Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Trap excludes Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Finnan and Morrison for play-off squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    What frustrates me is Finnan playing for a month and Reid having 3 games under his belt isn't enough but Henry getting 9 minutes sees him called into the french side where he'll likely do very well.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    What frustrates me is Finnan playing for a month and Reid having 3 games under his belt isn't enough but Henry getting 9 minutes sees him called into the french side where he'll likely do very well.
    Henry was only out for a month or so. Finnan and Reid much longer term injuries and that makes a big diffference. Reid only had one game under his belt and is injured again and hasnt even been on bench for last 2 games. Finnan went off injured for Pompy again last week and missed this weeks game. Trap was 100% right with his decision to leave the 2 of them out
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good article in the Tribune today, which summarises well the level of progress made under Trap, but also captures the likely reaction we will have from certain quarters (e.g. Dunphy and co) if we dont qualify re our style of play, S Manchester and A Reid.

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/article/...-right-trap-o/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    neither reid or finnan is thierry henry... not by a longshot.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Good article in the Tribune today, which summarises well the level of progress made under Trap, but also captures the likely reaction we will have from certain quarters (e.g. Dunphy and co) if we dont qualify re our style of play, S Manchester and A Reid.

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/article/...-right-trap-o/
    I don't think Trap has to justify anything to anyone or if we fail to qualify.

Fact is, this campaign has been a quantum leap from the two or three previous ones. We now have a team in with a chance of beating the best teams in the world. In previous campaigns, we were worried about Cyprus and even San Marino made it difficult for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Is that an indictment of how bad things were before or how well Trapp has done... It has to be both really.

Trapp has definately improved things. But there's very few things Trapp has done that isn't common sense in managerial terms though, I think anyway.

Consistency, Discipline. Purpose. Regardless with whether anyone agrees with the tactics or not there's a sense of purpose that wasn't present before.

I feel though that that's the least any manager should bring to the table when employed, especially on that contract.

It's like any walk of life. You get paid for doing your job, you get commendations and bonuses for exceeding expectations, or excelling. I think some are giving him too much credit too soon for doing his job. I've seen only bits of him truly excelling or showing the fruits of his experience.

He had the vision to throw in and stick with Glenn Whelan in the face of innitial opposition from fans and media. It could be argued he's committed to a relatively effective formation. That's where Trapp ticks the box I'd expect from someone of Trapp experience, stature and wages. I've yet to see truly inspired substitution or tactical change (was italy inspired or dictated/influenced by the sending off?). If there are no more diamonds in the rough like Whelan, maybe making a square peg fit and excel in a round hole (I think McCarthy may have been the first to throw Right Full Kenny Cunningham in at Ctre Half. Could be wrong, but you get my point). Something that says "That's why I'm on the big bucks". Maybe despite all his experience he knows we simply don't have the players so he's committed to his lot rigidly as it is now. Hindsight will show all. But at the moment, when it comes to having a small nation punch above it's weight is Trapp in the Roy Hodgson/Otto Rahegel zone? I don't want Trapps head, but I'd be reluctant to over congratulate him too yet.

I hope this gets rammed down my throat next Thursday...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya, either way your point is going to have a lot more or a lot less validity next week from some, but its a very reasoned and valid post, unless of course we win comfortably over two legs then all hail trap.

I feel the diamond in the rough remark is way over the top. Whelan is definitely not a diamond in the rough like duff breaking in in the late 90s or reid playing in midfield as oppossed to right wing where he was very ineffective. He has used whelan to do a very simple job, effectively. I would say he goes about his business, bar the two goals, as "satisfactory", he certainly doesn't exceed expectations.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Is that an indictment of how bad things were before or how well Trapp has done... It has to be both really.

Trapp has definately improved things. But there's very few things Trapp has done that isn't common sense in managerial terms though, I think anyway.

Consistency, Discipline. Purpose. Regardless with whether anyone agrees with the tactics or not there's a sense of purpose that wasn't present before.

I feel though that that's the least any manager should bring to the table when employed, especially on that contract.
    Whether you agree with the tactics or not, Trap has definitely brought that one to the table and imo that would be his most identifiable aspect as the the other 3 elements mentioned are what you would expect a coach with his experience and price tag to bring to effect his game plan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post

It's like any walk of life. You get paid for doing your job, you get commendations and bonuses for exceeding expectations, or excelling. I think some are giving him too much credit too soon for doing his job. I've seen only bits of him truly excelling or showing the fruits of his experience.

He had the vision to throw in and stick with Glenn Whelan in the face of innitial opposition from fans and media. It could be argued he's committed to a relatively effective formation. That's where Trapp ticks the box I'd expect from someone of Trapp experience, stature and wages. I've yet to see truly inspired substitution or tactical change (was italy inspired or dictated/influenced by the sending off?). If there are no more diamonds in the rough like Whelan, maybe making a square peg fit and excel in a round hole (I think McCarthy may have been the first to throw Right Full Kenny Cunningham in at Ctre Half. Could be wrong, but you get my point). Something that says "That's why I'm on the big bucks". Maybe despite all his experience he knows we simply don't have the players so he's committed to his lot rigidly as it is now. Hindsight will show all. But at the moment, when it comes to having a small nation punch above it's weight is Trapp in the Roy Hodgson/Otto Rahegel zone? I don't want Trapps head, but I'd be reluctant to over congratulate him too yet.

I hope this gets rammed down my throat next Thursday...

You make fair points.

I wouldn't say I'm Trap's biggest fan. Some of the games in the campaign were truely dire. Bulgaria at home was torture to watch, and much of the Italian game in Bari wasn't great to watch either, the goal being about the only highlight.

However he has us on the right track, that's the important thing, and there's been more variety and a willingness to let players stretch the system a little in more recent games.

The ideal Trap match would appear to be 89 minutes of defensive football with a goal scored from a setpiece in the last minute, or a variation of that.

I have no doubt while the rest of us have good memories of open exciting attacking high scoring football matches in the past such as at world cups featuring Brazil, Holland, etc, Trap has fond memories of 0-0 draws or 1-0 wins.

He is ultra conservative in his preparation and tactics. That's not to say he is bad in his tactics or management, he has been very successful. And he appears to be a tactical genius I don't think anyone could dispute that. And capable now and again of doing the unexpected which catches the opposing team off gaurd.

Where everyone else might think a flashy player would do great and an average player do bad, Trap often sees the opposite, seeing the limitations of the flashy player and ability of the less flashy player. It's an admirable trait, not to be swayed by hype or the journos about players as he knows that when it comes to judging a player he trusts his own judgement most of all, not some tabloid hack.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 10/11/2009 at 12:03 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789