Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    "Hull's Steve Finnan."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    great news. i hope to god they get the 3 games in prior to the squad selection. even if they were to figure only on the bench for the first leg, would be such a boost.

ie. - if kilbane is getting a roasting, or if whelan/andrews are struggling terribly, to actually have a viable option would be fantastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great news on Reid, i was fearing the worst when i heard Traps comments last week, things got a bit lost in translation i guess.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would like to see Reid & Reid in midfield

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I don't think experimentation in a crucial world cup qualifier is the way to go.

To ask these players to walk into the Irish team against the French and do a job without any international friendlies, etc under their belt is a bit much.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Its more than a bit much - its complete nonsense.

Even if S Reid gets match fit and has 1 or 2 games with Blackburn before the playoffs I still think he will be on the bench behind Whelan and Andrews and though this is probably against popular opinion I think Id agree with that.

The last thing we want is an enforced substitution early in the first leg. Of course there is always a chance of that with any player but the chance is much greater imo if S Reid is on from the start.

Dons Tin Hat and runs for cover.........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That well battered tin hat.

If Steven makes it to the squad, I'd be pretty sure that Trap will be observing him closely at training and make the call.
    I'd assume match sharpness will be the outstanding issue.
    Can anyone predict if he will break down in a game?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Match sharpness is obviously THE key factor - I have taken that point for granted. Of course no one can predict a breakdown but a bit of spread betting might be in Traps mind. The period between now and 14th will be key in terms of training and playing with Blackburn and the few days training with Ireland.

I still think that all the above factors will at best mean a spot on the bench for Reidy. If hes fighting fit and has put in a couple of MOTM performances for Blackburn before then - then Ill be happy to go with Traps decision.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    If he's match-fit, looking sharp and hasn't lost the attributes he possessed before his injury I believe he'll start. You want your best team out and he offers so much more than Andrews. If he hadn't played anything of the qualifiers perhaps he'd persist with Andrews but Reid slotted in against Georgia and Montenegro just fine last year without being involved much previously.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ok I confess I haven't followed Stephen Reid's career all that much.

But is he an attacking midfielder, etc?

I keep hearing people say, Andy Reid would offer more than Whelan or Andrews, or Stephen Reid would offer more than Andrews or Whelan or John O'Shea would offer more than Whelan or Andrews.

But for the last time, Trap does not believe in overly creative central midfielders. He believes in two defensive central midfielders who won't get forward all that much.

We have attacking wide players and I don't think Stephen Reid is better out wide than what we have. Trap won't make the mistake as happened in the last minute against the Italians, when too many Irish players got on front of the ball or were in the Italian half of the field. He will go conservative. That means two defensive central midfielders and two attacking wide midfielders.

So if Lional Messi suddenly became eligible to play for Ireland and let's say his natural position was central midfield, Trap wouldn't pick him, because he believes in two defensive central midfielders. It's just the way he is, and play offs for the world cup are no time to suddenly start changing things around.

Go with what you know, is probably how he will approach it and that means Andrews and Whelan in the middle.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 21/10/2009 at 3:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    So if Lional Messi suddenly became eligible to play for Ireland and let's say his natural position was central midfield, Trap wouldn't pick him, because he believes in two defensive central midfielders. It's just the way he is, and play offs for the world cup are no time to suddenly start changing things around.
    Stephen Ireland's natural position is central midfield, and Trapattoni is on record stating he would change the team if he became available.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    Ok I confess I haven't followed Stephen Reid's career all that much.

But is he an attacking midfielder, etc?
    Reid is not an attacking midfielder. He would be IMO Irelands closest thing to a box-to-box midfielder. He is perfectly suited to Traps system and we sorely missed him. Andrews and Whelan mainly only defend in Trap's system because they are limited players in comparison to Reid and can't be trusted to make surges forward and effectivly defend at the same time. On the other hand Reid has the ability and awareness to know when it's the right time to go forward and when to hold ground. This adds an extra dimension to our attacking play which is missing when Andrews and Whelan play together.
    I'm not saying he's world class or anything but he is a big improvement on the other two.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Reid is not an attacking midfielder. He would be IMO Irelands closest thing to a box-to-box midfielder. He is perfectly suited to Traps system and we sorely missed him. Andrews and Whelan mainly only defend in Trap's system because they are limited players in comparison to Reid and can't be trusted to make surges forward and effectivly defend at the same time. On the other hand Reid has the ability and awareness to know when it's the right time to go forward and when to hold ground. This adds an extra dimension to our attacking play which is missing when Andrews and Whelan play together.
    I'm not saying he's world class or anything but he is a big improvement on the other two.
    I do not think that Trap believes that he is good enough defensively to play as one of the two midfielders in Traps system.

In fairness to Whelan and Andrews it is difficult for midfielders to look good the way Trap sets the team up. They spend most of their time blocking/intercepting/covering/defending/keeping the shape of the team to look spectacular.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I do not think that Trap believes that he is good enough defensively to play as one of the two midfielders in Traps system.
    But he already was one of the two midfielders in Traps system, I doubt Trap rates Andrews ahead of a match fit Stephen Reid, he is just as good defensively if not better and gives you a lot more options going forward.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    But he already was one of the two midfielders in Traps system, I doubt Trap rates Andrews ahead of a match fit Stephen Reid, he is just as good defensively if not better and gives you a lot more options going forward.
    My apologies I thought you were refering to Andy Reid. I probably think that every mention of Reid is about Andy (No wonder Trap is getting a little annoyed about it)
    MY bad

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Steven Reid when fit and on form is miles ahead of any other player available. Its really a great pity his career has been so blighted by injury.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    If there's one thing trap has done is spring a surprise in the big games against Italy. Putting Keogh and Lawrence into the starting side in each fixture which probably wasn't what Italy were expecting.

France will be expecting a dodgy left back and a conservative centre mid pair who don't like to be in position. Would throwing a passing centre mid and a champions league winning full back in instead to mess up their tactics and planning really be such a wild idea?

I agree they need games although Finnan's had 2 already so he should be fine, Reid needs a couple.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Blackburns game in the Carling cup next week has become very important for us
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Blackburns game in the Carling cup next week has become very important for us
    It has. 90 unspectacular minutes from Mr reid with no reaction please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast