, all fairly obvious points I thought. Incomparable fixtures always seem to be the catalyst for these, well, comparisons. It's too easy.

Clearly rugby is in a better place right here, right now. Things can change faster than people seem to realise though.
    early has compared the rugby team at probably its highest ever point with the football team arguably at its lowest ever point (certainly since the mid 80s). the articles conclusions are therefore hardly a surprise.

i cant help feeling that no matter how bad the rugby team ever got, and for most of the 90s it was dreadful, that it ever received as much negative press as the football team gets when at its low points.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,134 Posts
    hmmm - Irish rugby team less popular than English football team?
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Similar enough numbers watched the Croatia - England game on Wednesday night on RTE as watched the England - Ireland Grand Slam decider in March, with the rugby being watched by more online

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    hmmm - Irish rugby team less popular that English football team?
    That's not fair Tets, just how many like myself tuned in to see England get beaten and were cheering on Croatia

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    I don't see kids playing rugby in the streets.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    628 Posts
    Kind of an apples and oranges comparison? World cup semi versus a friendly in different codes?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    I don't see kids playing rugby in the streets.

Do kids still play on the streets?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post

i cant help feeling that no matter how bad the rugby team ever got, and for most of the 90s it was dreadful, that it ever received as much negative press as the football team gets when at its low points.
    Absolutely. In fact when the Golden Generation underperformed to their ability in the 2000s there was barely a murmur. Beating England regularly is a great way to have people on your side in Ireland. When the football team underperformed they were brutal, overpaid, detached and even cowards for not playing in Tbilisi.

In general I thought the article was fair. He highlighted the different operating landscape: Football has a healthy international pyramid of 56 countries and national leagues (and that's just Europe) where population and TV market matters. AIL clubs couldn't sustain pro rugby but the provinces can play in a cross border league, one of the 3 biggest in Europe with guaranteed entry European rugby's biggest cups, and the national team competes with a guaranteed spot in a huge international competition - driven by French and British TV audiences - that is closed to new entrants and which distributes no money outside its member countries. He also highlighted just how brilliant a player you need to be just to be considered mediocre in football.

I do think our rugby system has produced players pretty much as well as any system can produce in a country of our size and that deserves great credit. But would a comparably gifted and well coached sprinter or middle distance runner, or tennis player achieve such elevated standing in the world game? The route to the top of rugby is far less crowded and less cut throat than most sports.

I loathe the blazers that run the FAI so I'm not looking to stick uo for them, but even the financial comparisons aren't 100% fair. In 2005 both associations earned the same income. Today ours is the same more or less, IRFU's has doubled. Obviously bums on seats and sponsorship counts but pro rugby was an underexploited TV product then, football was at a far more mature stage in its product life cycle. Guaranteed annual TV money in a growing market counts. To generate much extra revenue the FAI needs to actually qualify for a tournament - equivalent, or close to it in my mind, in difficulty to winning the 6N or being damned close.

The Aviva stadium debate has arguments on both sides. In the mid-2000s the FAI had to do something. I'd have preferred an eircom park style solution myself but still. The IRFU has done well with its real estate (more profits from a site at Red Cow announced last week), whereas the FAI got burnt. Real estate can be very capricious - look at the windfall Bohs nearly achieved.

It hurts that we're the ugly stepchild right now but maybe this is what's needed in the long term.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 20/11/2018 at 8:28 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Do kids still play on the streets?
    I don't see kids playing IRB2019 on their PS4s

(I know IRB is called World Rugby now)
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 20/11/2018 at 8:29 AM.

12. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    713 Posts
    Tuned in to Prime Time last night as there was apparently going to be a big debate on the future of Irish football (which Prime Time thinks is just the international side). All we got were clips of Ireland scoring against the All Blacks (in a friendly) and a half empty Aviva just before the final whistle against Northern Ireland (totally unfair comparison) and Pat Dolan saying MONKE should go. That was it and it was the last item on the programme !! I had to sit through the lack of women professors and broadband down the country. If that's a debate on Irish football then I am a Bohs supporter.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

14. Thanks From:

Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182