Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    The fact that people have to travel is a good consideration. If people have to work the next day they are unlikely to want to have to do a long late night drive home after a match.

If you have a long journey to get to Dublin it's likely you'll have to take a day or at least a half day off work. Many view this as a waste of precious holiday days to use up for a friendly game (and their missus probably isn't too keen on them using all their days off work to go to the football )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    lads it boils down to this. In participation numbers, as in the people playing the game, rugby will never touch football. And when it comes to casual watching ie Magners League V Premiership football, the same is true. But when it comes to national interest, ie interest in the national team and attendance at national team competitive games, Rugby is kicking footballs arse these days. Far more people play football, far more people watch and care about Rugby tho.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    I accept that Ireland in the six nations will draw big attendances and TV viewership as, in a tounament of only 5 serious contenders, there is always the possibility of Ireland winning something (triple crown, grand slam or just a bit of local rivallry like last week). However, when we're playing Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra there clearly isn't the same level of interest.

The true test of the respective interest in the sports only becomes clear when Irish football has a really big game (equivalent to the six nations level). Given we haven't qualified for anything since 2002 these game don't happen very often but I think I'm right in saying that the playoff games against France in 2009 had bigger TV audiences than Ireland winning the grand-slam matches in rugby the same year.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    I accept that Ireland in the six nations will draw big attendances and TV viewership as, in a tounament of only 5 serious contenders, there is always the possibility of Ireland winning something (triple crown, grand slam or just a bit of local rivallry like last week). However, when we're playing Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra there clearly isn't the same level of interest.

The true test of the respective interest in the sports only becomes clear when Irish football has a really big game (equivalent to the six nations level). Given we haven't qualified for anything since 2002 these game don't happen very often but I think I'm right in saying that the playoff games against France in 2009 had bigger TV audiences than Ireland winning the grand-slam matches in rugby the same year.
    Your wrong actually man
    The GS game in Cardiff was rte's biggest number puller for something like 8 years and beat the Ireland France away game which had a higher figure than the home game V France.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I don't think that's true an_ceannaire. The peak viewing figure for the Paris game was over 2 million, a staggering figure. The GS game was something like 1.1 million. Football TV figures compare very favourably versus the rugby.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/1...eland_rte.html

I think you're right in saying that rugby is flavour of the month right now. It has been for 5 years or more. But football friendly attendances have really only dropped in the last 12 months. That suggests to me that people are picking & choosing and watching their wallets.

Can I post a spreadsheet here anyway? Tets?

I got sent some stats by the TV market research people for an exercise I was doing last year.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 28/03/2011 at 3:16 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You need to upload it to a server to paste the link. Vbulletin boards hosted on servers dont provide storage.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's also worth pointing out that Leinster, Ulster & Munster regularly get 10k + for their Magners home games, that climbs to as high as 35,000 for big Heinekin Cup matches in Munster, with about 20K for Leinster. So it's not just the international matches that rugby's clambering for the public's attention. Locally, the sport is in our faces week in, week out; all emphasising local community sports, competing on an international stage.

That's what marketeers I believe call brand reinforcement. Even if you're not avidly following rugby, it's in your consciousness far more than soccer may be.

Again, take away the English Premiership & what does soccer have in this country to get the spirits flowing on a regular basis? The odd competitive international fixture (featuring a team whose football is a bit stale) and that's it. Our top Irish league is moribund & when our international team starts featuring players from Championship also-rans and League 1 players (that's not a slight on Kilbane btw, the man's a legend & an inspiration to any sports person), that's when you start to wonder if chickens are coming home to roost.

Jesus, even I found myself "forgetting" about the Ireland team and it was only the Macedonia game on the horizon that jolted me back into paying attention.
    Last edited by amaccann; 28/03/2011 at 3:27 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Look Shamrock Rovers are going to dominate the Europa league soon so don't worry. You can have your brand reinforcement then.

Seriouslly though if shamrock rovers(or any other team) were to make the group stages of CL(very unlikely at this stage,I reckon a good chance of Europa league) and did it more than a once off, then soccer locally would be right up there again.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Your wrong actually man
    The GS game in Cardiff was rte's biggest number puller for something like 8 years and beat the Ireland France away game which had a higher figure than the home game V France.
    For a fact that is incorrect. The French away game broke records for viewership and was a country mile ahead of the rugger. And thats only 2 years ago and at a time when rugby was flying! I think the Italy home game may have beaten the rugger in viewership figures as well but I cant confirm that.

In the last ten years, I believe Irish football has been the highest viewered sporting event for the year seven times. There is def a post on this not too long ago with valid link, ill try dig it out.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Look Shamrock Rovers are going to dominate the Europa league soon so don't worry. You can have your brand reinforcement then.

Seriouslly though if shamrock rovers(or any other team) were to make the group stages of CL(very unlikely at this stage,I reckon a good chance of Europa league) and did it more than a once off, then soccer locally would be right up there again.
    I'm not sure about that - look what happened Shelbourne, Drogheda, Bohemians, etc. They inflated their wage bill on potential European success that didn't come. Nor did any massive influx of crowds. The state of Irish soccer's a bigger subject for here, but I'm not sure that Euro success for 1-team will guarantee a trickle-down effect for the rest of the league.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    OK, did some number crunching. The Rugby 6N in the Grand Slam year averaged 703k on RTE. Bear in mind from the moment we beat France at home the much vaunted Slam was on the cards.

The WC10 campaign average - not including the play offs - was 541k. This is behind the rugby but includes games against Georgia, Cyprus and Montenegro. Including the play-offs the average RTE football figure was 626k.

626k versus 703k is quite a good showing versus rugby considering there were quite a few uninspiring games, and there was a lot of expectation in the rugby in 2009.

I'm not sure I fully understood what exactly the figures represnt though. Peak, avearge or whatever.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    For a fact that is incorrect. The French away game broke records for viewership and was a country mile ahead of the rugger. And thats only 2 years ago and at a time when rugby was flying! I think the Italy home game may have beaten the rugger in viewership figures as well but I cant confirm that.

In the last ten years, I believe Irish football has been the highest viewered sporting event for the year seven times. There is def a post on this not too long ago with valid link, ill try dig it out.
    Gspain was the man

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that Leinster, Ulster & Munster regularly get 10k + for their Magners home games, that climbs to as high as 35,000 for big Heinekin Cup matches in Munster, with about 20K for Leinster. So it's not just the international matches that rugby's clambering for the public's attention. Locally, the sport is in our faces week in, week out; all emphasising local community sports, competing on an international stage.

That's what marketeers I believe call brand reinforcement. Even if you're not avidly following rugby, it's in your consciousness far more than soccer may be.

Again, take away the English Premiership & what does soccer have in this country to get the spirits flowing on a regular basis? The odd competitive international fixture (featuring a team whose football is a bit stale) and that's it. Our top Irish league is moribund & when our international team starts featuring players from Championship also-rans and League 1 players (that's not a slight on Kilbane btw, the man's a legend & an inspiration to any sports person), that's when you start to wonder if chickens are coming home to roost.

Jesus, even I found myself "forgetting" about the Ireland team and it was only the Macedonia game on the horizon that jolted me back into paying attention.
    This is a valid point, creating a brand, a feel good factor, a sense of community etc. A feeling that has people talking about the game,making it attractive to attend etc. Shamrock Rovers have developed something akin to this in recent years, Derry City and Sligo Rovers too. Thats what we need to do in this country. Leinster/Munster have been the masters at it in the last decade.........they get regular crowds in excess of 10k for games which if we're honest alot of time are not particularly exciting. Its the overall product that matters and the sense of been part of something. Call it bandwagon if you want but it works!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Can I post a spreadsheet here anyway? Tets?

I got sent some stats by the TV market research people for an exercise I was doing last year.
    Not really, when I post a table I have to export it from Excel/OpenOffice as fixed text, and then paste it into a [code] block
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts

I also dont entirely agree with this logic - If success in Europe was to come for any team a few things would be needed before the "Great Irish Sporting Public" tm would buy in.

The main thing, it would need to be regular - if its a once off, youre doomed - ask Shels. Secondly, it would just mean more people become Rovers fans or Bohs fans in name only, not actually bothering to attend league games - glamorous, shiny, sparkly games only please! Also, it would mean that people in Galway for example would more likely be Rovers "fans" instead of Galway fans thus creating a hideous Rosenborg type monopoly. Furthermore, once the inevitable slump came the the public would lose interest again - it will happen for rugby, it would happen in Paul's scenario too. And finally, the world is ending on December 21, 2012 anyway so its too late for an Irish team to create a dynasty.

This is our mindset.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Some comments on the rising popularity of Rugby. Firstly, Rugby has always been popular at International level in Ireland. There were always large crowds even when the team was brutal (and that was most of the time). Since going professional I think that both Munster and now Leinster have tapped into the community and local clubs so much so that there is a closer link to their community (which is growing) than the Irish soccer team have. For example, my nephew (10) plays rugby for St Marys and he has had training sessions with a couple of Leinster players, some of the Senior St Marys players and at the end of the season Johnathan Sexton and the other St Marys players playing for Leinster attended their end of season party and gave out medals, autographs etc. This is possible the strength that Irish Rugby has at the moment i.e. the fact that a young lad can play rugby and be within touching distance of his heroes literally.
    Also, if you look at Leinster for example they have 13000 season ticket holders this year. They currently have a waiting list for Season Tickets. They are limited by the size of the RDS,. They have played 2 games in the Aviva this year and have got over 40,000 at both games. They have sold it out again for the HEC quarter final.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954
    I took my two kids with me on Saturday night. €45 for my ticket and €10 each for the kids - sitting in the Upper tier of the South Stand. Two blocks up there are designated as the family section.

It's not long ago since France and Italy both came to Croke Park and there was circ. 70,000 tickets available priced at €70 and €50. People were complaining then that they couldn't get a ticket and that the 'true fan' was been overlooked. Same as when the move to Lansdowne was happening again when it looked like their would be no increase in the block-booking scheme and people were again complaining that they were been overlooked. Now, when there are loads of tickets available for games, people are complaining about the price.

The cost of a ticket in the upper tier tomorrow night for the Uruguay game is €30 (I think for previous friendly games this was as high as €45). Even if the FAI dropped the price of this ticket to €15, I think the only people it would beneift is those living in Dublin. Take me, I live in Donegal. If I travelled to the game tomorrow it would cost me €30 for the match ticket, about €45 for petrol and maybe allow another €15-€20 for food. That's a total of €85-€90 just to go to that game. Even if the FAI dropped the price of the ticket to €15, it would still cost me somewhere between €70-€75 to go to tomorrow's game. It the whole matchday experience that is costly, not just the match ticket. It's not the FAI's fault that the price of petrol is now over €1.50 a litre. It's the price of everything in Ireland that is the problem, not just the match ticket which is only about a third of the cost of the matchday experience. I guarantee you if the FAI sold friendly tickets on their own for tomorrow night's game (and it wasn't bundled in with the Macedonia game) and only charged €20 a ticket for all areas of the ground, there would still only be 20,000 people at the game (regardless of what people say).
    Most people pay their tickets well before the game takes place, and so their costs on gamenight are considerably lower. A lot of people use private buses, and trains, either local or national. Irish Rail put extra trains on, and night trains back. For food, people can get it at reasonable prices away from Lansdowne. I don't pay for food or drink at Lansdowne, just a couple of Euro for transport, and a bit more for food elsewhere. That's about as far as it goes. No programmes, no merchandise. Don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer

Television is a major factor in rugger's appeal. So much so that RTE are prioritising U-20 egg-chasing over senior LOI football on a Friday night. TV can make even the most mundane sports games glamourous. Ireland games are always on RTE, the province games are always on tv. People take notice when you're on tv. If Rovers progress in European competition this summer, we'll be on tv much more often, and LOI will attract much more interest than normal. If Ireland qualify for the European finals, come next June 12 months, everyone will be watching our games, and nobody will give a flying banana about rugby.

Our attendance on Saturday night would have sold out the old Lansdowne, it only looks poor because of the stadium's much bigger capacity now.
    Last edited by mypost; 28/03/2011 at 7:08 PM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

If Shamrock Rovers make the group stages in Europe, Rovers will be right up there again. No guarantee any other team would benefit from that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Crowds might be a bit better for Uruguay if it was possible to buy a ticket on the FAI website. I was considering heading down but there's no way I'm buying a 2 ticket package for it and the the Macedonia game. I know we made the DeLorean up here, but that flux capacitor thing wasn't standard on them.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Crowds might be a bit better for Uruguay if it was possible to buy a ticket on the FAI website. I was considering heading down but there's no way I'm buying a 2 ticket package for it and the the Macedonia game. I know we made the DeLorean up here, but that flux capacitor thing wasn't standard on them.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180...I&brand=ie_fai

Page 20 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast