Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland V England Wembley '91

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ireland V England Wembley '91

They showed this game on Sports Files on RTE2 on Saturday.
    What a game to have been at.
    The Ireland fans outsung the the Brits on their home patch for the whole game.Were on the One Road,Molly Malone,Boys in Green....f**king great.
    And we destroyed them on the pitch too.We were all over them for the majority of both halves.They scored early on with jammy
    deflected goal then Quinny leveled with a delicate sidefoot volley and we had them under the cosh for the rest of the match.Houghton went through in the last five to win it but he shot wide. (would probably have sent us through?)Still quite an achievement to have their fans whistling for fulltime within the closing minutes.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Ireland V England Wembley '91

Originally posted by Beavis
    The Ireland fans outsung the the Brits on their home patch for the whole game.Were on the One Road,Molly Malone,Boys in Green....f**king great.
    Its a pity we now have nothing more than Ireland, Ireland, Ireland. Also, when we played a friendly against Turkey a few months ago they outsung us with their national anthem. We have to get our act together.

Ireland, ireland, repub-e-lic of ireland, rev it up and here we go.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    George H mentioned about them showing some game from the Euro 88 qualifiers next week-is this a series or was it a once off programme, hadnt seen it before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Even The Sun reckoned we should have won 3-1 that night. Definitely one for the "what might have been" files. Should have won easily after outplaying them but failed to take chances.

We should have won that group too - terrible home draw v Poland, threw away a 3-1 lead when cruising in Poznan and then Englan dget a jammy draw in Poland after a late Lineker equaliser 2 minutes after the Poles had a stonewall penalty appeal turned down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by elroy
    George H mentioned about them showing some game from the Euro 88 qualifiers next week-is this a series or was it a once off programme, hadnt seen it before.
    It's a series alright, they showed the Euro 88 qualifying game against Bulgaria a few weeks back. They've done the same for some old rugby games too.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    It's a decent series, aye. Congrats to RTÉ on that, ye's finally got something right lads. Great for younger people such as meself who can't remember anything before World Cup '94.

Great to hear us outsing the English over there. Should have won as well. BTW, in that qualifying group we beat Turkey 5-0 at Lansdowne. They've come a long way since then. Some achievement alright.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great game. Good series by RTE, nice to watch the old games. I think that series was shown at some stage last year as well. I recall seeing the England away game, Yugoslavia at home and one or two other ones.

The fans were amazing that night. There hasn't been a decent atmosphere at Lansdowne since Holland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by brendy_eire
    It's a decent series, aye. Congrats to RTÉ on that, ye's finally got something right lads. Great for younger people such as meself who can't remember anything before World Cup '94.
    It IS a damn good series. Even watching it now though you still expect Houghton to bury THAT chance. How we made a mess of qualifying after that is beyond me. Cost us our best chance to win an international tournament.
    Same series is also good for screening old rugby matches, like the one v England at Twickenham in one of our Triple Crown winning years in the 80s.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Re: Ireland V England Wembley '91

Originally posted by Beavis
    Was at that game, best game I was ever at for atmosphere and sense of pride at full time - we played them off the park and should have won easily. At that stage it looked like we were on our way, but we messed up with some poor draws.

The Irish fans were unreal, i'll never forget the singing of 'On the one road' both during and after the game. On the way out after the game some english fans were doing alot of pushing and messing. Some irish buses were attacked aswell. Shame we didn't qualify in the end.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Re: Ireland V England Wembley '91

Originally posted by 4tothefloor
    Was at that game, best game I was ever at for atmosphere and sense of pride at full time - we played them off the park and should have won easily...On the way out after the game some english fans were doing alot of pushing and messing. Some irish buses were attacked aswell. Shame we didn't qualify in the end.
    I was in the pub with the missus 'The Black Lion' in Kilburn before the game (afternoon) when it got a bin and bricks through the window. I got a deep gash on my head but luckily it clotted and I was able to go to the game. One bloke wasn't so lucky and had to go to hospital to get stitched up. Almost cut his jugular. Since then I've hoped those scum tan b*stards get hammered in every game they play. Despite us f*cking it up that night (Houghton's miss is always replayed whenever I think of the game) my house resembled any home in Stockholm the following summer when the c*nts were finally dumped out. My neighbours must have thought I had a bunch of Swedes staying with all the cheering when Fat Boy Brolin scored.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One fine day in march 91

Oh What a day.........................was across the road in McGoverns when the friendly huns came calling, when you experiance things like that no wonder we hate the bast'ds, remember walking up to Kilburn stn, and about 15 of them were comin down the High Road, on the opposite side of the road one Irish lad was on his own and a couple of them started pushing and shoving him, there was a police van parked beside the North London tavern which the huns didn't see, and luckily I knew a few of the lads in the van they didn't know what was happening when the police and 10 irish lads were runnin across towards them never seen them run so fast.........................................bit like
    CAPTAIN MORGANS GREENFORD Welcomes all Irish Football fans, live music every weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by brendy_eire
    Great for younger people such as meself who can't remember anything before World Cup '94.
    I remember shouting for Northern Ireland in Mexico 86.
    Don't suppose RTÉ will show any of those games?
    Pat Jennings was inpirational!
    I remember reading about Espania 82 but don't actually remember watching it.
    Certainly don't remember Argentina 78.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    TG4 showed NI-Spain a few years ago on their World Cup Gold series. Shame they don't show that any more! Refereeing in that match was something else - NI getting kicked about the place until finally one of their players gets sent off - mad stuff!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pete makes an interesting point. Maybe a mod could make it a poll.

Do you support Northern Ireland?

I for one hope that they win every game they play, except against us of course.

Still didnt stop me laughing at the recent goal scoirng record though!
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓC
    yeah, I remember Espana 82, I was very young at the time but as far as I knew they were 'my team' over there, I have a clear picture of watching the Spanish game. I'd still cheer them on, or at least wish them luck.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    yeah, I remember Espana 82, I was very young at the time but as far as I knew they were 'my team' over there, I have a clear picture of watching the Spanish game
    ditto ditto......

I'd still cheer them on, or at least wish them luck.
    I have to say the Billy Bingham episode in 93 and the recent ****e thrown at Neil Lennon, have not left them top of my list. These days, I can't say I have any real desire for them to do well or badly for that matter.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I have a clear picture of watching the Spanish game.
    Did they play Spain in 82 as well as 86?

I have this abiding memory of the build up to the Northern Ireland v Brazil game and an interview with Pat Jennings where he said "If we lose, I'll retire." They lost 3-0 and he retired. I'm sure it was his birthday the same day as well.
    That may all have been something I dreamed up but I recite it as one of my early World Cup memories.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓC
    Pete makes an interesting point. Maybe a mod could make it a poll.

I for one hope that they win every game they play, except against us of course.

Still didnt stop me laughing at the recent goal scoirng record though!
    Back in the seventies I supported them. They were an Irish team playing in the BC and with a multi-ethnic team. I even got a shirt, which is finally going to a good home (DG's, even if there is little chance the curry chumper will fit into it).

There was nothing to suggest that there was any bigotry associated with the side. When I started following Ireland it was clear that this was a lie. Meeting Northerners on trips, people who were at the North games in 78 and 79. Call it political but from around the time that they called off the games in 81 I started losing interest in them. As a sixteen year old me and my father had an acrimonious squabble about them one night in Spain over them. My father was having none of it. They were Irish and he supported them just as much as the South. However it was the North games that I personally attended that brought home the bigotry of many of their fans. The Republic games were always a magnet for the lunatic fringe, but even I found it unbelievable. I tend to be indifferent to their results but still hope they hammer the tans. My father incidentally changed his mind, even long before the Lennon b*llocks or indeed whatever Bingham allegedly done.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Originally posted by Peadar
    Did they play Spain in 82 as well as 86?
    they beat them 1-0 in '82, lost 2-1 in '86

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓC
    No. Never ever. Hope they rot.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast