Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Do you want Jamie O'Hara representing us?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 60.00%
  • No

26 40.00%
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1052

Thread: Jamie O'Hara

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Just a thought, is it that he would be a good recruit, or that he would be a good recruit right now, given that injuries and uncertainty means that the squad is missing the likes of Meyler and McCarthy? Say, in two seasons, with those two, plus Clifford and maybe an improved Gibson, would O'Hara still be as wanted?
    Tets, Having just read your post, it occured to me that originally O'Hara was a left back for Spurs and even if he could not command a midfield role, a degree of versatility is always handy in any international squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    Its these kind of players that give us a bad name from people who accuse us of allowing players to play for us who own an Irish red setter .
    Myself, I couldn't care less what other people, who are not fans, think.
    and I for one will be disgusted when he be parachuted into the set up, if not the team by Trap
    You will be disgusted if he is parachuted into the set up.
    And there are people who are disgusted with Trap for supposedly being lazy and disinterested in O'Hara, for supposedly not doing his job.
    If 2 people with opposite views on this issue are disgusted with Trap, then the disgust held by either side has no value in the argument.
    Because no matter what decision is made, it will attract equal disgust.

O'Hara is quite entitled to declare for Ireland. He has given very vague reasons for his delay. He hasn't shown much initiative on the matter but he hasn't disrespected the invitation. I'm sure he can become a better Irishman.
    If Brady and Martin feel okay about the lad and are confident that it will work out, then I'm okay about it.
    A decision to play him is the prerogative of the manager. For Jamie's sake, I hope he has some of that personality that Trap talks about and likes to see.
    Last edited by geysir; 27/02/2011 at 9:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    This used to be a 'Nolan inclusive' thread so thought I'd pop this here.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...785453,00.html

Nolan considered Ireland

Newcastle star amazed not to have been called on by England

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan has considered an attempt to represent Ireland at international level after giving up on his chances of playing for England.
    The former Bolton star scored against his old club in Saturday's 1-1 draw to join the likes of Steven Gerard and Frank Lampard as English midfielders who have netted 50 goals in the Premier League.
    Despite that achievement, Nolan has incredibly never played for England, mainly due to the form of Gerrard and Lampard, and he has thought about switching allegiances to Ireland.
    But he does not qualify through his grandparents and at the age of 27 he thinks that his international career is over.
    Cut above

Nolan said in The Sun: "It's unbelievable, I didn't realise I was getting close to my 50th goal. It makes me very proud.
    "It's amazing I haven't got an England cap, isn't it?
    "But Lampard and Gerrard are a cut above. They've been world class year-in, year-out in the Premier League. England has gone for me."
    He added: "The possibility of playing for Ireland has been brought up a number of times but unfortunately my grandad and my nans are only a quarter Irish, or half Irish, and they need to be fully Irish!
    "I did try and cheat like Tony Cascarino did by going over and having 14 pints of Guinness. Didn't work though."

In this case I'm so glad we didn't (couldn't!) whore the green jersey to this guy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I'm amazed so many people here would love to see O' Hara declare for us. This thread has been going since October 2009 and he is only now deciding to declare for us. It took Clark a matter of weeks to decide he wanted to play for us even though there was every chance he could have went on to play for England.

O'Hara on the other hand in an England reject who is only going to declare for us after realizing he will never pull on his beloved 3 Lions jersey.

Its these kind of players that give us a bad name from people who accuse us of allowing players to play for us who own an Irish red setter and I for one will be disgusted when he be parachuted into the set up, if not the team by Trap.
    I agree with you to a point. Truth is if O'Hara scores the goal against Armenia in Oct or more likely Slovakia/Russia in Sept that sees us qualify, would many of us complain?!?!

As regards "real" Irish backgrounds, I think for O'Hara, read Andy Townsend.

For Clark, its more akin to Kilbane.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    This used to be a 'Nolan inclusive' thread so thought I'd pop this here.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...785453,00.html

Nolan considered Ireland

Newcastle star amazed not to have been called on by England

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan has considered an attempt to represent Ireland at international level after giving up on his chances of playing for England.
    The former Bolton star scored against his old club in Saturday's 1-1 draw to join the likes of Steven Gerard and Frank Lampard as English midfielders who have netted 50 goals in the Premier League.
    Despite that achievement, Nolan has incredibly never played for England, mainly due to the form of Gerrard and Lampard, and he has thought about switching allegiances to Ireland.
    But he does not qualify through his grandparents and at the age of 27 he thinks that his international career is over.
    Cut above

Nolan said in The Sun: "It's unbelievable, I didn't realise I was getting close to my 50th goal. It makes me very proud.
    "It's amazing I haven't got an England cap, isn't it?
    "But Lampard and Gerrard are a cut above. They've been world class year-in, year-out in the Premier League. England has gone for me."
    He added: "The possibility of playing for Ireland has been brought up a number of times but unfortunately my grandad and my nans are only a quarter Irish, or half Irish, and they need to be fully Irish!
    "I did try and cheat like Tony Cascarino did by going over and having 14 pints of Guinness. Didn't work though."

In this case I'm so glad we didn't (couldn't!) whore the green jersey to this guy.
    Ditto. Outside of anything else I'm pretty sure he's talking sh1t. he was in an underage squad under Kerr and refused to play as he got put under pressure by Sam Allardyce at Bolton as far as I recall. I don't think there's any issue about his eligibility other then the fact that he didn't use the amnesty when it was in place for players over 21.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I agree with you to a point. Truth is if O'Hara scores the goal against Armenia in Oct or more likely Slovakia/Russia in Sept that sees us qualify, would many of us complain?!?!

As regards "real" Irish backgrounds, I think for O'Hara, read Andy Townsend.

For Clark, its more akin to Kilbane.
    I know what you mean regarding him scoring the goal the gets us though to a major finals, but the fact is we could have done with him for the WHOLE of this campaign if was so willing to play for us. The truth is he openly admitted to waiting to see if he was going to get picked in the England squad.

We should be past the stage where we need the 'Andy Townsends' of this world to play for us (with all respect for the everything he did when playing for us)

I'd much prefer to go with the players that have committed Ireland and not some mercenary like O'Hara.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Ditto. Outside of anything else I'm pretty sure he's talking sh1t. he was in an underage squad under Kerr and refused to play as he got put under pressure by Sam Allardyce at Bolton as far as I recall. I don't think there's any issue about his eligibility other then the fact that he didn't use the amnesty when it was in place for players over 21.
    tbf the checks at underage level seem to be pretty casual to say the least. we must have had 4 or 5 players represent us at underage level before realising they weren't eligible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Anyone have today's Sun?... There is supposed to be an interview with Kevin Doyle where he states that Wolves centre half Richard Stearman is very keen on playing for Ireland.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Anyone have today's Sun?... There is supposed to be an interview with Kevin Doyle where he states that Wolves centre half Richard Stearman is very keen on playing for Ireland.
    It would be like WBA or Arsenal in the 70's/80's. WolverIreland. It could be Stearman, Hamill, O'Hara with Hunt, Doyle, Ward and Foley.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That's one player we do not want playing for Ireland.shiver at the thought of dunne and him in the centre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Ability very much aside, he's like Duffer on steroids.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post

Got a good laugh outta that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    there's an article on sportinglife.com that says he was targeting a call up to the England squad: http://www.sportinglife.com/football...HD=premiership
    No date on it, but from the URL, it looks like it was published on the 26th January
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    ^
    He says he has ''international aspirations'' - That doesn't necessarily mean England.

The Sun says :

Wolves central defender wants to play for Ireland, says team-mate Kevin Doyle. Stearman, 23, has lined out for England Under-21s but qualifies for Ireland under the granny rule. Ireland striker Doyle said :

''Richard would love to play for Ireland. I know he has got a grandparent who is Irish.''
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 28/02/2011 at 5:22 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Any chance of Doyle getting a transfer to Wigan.

... and Dunne.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    We should be past the stage where we need the 'Andy Townsends' of this world to play for us (with all respect for the everything he did when playing for us)
    Well we "needed" Andy Townsend when, by comparison with today, we had a wealth of riches in midfield. So I don't think you know what you are talking about if you are suggesting that in the "stage" or era he declared we were worse off than today. You could not be more wrong.

Edit - PS thats not much respect btw.
    Last edited by Paddy Garcia; 28/02/2011 at 8:37 PM. Reason: Uptate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post

he he he, with the jaw of Desperate Dan
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Jesus, shocked that Stearman could be recruited - although reckon he'd be a great addition. Tall, strong and fast and has had Torres in his pocket 2 years running at Anfield (supposedly leading to Benitez being interested in him). Prone to well-documented stupid mistakes due to a lack of concentration, however has cut those out of his game completely in the last 6-7 games and is proving himself to be a quality, young premiership centreback. Has been left exposed by our occassionaly defensively inept full backs (Zubar & Elekobi), however with steadier fullbacks next to him think he could do a great job. Also, at only 23, him and Clark could be a good pairing in a few years time.

Voted in this week's team of the week with fans views below, which includes the interesting stat (if you like stats) that Wolves have won 38% of their games with Stearman in the starting XI this season, compared to just 13% without him:

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=58124

Another thread on fans views of Stearman:

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=58092
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    That 38% to 13% statistic is pretty impressive.
    Mind you I remember reading something similar about Stephen Hunt, my memory fails me but it was
    something like they didn't pick up a single point when he didn't start.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Mind you I remember reading something similar about Stephen Hunt, my memory fails me but it was
    something like they didn't pick up a single point when he didn't start.
    No change there then.

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast