Kildare Nationalist

By Daragh Ó Conchúir

KILDARE County are getting on with the task of preparing for the 2004 season having been given the green light on Wednesday, in the form of a Division 1 Licence.

There are a number of sanctions attached to the licence, which the club is currently addressing.

"We're relieved and very happy", said director, Michael Casey. "All the clubs were on tenterhooks. We hadn't an inkling of what would happen.

"We did put a lot of behind the scenes work in the non-stadia area and in fairness, along with Newbridge Town, there have been many improvements in the facilities as well.

"We have to work on several things in relation to the structure of the club but the vast majority of them will be easily achieved and some already have been. "The main issue will be the provision of additional covered seating, which will have to be addressed before the start of next season."

Casey said that he was "99.9%" certain that the status quo would remain following the Eircom League's application to UEFA to phase in the improvements, although he was unsure whether the Premier Division would retain its title. "The fixture list will be released at the AGM on Saturday and then we can finally see what's in store for us."

The FAI has applied for Government Grant Aid to help clubs with the necessary improvements to achieve Premier Division Licences and according to Chief Executive, Fran Rooney, has received indications that it will be made available over a number of years.

Rooney is looking at a 3-4 year time frame for implementation and estimated that it will cost between €10 million and €20 million to bring the clubs up to Premier Division Licence standard, though, after phase one, he was keen to emphasise the progress that has been made.

"The club Licences have very positive implications. This is the first time that we have examined what needs to be changed and we have covered significant ground. The League of Ireland needed work - I think everyone knew that - this is just the start.

"This isn't a punishment process. The goal is to get all the clubs up to the standard."

Meanwhile, the additions of centre-half, Philip Byrne - a son of St. Pat's legend, Damien - Celbridge native, Shane Harte, and 'keeper John Connolly has brought to 22 the number in Eric Hannigan's squad, while James Ogwilio, a former Nigerian Schoolboy international, is just one of a number of players seeking contracts.

"We had a trial game in Straffan on Saturday and it was very competitive, with players playing for contracts", says Casey. "We had 28 players there, and that was without our two goalies, Martin Reilly and Shay Zeller.

"James is a very promising player. He's not a big lad but his pace, turn and skill are fabulous. We're still talking to him and he's likely to appear against Bohs (last night)."

Supporters shouldn't expect too much, however, as it is too much to expect a new squad to gel immediately.

Other plum friendlies include home games against St. Patrick's Athletic (February 25, 7.30pm), Derry City and Longford Town.

Casey echoed the sentiments Eric Hannigan, voiced two weeks ago in this publication, that the current panel was better equipped to deal with the rigours of a full season, than last year's one.

"We've looked at about 45 players since the close season started and negotiated with about 30 of them. I hope we've got the right blend and mix.

"What we can say is that we have cover in every position, which is where the wheels fell off last year when we got injuries and suspension."

One young talent that could not be persuaded to join the ranks is Caragh youngster, Noel Byrne, who is joining St. Patrick's Athletic from Cherry Orchard.

The former Naas Schoolboys star, who turns 18 later in the year, is the son of ex-Kildare Gaelic footballer, Noel 'Golly' Byrne and is talented enough at that code to have been training with the Lilywhite minors until his soccer commitments took precedence.

"I actually have the contract here in the house now. It's a 36 week pro contract. I haven't signed it yet, but I will", he said on Monday.

"Kildare County were in contact with me and it was an interesting offer but I had already pledged my future to Pat's and they are a Premier Division club."