Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To put things in a bit of context, more people tuned into Rovers-Bohs on Wednesday night than watched Ireland-Italy at, admittedly, stupid o'clock on Sunday. Even accounting for the hour, it shows the popularity of soccer - any soccer - in this country.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To put things in a bit of context, more people tuned into Rovers-Bohs on Wednesday night than watched Ireland-Italy at, admittedly, stupid o'clock on Sunday. Even accounting for the hour, it shows the popularity of soccer - any soccer - in this country.
    To watch on tele. 14,000 tickets sold (I know the attendance was only half that) for last Saturdays Leinster match in the RDS.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i think the football community needs to wake up to the fact that rugby and the GAA are a big threat before its too late
    Why does it have to be a threat? I don't know any GAA club that worries about soccer over-shadowing the GAA, even though it often does in certain communities. There are enough sports clubs around for anyone to play whichever of our 4 most popular sports.
    Why does one have to be under threat from another? Can they not just exist side by side.
    There is also some cross-over between some sports also, young lads playing more than one code.
    GAA, from what I've seen, usually gets a few young Soccer and Rugby players. Though I doubt there's much crossover between Rugby and Soccer
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I don't know any GAA club that worries about soccer over-shadowing the GAA
    Have you ever heard of Thomas Davis GAA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    The under 14 team that won the All-Ireland Feile this summer had 15 players that all also played competitive soccer. Just goes to show the cross-over in this day and age. Most kids usually decide to eventually concentrate on the sport they feel they are most successful at.
    Always look on the bright side of life

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Really? I've seen viewing figures for the Italy game north of 700,000. How many watched the Rovers - Bohs game?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    930,000, according to one of the Hoops Scene writers. That might include the UK now that I think about it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I was the only person in the whole pub (in NW London) on Weds night. I had a private screening of the "Dublin derby".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Why does it have to be a threat? I don't know any GAA club that worries about soccer over-shadowing the GAA, even though it often does in certain communities. There are enough sports clubs around for anyone to play whichever of our 4 most popular sports.
    Why does one have to be under threat from another? Can they not just exist side by side.
    There is also some cross-over between some sports also, young lads playing more than one code.
    GAA, from what I've seen, usually gets a few young Soccer and Rugby players. Though I doubt there's much crossover between Rugby and Soccer
    you are having a laugh .. I have played soccer for over 20 years and still the Gaa are banning their players for playing for local junior soccer teams when they are still involved with gaa for local championship games i dont know of any soccer clubs who would ban players from playing GAA even before important games for local soccer clubs its about time the gaa realise they are competing for the same pool of players as soccer / rugby etc and the should be more flexible

" football is a simple game "

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    The under 14 team that won the All-Ireland Feile this summer had 15 players that all also played competitive soccer. Just goes to show the cross-over in this day and age. Most kids usually decide to eventually concentrate on the sport they feel they are most successful at.
    I agree. I had the privilege of meeting Nick Farr-Jones in 1999 and he said he grew up playing everything, loved them all and would advise any parent to let their kids do the same. It's pretty much how I grew up.

However, I have some friends over here whose kids play rugby and nothing else. Pure dogma on their dads' part.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Agree. I'm looking forward to the rugby game this weekend and couldn't give a fanny adam about the football today or next Wednesday.
    I couldn't give a damn about whatever football is on Wednesday either. We're playing on Tuesday!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Have you ever heard of Thomas Davis GAA?
    Actually thought of them straight after I posted.
    Correction, Thomas Davis are the only GAA club I know of that felt threatened by soccer. I'm a GAA man and felt they were very cynical in how they dealt with that whole thing. I was disappointed in them to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    the Gaa are banning their players for playing for local junior soccer teams when they are still involved with gaa for local championship games i dont know of any soccer clubs who would ban players from playing GAA even before important games for local soccer clubs its about time the gaa realise they are competing for the same pool of players as soccer / rugby etc and the should be more flexible
    If i was a GAA manager and we had an important game coming up of course I would try to dissuade a player from playing soccer and risking injury.
    Though I've never heard of a player being 'banned' from doing so.
    I once played a soccer match a week before a championship final.
    I wasn't banned from doing so but certainly didn't tell my manager.
    He found out and gave out to me but I still played the final.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Perhaps this is slightly off topic but the club i play soccer for had been using the local GAA's astroturf pitches for the last 5-6 years from October to March when the weather became poor. Now we have been told that we are no longer permitted to use their astroturf pitches to train but they will still rent out the pitches for people to obviously play 5 a-side on...The GAA club in question has been making a big loss on their facilites every year since it has opened 6 years ago & our club, between schoolboys,junior & senior teams had paid the GAA club almost €15,000 last year for renting the pitches.

We have lads playing on our Junior teams who also play GAA & i find the GAA's attitude appalling here. They will ban a soccer club from playing soccer on their astroturf pitches yet they will allow soccer to be played through 5 a-sides on the same pitches.....

Twisted Logic??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think you get over protective coaches in all codes. My own lad plays both football and GAA, his GAA coach encourages kids to play other sports as it gives kids more skills and keeps them fit. Some of the kids on the team have been told to stop playing GAA by their football coaches. Thankfully this is an exception as playing GAA certainly toughens kids up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Yes I would be in favour of kids playing as many sports as they can and then when they get older, depending on how serious they are about their sport, to choose which one they are best at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    930,000, according to one of the Hoops Scene writers. That might include the UK now that I think about it.
    rte figures for the Ireland v Italy match alone was close to a million. it was also on setanta and utv so id say the real figure was close to 1.5m

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Which is what I'd expect tbh.

What I wouldn't have expected is a 900k figure for a LOI game. Impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Which is what I'd expect tbh.

What I wouldn't have expected is a 900k figure for a LOI game. Impressive.
    RTÉ coverage has of LOI has improved vastly over last couple of years. That coupled with a more professional approach, summer league and success in Europe is all good for the league. I can only see it improving. Well done to all involved in furthering the league and making it more attractive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    RTÉ coverage has of LOI has improved vastly over last couple of years. That coupled with a more professional approach, summer league and success in Europe is all good for the league. I can only see it improving. Well done to all involved in furthering the league and making it more attractive
    The game was on Setanta AFAIK

Page 36 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast