Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Clubs for 2010 ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    What about Nenagh? And I think North County Cork could support a team in the Mallow/Mitchelstown area

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Nenaghs too small, plus already 2 clubs in county cork, the aim should be to get every county represented

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcule View Post
    Nenaghs too small, plus already 2 clubs in county cork, the aim should be to get every county represented
    Nenagh's about the size of Monaghan, and Roscrea's nearby, and a big enough town.

Ennis could be a location for a Clare team, but other than that, I'm not sure how many teams we can have.

I can't really see Leitrim, Roscommon and Cavan supporting teams, so existing clubs like Longford, Monaghan and Sligo could try to tap into those fan bases.

Maybe a Meath team could be based in Navan, and I'd like to see Kilkenny and Kildare back in the league as soon as possible. The only other real possibilities who don't already have A League teams would be Portlaoise and Ennis

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Clonmel would be excellent representatives for Tipp, and though it's disappointing to hear from Portlaoise, the League needs a Co. Laois team and resurrected Kildare and Kilkenny clubs. Agree with Riddicule about Leitrim, Cavan and Roscommon, so if Navan and Ennis clubs are too weak, then Meath County and Clare County clubs run by the local leagues would see most counties included.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Any plans for either of the Mullingar sides to enter?
    Dont think so.
    Mullingar Town applied twice a few years back - unlucky and were very close to getting accepted. Reckon we would get a good crowd for games. it would be brilliant to have some derby games with Longford and Athlone - jesus!!

BUT now the two teams are playing in a muck league and i dont think there are any plans for the future at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If Westport United had a more advanced set up from their current facilities, then they could well have entered.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Are they any football clubs in Ennis? not on the wikipedia page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster View Post
    If Westport United had a more advanced set up from their current facilities, then they could well have entered.
    That would surely affect support for Castlebar though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcule
    Are they any football clubs in Ennis? not on the wikipedia page.
    I think there's a Clare League though.

I think in order to get the maximum support, there should be clubs like "Clare Celtic" formed, instead of simply elevating a club from the local amateur setup to the league. Fair enough, you'd have to attract a new fanbase, but it's like the Tralee Dynamos situation, there's not really enough room in Kerry for two LOI clubs to be well-supported, but people from Killarney won't support Dynamos because the bear the name of a different town. An All-Kerry side would, in my opinion, attract more support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I think in order to get the maximum support, there should be clubs like "Clare Celtic" formed, instead of simply elevating a club from the local amateur setup to the league. Fair enough, you'd have to attract a new fanbase, but it's like the Tralee Dynamos situation, there's not really enough room in Kerry for two LOI clubs to be well-supported, but people from Killarney won't support Dynamos because the bear the name of a different town. An All-Kerry side would, in my opinion, attract more support.
    It didn't work for Kildare County though. Indeed, I'd say Newbridge Town could have made a better go of the LOI than KCFC did.

Having said that, Kerry is probably one county where it could work due to the county identity there associated with the GAA team. Wexford would be another example of this.

Not all counties have this though. For example if there was no LOI teams in Louth, I don't think the county identity here would be strong enough to sustain support for a 'Louth United FC'..
    Last edited by holidaysong; 22/11/2009 at 5:33 PM.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    It didn't work for Kildare County though. Indeed, I'd say Newbridge Town could have made a better go of the LOI than KCFC did.
    Having said that, Kerry is probably one county where it could work due to the county identity there associated with the GAA team. Wexford would be another example of this.

Not all counties have this though. For example if there was no LOI teams in Louth, I don't think the county identity here would be strong enough to sustain support for a 'Louth United FC'..
    Were Kildare County not just Newbridge Town under a different name?
    Im pretty sure it was Newbride that entered and they named KC to try and draw in the whole county.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    I think most people in Kerry would have preferred the county option, the KDL were good to go in '08, but the FAI only wanted club teams in the U-20 league, that said they'd only have needed to called themselves Kerry FC or something similar to get around that rule. That's why Dynamos went it alone, and in fairness, they could well go up next year without needing any new league format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Lads can we put the Navan team to bed, just because it's a big town doesn't mean it will be good for the club, Newbridge and Naas would have the biggest population in Kildare and it didn't help KCFC, the teams in Navan don't even play in that high of a league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think there are many individual clubs with the appetite and resources to go for the A league at the moment.

Personally, I would let the current A-league sides into LOI and then split the first division into two 8-team divisions north/south (much cheaper on travel). Below this, the FAI should ramp up the Oscar Trayor (inter-league) from a knockout cup to a league system. That way we get a true 'pyramid' system up to the Oscar Traynor, with the best players picked off by the LOI clubs.
    Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. Brian Clough

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpster View Post
    I don't think there are many individual clubs with the appetite and resources to go for the A league at the moment.
    Agreed, most probably think there's no point going senior if 2010's the last year of the current format. Only the teams currently involved would be able to play First Division in 12 months time, though that shouldn't stop new teams joining in later years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    We have 2 and next year possibly 3 teams in Galway and we can't support 1.The FAI should be looking at county's that don't have teams and are big enough to support LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Agreed but the FAI can't just kick Mervue and Salthill out, or can we ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Were Kildare County not just Newbridge Town under a different name?
    Im pretty sure it was Newbride that entered and they named KC to try and draw in the whole county.
    That was my point. In my opinion, they should have just stuck the existing club Newbridge Town into the league rather than create Kildare County FC. Football is an urban game and I think it would have been wiser to attract support in the town based on the Newbridge name rather than the county name, which is associated more with the GAA.

As a Finn Harps fan, you might argue that a county based thing is a good idea - Harps always promote themselves as a Donegal team rather than a Ballybofey / Stranolar team. But then as a Dundalk fan, I'd argue that a Louth United team would never attract as much support as Dundalk and Drogheda United do on their own.
    Last edited by holidaysong; 30/11/2009 at 12:23 AM.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Salthill aren't going up to the 1st Divison, out of their own choice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Strange - gufc2000 posted a long article saying Salthill were accepting a place in the FD and that Drom should be up to standard, but the club could have changed their minds since then. If it is true, would all five clubs submit new applications? Based on results, either yourselves or Tralee would have strong cases, while on infrastructure, Cobh would be ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    They are getting crowds of around 80 most of whom just live near Terryland,no one will care if we kick them out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast