Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 73 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1893

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What would define "battling to be recognised" in that article?
    From reading through it, to be treated the same as the other sports in the same school

Would the GAA be defined as battling for recognition in CBS Limerick or are they just not visible enough to be recognised?
    There are no hurling or gaelic football teams in the school at all anymore.

Is soccer really batting to be recognised in a number of schools or are they just not visible enough?
    I don't know, but I can name several schoolboy teams off the top of my head, I genuinely can't tell you any schools that would be known for soccer

Would it be a similar or worse scenario for rugby?
    There are several schools in Dublin, and Limerick, that would be well known as "rugby" schools. There are schools I know in Limerick and Clare that would be known as GAA schools. I can't speak for any other cities
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Tets, no need to use the Gather Round príckly approach of chopping up a post, taking away context.
    My questions are with the article not with you, why do you put yourself forward to answer my questions that are solely to do with the content in the article?
    The article is cráp journalism, it's juvenile junk standard journalism trying to depict soccer still battling against the odds against discrimination in the present day.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I don't know of any schools that play or played soccer in my county bar on the border with the eastern front so that might have had some of the catchment from our county.

I know every school plays Gaelic and/or hurling and funnily enough many play Basketball! Not even thought of soccer.

We even got a day off for golf!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The article is fairly well founded from my perspective and experience growing up.

I'd imagine dublin is well balanced and perhaps cork, I'd be pretty sure down the west its not. Granted gweedore and belmullet have been there or thereabouts a few times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Tets, no need to use the Gather Round príckly approach of chopping up a post, taking away context.
    My questions are with the article not with you, why do you put yourself forward to answer my questions that are solely to do with the content in the article?
    The article is cráp journalism, it's juvenile junk standard journalism trying to depict soccer still battling against the odds against discrimination in the present day.
    GR isn't the only poster who's ever done that. I've always split questions into separate quotes, it makes it easier to see which point I'm addressing.
    There's still discrimination of soccer players, I know one boy who was told if he continued playing for his soccer club, he wouldn't be picked for his GAA side
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    GR isn't the only poster who's ever done that. I've always split questions into separate quotes, it makes it easier to see which point I'm addressing.
    There's still discrimination of soccer players, I know one boy who was told if he continued playing for his soccer club, he wouldn't be picked for his GAA side
    When snips are taken out of context in a reply, they take on a different meaning.
    It is ethical to break up your reply into different sections as long as your snips don't discard context. It not considered ethical to discard context from a reply you are answering.
    On behalf of the journalist, you answered 3 snipped rhetorical questions, while discarding my take on the rhetorical.

The article panders to people who have a preconceived or an anecdotal notion that soccer is selectively being discriminated against. The journalist doesn't offer any substance to support that, apart from relaying well known incidents from past history. The first 3 chapters are about a tale from 1982 and later the old standby is thrown in for good measure, the tale of Liam Brady from 50 years ago.
    One example is offered from the present day
    'Just this year students in Clontarf’s Mount Temple CS were told that there would be no soccer team as it was diminishing the numbers available for the hockey squad'

Presumably the hockey team has an established priority to receive support. But soccer is still being played at that Clontarf school they have 5 a side for males and the female soccer team are ready to compete with other schools. That does not read to me as a battle for recognition, just normal stuff for a sport gradually making its mark in a school with a hockey ethos.

GAA Soccer and Rugby are not played in many schools around the country, but are each being discriminated against? I would say all 3 are being discriminated against, each to varying degrees but mainly due to the traditional ethos in each school. Are solid attempts to start soccer in the schools being deliberately scuttled? And does this happen just with soccer? If so then let the journalist give many examples in order to support his headline. In the total absence of any structure and any support, the article constitutes waffle which panders to prejudice.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts

GAA Soccer and Rugby are not played in many schools around the country, but are each being discriminated against? I would say all 3 are being discriminated against, each to varying degrees but mainly due to the traditional ethos in each school. Are solid attempts to start soccer in the schools being deliberately scuttled? And does this happen just with soccer? If so then let the journalist give many examples in order to support his headline. In the total absence of any structure and any support, the article constitutes waffle which panders to prejudice.
    I went to an Irish speaking school. GAA was probably the main sport but soccer was played also. There was a teacher who organised the soccer who was soccer mad. There was even a 6-a-side league at lunch time between the different classes. The GAA was taken by different teachers depending on the year. Many students played both.
    The school now, I believe, competes in Rugby.
    There was never any obvious bias or preference from what I could see and sport was encouraged by the principal but never to the extent that it interfered too much with schoolwork. Much to many of the students' dismay.

The best thing about all of this was that I never saw any student giving out or moaning that one sport got preference over another. if there was a demand and someone to organise it, we'd compete in it.

There was even a golf team at one stage because about 3 lads in the school were mad into golf
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    When snips are taken out of context in a reply, they take on a different meaning. It is ethical to break up your reply into different sections as long as your snips don't discard context. It not considered ethical to discard context from a reply you are answering
    What is this, the moral maze?

If you- or anyone- can't make your point clearly in a brief paragraph or even sentence, maybe it ain't worth making. Don't blame others' supposed lack of ethics for your inability to tell long-winded waffle from analysis.

My school (in Belfast, founded 1868, state religion RU), announced its first official association football team about five years ago.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Analysis? Where?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I went to an Irish speaking school. GAA was probably the main sport but soccer was played also. There was a teacher who organised the soccer who was soccer mad. There was even a 6-a-side league at lunch time between the different classes. The GAA was taken by different teachers depending on the year. Many students played both.
    The school now, I believe, competes in Rugby.
    There was never any obvious bias or preference from what I could see and sport was encouraged by the principal but never to the extent that it interfered too much with schoolwork. Much to many of the students' dismay.

The best thing about all of this was that I never saw any student giving out or moaning that one sport got preference over another. if there was a demand and someone to organise it, we'd compete in it. There was even a golf team at one stage because about 3 lads in the school were mad into golf
    Belmullet, a school in the Mayo Gaeltacht area won a national u17 competition, senior B level. Times have changed a long time ago.
    http://www.faischools.ie/national
    The FAI were claiming that spread evenly throughout the land, there are soccer teams in 1500 primary and 500 secondary schools competing.
    I haven't got a clue, what that means in proportion to other school sports.

Which would be more important? I'd say primary schools without any doubt. Sport in schools has obvious importance and providing choice with basic coaching for each sport.
    But for developing a young footballer, the most important factor is quality of coaching, whether a kid is only playing at school or both school and football club. I'd say it's the club which has to be the dominant influence in the community. The school is just a place the young footballer passes through.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Ewan McKenna tweeted a video by Jamie Heaslip of some of the Irish team on an Aer Lingus flight. Them rugby boys are great craic. Reminds me why I thought the UCD rugby crew were a bunch of tools when all together, fine as individuals.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya and the way they keep calling the air hostesses name. Any rugby club I've seen when they get a group of lads together act like to this. They think they're great craic altogether.

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Larry Ryan on the bursting of the rugby bubble: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/c...sh-383097.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Larry Ryan on the bursting of the rugby bubble: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/c...sh-383097.html
    He comes across as being as stupid and biased as Neil Francis. Strong possibility that the provinces will give a 49% share to businesses or individuals like in New Zealand which would certainly reinvigorate them. On the attrition rate in rugby, it really is a concern, but not terminal for the game.
    Last edited by gastric; 22/02/2016 at 7:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    if you really want to see a stupid and biased article, read Joe Brolly's latest stream of consciousness defence of the GAA against all evils

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    He comes across as being as stupid and biased as Neil Francis. Strong possibility that the provinces will give a 49% share to businesses or individuals like in New Zealand which would certainly reinvigorate them. On the attrition rate in rugby, it really is a concern, but not terminal for the game.
    I'd say there's a roughly 0% chance of that. You're right that they're not going to wither away though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The IRFU are certainly not living in a financial bubble. In 2014 they realised a surplus of €9m from income of €74m.

Still doesn't change that rugby is an ugly game (i.e. outside Connacht).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    if you really want to see a stupid and biased article, read Joe Brolly's latest stream of consciousness defence of the GAA against all evils
    He is the GAA version of Dunphy and Hook. More interested in promoting himself than actually writing anything of substance. He is an intelligent man and I feel the other two mentioned are similar. However, Neil Francis thinks he is intelligent and a serious journalist!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    He is the GAA version of Dunphy and Hook. More interested in promoting himself than actually writing anything of substance. He is an intelligent man and I feel the other two mentioned are similar. However, Neil Francis thinks he is intelligent and a serious journalist!
    That's got to be the first time someone has said both Dunphy and Hook are intelligent in the same post! FWIW Brolly is clearly an intelligent man, he's a qualified solicitor, but he's so one eyed when it comes to the GAA that I really can't take anything he writes seriously.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't find much wrong with Joe's article. It's well known that Kilkenny was a cricket county and then became a hurling county, similar to Tipp. The importance of GAA's role and the national movement for independence is documented historical fact.
    And Joe claims the GAA has nothing to fear from the so called competing sports, in the context of another topical motion being put before congress to do with liberalising the usage of facilities. Club fixtures in the GAA are a constant bugbear for players in most every county.
    Sometimes Joe borders on hysteria, other times he writes some very good stuff.
    Last edited by geysir; 23/02/2016 at 12:54 PM.

Page 73 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast