Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: League Of Ireland U20 Quarter Final /Semi Final Draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    Bray Wanderers 1:2 UCD AFC

UCD: Ger Barron, Ciaran Nangle, David O'Connor, Gareh Mathews, Michael Leahy, Pete McMahon (Stephen Doyle), Keith Ward, Paul Corry, Sean Houston, Robbie Creevy, Graham Rusk.

UCD made life difficult for themselves for not puttting away their chances when they had a chance and that keep Bray in the game. Rusk scored after 25 minutes long ball from the back, Sean Houston followed the line and nodded down for Graham Rusk to outpace his marker and put it under the keeper. Bray got back immediately with the best goal of the night their number 7 hit a beauty into the top corner from outside the area. Rusk won a peno just before half-time but Paul Corry effort was saved well.
    Exchange of half-chances in the second half before Ciaran Nangle was allowed run to the edge of the box and curled a left-footer into the top corner.

UCD brought out the big guns for this one. Six established players from the first team in starting eleven.

Bray have had a miserable few days but they have always presented a game for UCD at under-age level. They've knocked us out of the competition in the recent past. Good luck to them next year I'm sure both sides will meet again.

You're right. Weather permitting the Final will be at the UCD Bowl on Friday 20th November.
    How did Sean Houstan play? How come he didn't feature for your first team?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    He did ok, but nothing spectaular. Rusky was much the busier of our two forwards. Killer and Dave Mc scored 28 between them this season, so it's a tough partnership to break up. On that one game, I didn't see that he'd add much to the first team, TBH. But obviously I'm sure he'll develop and probably be pushing for a squad place early next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I thought he did OK. He was playing as a target man type forward and won a good few headers but there didn't seem to be anyone in the right place to pick up on them.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    That's Tuesday week BTW.
    Oh, thanks, I had indeed overlooked the date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    He's used as a sucessful link man and works comfortable with whoever is part of the attacking forward line. The team uses wingers alot (Stephen Doyle, Keith Ward, Graham Rusk, Pete McMahon) and he links up with them aswell as his forward partners (Gavin Falconer, Rusk, Robbie Creevy, Barry McCabe).

Recently scored with his head against Limerick and Pats. Both goals early and from corners. Which UCD were able to build on with a second goal later. He's also nodded down a few for Wardy and Rusky. But I think he's good with his feet aswell, he gets his fair share of shots off during a game.

Regarding the first team, Martin Russell is very aware of the squads at UCD, he does like the attacking style and a kinda rolling attack. Plan A attack, Plan B put some subs on at HT or 55 mins and attack some more. Russell recognised he is able to do that during alot games in the First Division, time will tell if that changes overall.
    But that rolling style benefits Keith Ward, Pete McMahon, Graham Rusk more. Who have all moved up from the U20 team this year.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 21/11/2009 at 8:36 PM.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The final has been moved to Wednesday 2 December now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Final updates at twitter.com/UCDupdates for anyone who's interested.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Looks like it finished 5-3 to UCD according to Aertel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlapjackJoe View Post
    Looks like it finished 5-3 to UCD according to Aertel!
    So says the UCD twitter too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Dr. Tony O'Neill Cup.
    UCD U20 5: 3 Salthill Devon U20

Salthill Devon started much the better side Bryan O'Grady scored after 5 mins. Couple of lone forays by UCD pl;ayers into the Salthill box and then O'Grady got a second on 13 mins linking up with Sean Gavin and Brian Gaffney. Those three plus Damien O'Reilly and Gerry Cheevers were killing UCD with some simple runs and neat passing. Full back Luke McConnell also got forward alot right through the game.
    UCD started to get more into the game later in the half. Pete McMahon, Sean Houston, Graham Rusk and Keith Ward were creating better chances for each other. Captain Michael Leahy was getting forward aswell, didn't stop a Devon ball from the right hand side being controlled by Gaffney, he out paces his marker and lobs Ger Barron only for the ball to come back off the bar. Still UCD went into the break on the up.
    Second half UCD forwards kept the pressure on. Goal after 54 mins, Houston crossed from right hand side for a diving Paul Corry to score with his head. Peno 57 mins, Rusk burst into the Devon box, fires off a shot that strikesConor Larkins arm, Rusk scores peno. Two minutes later, Houston scores. 3-2 up.
    From then on, UCD including the seven first-teamers on the pitch made a better attempt at controlling the game then in the first half. Rusk brought the ball to the edge of the penalty area and drew a number of Galway defenders to him before laying the ball off to Corry who stretched and poked the ball out to Houston and with an advancing keeper shot into the left hand corner. 4-2.
    Barron gave away a penalty, although he did complain about the award. Penalty hit the post cleard for a corner. Corner comes in, three maybe four defenders attack the ball at the near post, sails over there head and Larkin is free to head into the top corner. 4-3. Larkin was booking trying to get the bal off Barron for the restart.
    Nangle made a run down the left, centred for Rusk who had time to pick his spot. 5-3. Larkin got sent off for a heavy challenge on Rusk.

Cool championship, UCD 12 wins from 12 fixtures in the group ( one w/o) and Limerick, Bray and Devon all gave us scares in the knock-out rounds. Still nice the win the Dr. Tony O'Neill Cup.
    [Rumour Alert] At the game I heard that next year it will be an U19 competitions and the format will be two groups of 8 teams each.

UCD: Ger Barron, Gareth Matthews, Ciaran Nangle, Michael Kelly, Michael Leahy, Paul Corry (Danny Fallon), Keith Ward, Robbie Creevy, Sean Houston, Peter McMahon, Graham Rusk.

Salthill Devon: Ronan Forde, Luke McConnell, Ray Winters, James Whelan,Conor Larkin, Gerry Cheevers, Sean Gavin, Eoin Duffy, Brian Gaffney,
    Damien O'Reilly, Bryan O'Grady.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123