Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I love when someone who has clearly grown up in time of economic prosperity feels compelled to judge those who may not have been so fortunate. Ireland has a history of emigration dating back to the famine and before, I like many other people who grew up in the 80’s had to leave to make a future, many of my friends went back some have stayed some have left again. I have moved all around the world, London, Oz, and now South Africa, I feel lucky and privileged to have been able to do this but to me Ireland is still my home, even if I never live there again.
    So how f—king dare you judge whether I am Irish or not, I was born and bred in Ireland, I speak the language, I will never be anything other than Irish, I carry an Irish passport, as will my children.
    I hope for your sake the recession does bite so hard that you are forced like I was to leave your friends and family to try and build a future elsewhere.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Well that's something that I've never understood. You've chosen to live in Australia, that is your country of choice, you might have a romantic view of yourself being 100% Irish or whatever you like but you're not part of the community here, you don't live the day to day life or communicate with the people here all the time every day. I speak form experience knowing many Americans with distant Irish relatives who claim to be heavily Irish despite never actually being in the country. For some people being "Irish" is some abstract romance thing in their head that makes them special as its something unique to them compared to the people around them. To me, being Irish is choosing Ireland as your home, Australia is your home and it was your decision to make it that, just like it's my decision to choose Ireland as mine.
    You should get out more.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    As per my original point - Because you never have full possession of the ball in soccer ( unlike in rugby) beating a player is a far superior skill I see nothing in your response that refutes this apart from a silly comment about a tackle.

I disagree. In soccer the defending player has to target the ball in the tackle. In rugby the defending player targets the player with the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I'll be closing this if it continues off-topic. If you want to have a chat with someone about your origins, use the PM system. If you want to throw smart comments about, just save everybody the bother and log out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

back on topic...

There are skills in both games & it's dumb to suggest rugby is all brute force and ignorance.

In my opinion there are few things in sport that match the beauty of Rob Kearney fielding a high ball in rugby. The guy is truly world class. So too is BO'D. However, the question posed in my mind is would BO'D be world class if rugby was the truly global game and countries with populations of 50-200 million played the game, or would he just be another really good player?

What about all the great running backs in NFL - would they be great rugby players if that was the game they were brought up in and played professionally? Would Robbie Keane be world-class if football was only played in Commonwealth / ex-Commonwealth countries?

Rugby also deserves great credit for its governance, especially when compared with other niche-like "international" sports like cricket, where governance is a shambles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Viewing figures for Ireland v France were 858,000 from start to finish with a peak of 1.1 million towards the end...anyone know the figures for the rugby on Sunday by any chance?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The Irish middle/upper class controlled media have a whole lot to do with this.

But also:

Munster and Leinster have won the equivalent of soccer's Champions League and Ireland have won what is basically the equivalent of the European Championship. You can see where the support is being generated from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram
    Munster and Leinster have won the equivalent of soccer's Champions League and Ireland have won what is basically the equivalent of the European Championship. You can see where the support is being generated from.
    The European Championship in rugby is 6 teams. The Euros in football is 53. I think our football team would win the Euros with only 6 in it.

Munster and Leinster won a 6-country tournament. The CL is open to everyone. There is no comparison in either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    The European Championship in rugby is 6 teams. The Euros in football is 53. I think our football team would win the Euros with only 6 in it.
    Even if the six included England, France and Italy?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

Munster and Leinster won a 6-country tournament. The CL is open to everyone. There is no comparison in either.
    Really. Our Team would win in a 6 team tournament with England, France, Italy, Scotland and Wales in it? I like your optimism.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    The Irish middle/upper class controlled media have a whole lot to do with this.

But also:

What are you trying to say? Rugby has always been a popular sport in this country. Landsdowne Road is a rugby stadium and has always been full for 5 & 6 nations for as long as I remember, (which stretches back to the early 80s) and remember the capacity at Landsdowne for a Rugby match 50,000 and more.
    Croke Park has been full AFAIK for every 6 nation game played there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There are skills in both games & it's dumb to suggest rugby is all brute force and ignorance.

In my opinion there are few things in sport that match the beauty of Rob Kearney fielding a high ball in rugby. The guy is truly world class. So too is BO'D. However, the question posed in my mind is would BO'D be world class if rugby was the truly global game and countries with populations of 50-200 million played the game, or would he just be another really good player?

What about all the great running backs in NFL - would they be great rugby players if that was the game they were brought up in and played professionally? Would Robbie Keane be world-class if football was only played in Commonwealth / ex-Commonwealth countries?

Rugby also deserves great credit for its governance, especially when compared with other niche-like "international" sports like cricket, where governance is a shambles.
    Yes he would. Quite simply the man is a genius. The question should be would he be world class if Irish rugby had continued down the path it was on before it turned pro? No he wouldn't. Will Ireland continue to produce world class rugby players? Yes. Why? Because Rugby is set up to succeed regardless of what other countries are doing. Football unfortunately is set up to fail. Football in Ireland must be restructured drastically or Rugby will kick its arse.
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    The Provincial structure is not unique, it's modelled entirely on the All-Black set-up, local clubs, provinces, national team at the top of the pyramid with first dibs on the players availability. Everything revolves around the national team first and foremost, the provinces come secondary to that.
    Warren Gatland was in charge of Ireland in the early days of professionalism and was very influential in the structure.
    I didnt say it was unique. Gatland took charge in 98, 3 years after the formal restructure he had nothing to do with it. Either way it is a great system especially in NZ where they still get big crowds for club rugby as well as the super 14 games.
    Help something bit me!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkCut View Post
    I didnt say it was unique. Gatland took charge in 98, 3 years after the formal restructure he had nothing to do with it. Either way it is a great system especially in NZ where they still get big crowds for club rugby as well as the super 14 games.
    It was Brian Ashton former Ireland and England manager that recommended that the professional structure be around the Provinces feeding into the National Team.
    Last edited by colster; 17/11/2009 at 2:52 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster View Post
    Really. Our Team would win in a 6 team tournament with England, France, Italy, Scotland and Wales in it? I like your optimism.
    We've only won it once in 20 years and I'd safely state that if there was an equivalent football tournament we'd probably even have won it more than that in the past 2 decades.

You also ignore the fact that rugby union is nowhere near as popular in Scotland or England as football. We could probably beat both in tiddlywinks also.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/11/2009 at 4:05 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    We've only won it once in 20 years and I'd safely state that if there was an equivalent football tournament we'd probably even have won it more than that in the past 2 decades.
    Are you serious? How many qualifying groups have we won in that time?

Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    You also ignore the fact that rugby union is nowhere near as popular in Scotland or England as football. We could probably beat both in tiddlywinks also.
    It's not as popular as soccer but what is? It's still played by significant number of people. In England it's popular enough to support a fully professional league, an 82000 seater stadium for the national team and significant media coverage for all the major competitions or matches. In Scotland, admittedly the numbers are falling but you a similar thing is happening there in football.
    The fact that Ireland were able to produce a Grandslam winning team against nations like France, England and Wales who have more players and more professional clubs is I think a great achievement, If you add to that the fact that they have been 2 on numerous occasions over the last decade then it is even more so.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What are you trying to say? Rugby has always been a popular sport in this country. Landsdowne Road is a rugby stadium and has always been full for 5 & 6 nations for as long as I remember, (which stretches back to the early 80s) and remember the capacity at Landsdowne for a Rugby match 50,000 and more.
    Croke Park has been full AFAIK for every 6 nation game played there.
    How about you read the thread title and read my post, and if you can't figure out what I am "trying to say" maybe you need to read it a few times more, but I didn't think it was written in code. Unreal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its an annual tournament, I'm sure we could win it once every 50 years or so.......just like rugby!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If there was a soccer tournament with just Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Italy EVERY YEAR, then I am fairly confident Ireland would of won it at some stage in the last 40-50 years

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    How about you read the thread title and read my post, and if you can't figure out what I am "trying to say" maybe you need to read it a few times more, but I didn't think it was written in code. Unreal
    I take your point. I think this thread title is meant to be tongue in cheek.
    A lot of people have taken the bait and got all precious about it, some making sweeping generalisations about the people who support rugby.

Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast