Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Going back to 1987/88 Ireland lucked out and went to Germany
    We were the best team in the qualifying group, plain and simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Was just chatting to a friend on facebook, discussing the match. Here's what he posted...

There really isn't anything in life that gets me as worked up as Ireland internationals. Any given game could be something monumental in a good or bad way. 0-0 draws with Liechtenstein, last second equalisers against Macedonia and Israel, disgraceful defeats to Cyprus, Thierry Henry, Patrick Kluivert, that night of misery in Lisbon, losing playoff after playoff... or Ray Houghton putting the ball in the English net, Kevin Sheedy shutting the English up again, Packie saving Timofte's penno, Alan McLoughlin's equaliser against the north, Glory in the Giant's stadium with Macca at his finest, Matty Holland's stunner in Lisbon, Keano's one man show against Portugal in Landsdowne, Jason McAteer's winner against the Dutch, Robbie's equaliser against Germany, Glen Whelan against the Italians, the entire performance in Paris, 6 points from 6 so far. COME...ON...YOU...BOYS IN GREEN!!!!

At least some of us aren't abandoning the team!
    Your friend should be a motivational speaker! I'm buzzing about this game, and that has added to it!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Was just chatting to a friend on facebook, discussing the match. Here's what he posted...

..........fantastic post, one every genuine fan can relate to.I know a big match is looming because that old familiar dodgy feeling in the stomach is back, only known cure, several pints of Uncle Arthur!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Getting me flight to Dublin in twelve hours - don't know about the media, or Irish general in public, but I can't freaking wait. These matches are what it's all about and this game is the first big test of a developing squad since Paris. The next week or could be epic (and knowing Ireland, probably will be).
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Why have the Irish people abandoned this team?
    You should have posted the thread in the League section.
    Last edited by The Fly; 07/10/2010 at 11:56 PM.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    You should have posted the thread in the League section.
    Why? I don't follow you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Why? I don't follow you.
    To get a better response of course.
    Last edited by The Fly; 08/10/2010 at 2:46 AM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I've been to matches all over the world, even if there is football being played by a load of cloggers in a park I'll probably watch it... But nothing compares to the emotions of watching my team, those eleven, playing a night game.

The pulse races, the stomach aches, all the questions like, "Would I take a 0-0?", "Will Keano drop back too much trying to pick up the ball", "Is Kilbane going to be up to it?", "Will Dzagoev be countered?" ... It's really almost torture when you analyse it medically, nothing is ever simple for us. However, this time especially, we really have a massive chance to make it out of the group, but knowing what happend a year ago who knows... But then what can you do ? You follow the team, you don't choose to be an Ireland fan it's who you are, it's generations of history, is the blood in our veins.

The one world you cannot use is apathy.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    why? its a fair question. our biggest home group game not selling out, not the same hype in the media about a qualifier that there once was etc etc
    I suspect people are disillusioned not with the team, but rather with the FAI's ticket pricing and sales policy. Can't judge the media interest as I'm living in Manchester now, but I know that anyone I've spoken to here is buzzing for it and can't wait for kick-off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Irish fans, that is. Although even my English friend is coming along with us to watch.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

I just copied that and put it as my bookface profile. I know bookface updates are gay, i dont ever do them but i had to do that.

UP at daft oclock today to work up the hours to be able leave..It adds to the excitement for me flying in, going back to the motherland, the first pint on Irish soil, the first Irish jersey you spot - not near the ground somewhere obscure- and get that feeling of "he knows what im thinking/how im feeling" acknowledging eachother, meeting up with the mates, chatting, catching up, singing songs, getting nervous, asking the randomer in the toiler "how will we do tonight?!", more pints, and then singing my heart out for 90+ mins. It cant be beaten, im even getting a cold tingly feeling writing this. Caledonia is playing in my ear. Pity that wasn't an irish song.......Funny it being pitch black in work, and only starting work....I was thinking of running around naked in the building for abit of craic, luckily i didnt there was some other nutjob in as early
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 08/10/2010 at 7:49 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    lads. you have to admit, despite how passionate people on foot.ie are. that even this morning, on match day, there is a noticeable lack of buzz anticipation and hype about this game. Its like ya we know its on, but do many people really care..??
    in work this morning there is more talk about the Henieken Cup this weekend and the GAA draw last night.
    There are a few heads who are die hard soccer lads and we cant wait, but in general there is massive apathy compared to a few years back.
    I honestly believe the public are just finding it hard to get behind the likes of Green, McShane, Whelan etc etc.....i actually do believe that if we had a MF of Duff, Reid, Ireland, McGeady that there would be much more interest. As it is, watchign Ireland is like watching paint dry and people have switched off in their hundreds of thousands. Remember when we all gave out and said the stadium capacity was too small, well, Tonight is the big home game of the group, and its not sold out.....nuff said.

Am i wrong? you might not like it, but, am I wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    lads. you have to admit, despite how passionate people on foot.ie are. that even this morning, on match day, there is a noticeable lack of buzz anticipation and hype about this game. Its like ya we know its on, but do many people really care..??
    in work this morning there is more talk about the Henieken Cup this weekend and the GAA draw last night.
    There are a few heads who are die hard soccer lads and we cant wait, but in general there is massive apathy compared to a few years back.
    I honestly believe the public are just finding it hard to get behind the likes of Green, McShane, Whelan etc etc.....i actually do believe that if we had a MF of Duff, Reid, Ireland, McGeady that there would be much more interest. As it is, watchign Ireland is like watching paint dry and people have switched off in their hundreds of thousands. Remember when we all gave out and said the stadium capacity was too small, well, Tonight is the big home game of the group, and its not sold out.....nuff said.

Am i wrong? you might not like it, but, am I wrong?
    Jaysus, there isn't a tackle in that midfield, they wouldn't be long losing faith in them after a couple of 5-2 defeats.

I think the price of the tickets and the current economic climate have a huge bearing on the match not being sold out.

As someone who has been involved in football all my life at grassroots level, I have to say that the FAI are losing out to other sports. The way the game is run at schoolboy level is based is seriously flawed. Its absolutely cut-throat from u11 up. In my area of Dublin lots of kids are drifting to the GAA. Lots of these kids have played in the top dvision of the DDSL.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 08/10/2010 at 9:09 AM.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

you might not like it,
    You're right

but, am I wrong?
    You're wrong
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    You are wrong. If you think watching Ireland is like watching paint dry, then what's the point in even following the matches? Ireland doesn't need bandwagon supporters who only follow us when we get to tournaments, it needs real fans who'll scream their lungs out during a well-fought 1-0 away victory in Macedonia.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Tonight is the big home game of the group, and its not sold out.....nuff said.
    according to all sources, apart from the returned Russian tickets, which went on sale yesterday, it is sold out
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya but they also exaggerated the last few games too tets....

anyway i know where im from soccer is not as well supported in terms of GAA, thats from a team who had won the county last 2 years in row bar this year where they lost in the semi final, and a soccer team who are always in the top 2 or 3 of the top division in the league. But its still as well supported by those who always supported no waining in favour of Rugby, though we are not a rugby county. But i know from over here, where the expat thing used to be all about meeting up for ireland games etc etc, its just not there anymore for soccer and has been overtaken by rugby, especially from the GAA heads.

From my mates at home I can only see what an_ceannaire saying to be correct. It doesn't bother me, it will just annoy me more when htey come asking me for tickets and jumping on the bandwagon. I am an IT contractor, i take days off and dont get paid when i dont work, so watching ireland is more of an expense for me than most and i can say this, if any of the c u next tuesdays get a ticket for the Euros should we get there I will find it very difficult to actually go to games again. Not supporting Ireland but going to games.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    All the general admission tickets are sold out, thats for sure. Premiums i dont think so, but then the prices for those tickets are very expensive. It was ridiculous putting in so many premium seats in the place but anyways thats for another day.

I think recession is a huge factor. Football supporters by and large do not have the same level of disposable income as the rugby crowd so obvioulsly will be hit harder by the recession.

I also think the Friday night game, although good for us based in dublin isnt ideally suited to everyone, ie travelling from abroad or down the country so that is also likely to affect numbers.

LR capacity for competitive games was about 17k short of what we have now. So ignoring the croke park years, based on traditional LR figures, I think 50k in for an international game is very good going.

Finally, no one should be going supporting Ireland (Football, rugby or otherwise) for the 'entertainment' value. We are a small country, we dont have the playing pool of a Brazil, we're not going to produce 11 gifted players. Following Ireland is about pride in your country, pride in the jersey, something you cant explain, its what you belong to, its your team and it really really really matters to you if we win lose or draw. Its living every kick of the ball, every tackle, every bad decision. You cant buy this sort of passion, I for one treasure the fact that I have this passion for the Irish team, those that dont, well they dont realise what they are missing.

A short story, a die hard gaa hurling fan came with me to paris this year. His first Ireland away game, may have been his first Ireland game. He was blown away by the experience and that was before the game even started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    To be honest it doesn't bother me one bit that this team hasn't captured the nations imagination. Bar stoolers, Dunphy and his disciples and my dad (thinks I'm mad spending all my £ on Ireland games!!!) will be all wanting to go to Ukraine/Poland if we qualify. That is the nature of the beast.

We'll never play like Barcelona but so what? The team gives its all and sometimes that is good enough. Ireland are my 'club' team. I watch crappy Championship games if there is a young Irish lad starting just in case he is the next Roy Keane/Robbie Keane/Paul McGrath. Plenty of die hards on foot.ie. If you want a buzz before the game then just come on here or ybig.

I know it would be nice if we didn't lump it long to Doyle every two minutes but it's what we do because a nation of 4 million cannot keep producing top class footballers. If it works, is effective and gets to Euro 2012 then I'll take it.

Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast