Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "A skinny rat, a skinny little rat"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    ...and coaches.

Mourinho, Ferguson, Moyes, Wenger and on and on and one.

I could cite Maradona as an example of the other way around but that'd be unfair. He's probably too extreme a case in point to be relevant.

Of course there are good players who make good coaches. Guardiola for example. McCarthy is an interesting case study: technically limited player who coaches attacking football. In a way this supports my argument that less gifted players understand how things work, the importance of simplicity, showing for the ball etc.
    em.... 170 league goals in 319 games, most of them in the scottish top flight when it meant something, and only 25 of the 170 for Rangers, the rest for smaller clubs? Hmmmm.....
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Regardless of the division they were in he was undoubtedly a success which contradicts your original point. Being a bit of a pedant here I know!
    Here, I'll buy ya a pint

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    em.... 170 league goals in 319 games, most of them in the scottish top flight when it meant something, and only 25 of the 170 for Rangers, the rest for smaller clubs? Hmmmm.....
    ok, point taken on Ferguson. I was always under the impression that he was a decent but unremarkable player in his day. I'm still happy to stand behind the original assertion though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Marsielles fans would beg to differ.
    As would Nancy fans, he was banging them in there too if I remember correctly.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Brian Clough was a brillant player scoring something like 300 goals in 350 top flight appearances before getting injured at a young age.

Bobby Charlton was largely a failure as a manager.

Trapattoni was a good player noted for his marking ability but he was hardly a great player. He was probably similar to Michael Essien or someone like that. He was given the job of marking Eusebio in one match. He also played for Italy in a world cup.

Some great players turn out to be great managers. The vast majority of great players flop as managers. And most of the great managers were average players.

I personally think it's to do with how articulate someone is or forceful. Mourinho is very articulate. You have to admire Trap for communicating his message while struggling with a foreign language. Wenger is articulate and intelligent enough. Clough and Fersuson are or were forceful.

Then you have great players who don't know how to talk about the game.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 13/10/2009 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    Brian Clough was a brillant player scoring something like 300 goals in 350 top flight appearances before getting injured at a young age.

Bobby Charlton was largely a failure as a manager.

Trapattoni was a good player noted for his marking ability but he was hardly a great player. He was probably similar to Michael Essien or someone like that. He was given the job of marking Eusebio in one match. He also played for Italy in a world cup.

Some great players turn out to be great managers. The vast majority of great players flop as managers. And most of the great managers were average players.
    Only because there are so few great players and so few great managers.

I don't think there is any real link here. It all depends on the personality of those involved.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    For the love of God, would you please stop digging a hole.

Brian Clough did not play a single game in the top flight aka. old Division One.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think Dunphy has been looking for a reaction from trap in the same way Charlton used to get into public slagging matches with him and its not gonna happen. Trap has managed the Italian national team, most of the big clubs in Italy and bayern munich not to mention big clubs in portugal and Austria! Most of these positions particulary the ones in Italy and Germany are preasure cookers and the media are far more intense than anything Dunphy can throw at him. Their bigger jobs. Plus he dose'nt even live here so its water off a ducks back and Dunphy knows that and i'm sure it annoys him.

Dunphy wanted a reaction and he got one in Hunts comments. He's back in the spotlight again and RTEs ratings will be up now on wens night. Hes a comedy act who changes his opinion on teams and players all the time and i think ya have to take him for what he is and thats a clown who plays to the camera. People let him get into their heads and in this case hunt has stupidly given his senses.

Do agree with the poster that said the bandwagoners who only follow Ireland when they win, slag them when they lose and are ingnorant to the league of ireland are the only ones that listen to him because their sheep and have very little knowledge of the world game anyway bar 3 0r 4 teams in that disneyland league across the water.
    Last edited by 1895ringsend; 13/10/2009 at 12:58 PM.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    I appreciate Dunphy is an analyst and gets paid to give his view , if i felt that the view he gave about the irish performance was not him been a vindictive pr*ck then fair enough but Hunt (although he may not be the smartest tool in the tool box) is passionate about playing for ireland like every other player that wore that green jersey on saturday night and im sure to hear dunphy's comments after such an emotional night where the lads gave it everything must have been infuriating to him and team.

Im not saying hunts comments were right, what i am saying after such an atmospheric and passionate night in croker on saturday i can somewhat understand why he said it
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Normally I'd say Hunt was out of line, but what Dunphy said post-Italy was probably as close to treason as you can go without being strung up.

Absolutely dire.

I'm all about criticism when it's required, but there wasn't much to criticize on Saturday. There were more positives than negatives, despite the sour taste a lot of us felt, and to say what he said was downright unpatriotic.

He's got an agenda as we all know, but it has nothing to do with the success of the Irish national football team.

Dirty rat is bang on the mark. Get him off the air.
    Dunphy is paid to speak his mind ... which I admire.

But I'm impressed with Hunt here. He has proved to me that the team are behind Trap. To me that is a fantastic result.
    Hunt is a player who gives 100% every time for Ireland.

Previously I was in the Stephen Ireland camp .. but come on guys ... any of us who played in any team knows that every teams needs a siege mentality.

I want this Irish team to go as far as possible in the World cup .. all the time frustrating the football purist.
    Last edited by stevieontour; 13/10/2009 at 1:14 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scram
    The Hunts do appear like hillbillies even though I admire their tenacity.

Surely something like “Anyone taking Eamonn seriously should be locked up, he’s RTE football punditry’s version of Ryanair’s O’Leary” and just laughed it off, would have been more reasonable?…making Dunphy look like the fool instead of vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    Absolutely correct but Hunt likes the limelight too.
    Yes, it's a family thing, just like his bro trying to steal Robbie's goal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Cascarino!!!!!!
    Tony Cascarino!!!!

The only club he was anything even approaching a success, was Milwall, and guess where Eamon was also a success as a footballer......yep...you guessed it!!!

Your a howl mate!!!
    fairly solid scoring rate at the end of his career at Marseille and Nancy

<EDIT>
    didn't read the whole thread, this was mentioned and debated a few times already
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 13/10/2009 at 1:23 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    At what time will the pen fly across the studio on Wednesday evening?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polster View Post
    Thank god most hunt bashers on here weren't around when our country was fighting for freedom. So many high standing pillars of the community here that jump at a lad for speaking up and saying what most people agree with. I like to listen to dunphy and giles, they are unpredictable which can be interesting and more so fun in my eyes, if you don't take them to serious. But I think its about time someone put it to eamo in a language he understands, more power to you hunty.

And for everyone on here writing him off as a nothing footballer, he has been as good as most in this campaign, another fine assist on Saturday. He demonstrates passion and pride in the jersey that we don't always see from all quarters within the squad, including some senior players.

I'm sure he is a good lad to have in the squad, as he is loud and desperate to succeed, and that can only be a positive thing.

Give the lad a break.
    For the love of God.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    Absolutely correct but Hunt likes the limelight too.
    no its not, michael oleary whether we want to agree or not, has done a lot of good for this country and those of us who travel too....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Fair play to Hunt, i know he can be vocal at times but glad to see the him show the balls to have a go at the cretin Dunphy.

There are plenty of Dunphy types round the country who for some perverse reason would rather see the manager and team fail.
    Last edited by co. down green; 13/10/2009 at 4:34 PM. Reason: .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this is the same eamon dunphy who hailed the arrival of trapattoni as the greatest thing to happen in irish soccer in years, and yet now has the audacity to criticise the man who has won more in european football than any other manager, because he's refusing to pick an average player like andy reid?

the guy is a joke. i'm glad i go to the games and don't have to listen to him, but it annoys me that other people have to. / that he gets paid.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd say Hunt will get a few good resounding cheers tomorrow evening.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I'd say Hunt will get a few good resounding cheers tomorrow evening.
    Yes he sure will, should be amusing...and spur him on to try and take about 4 Montenegroens on down the wing...with a 50% chance of success and 50% chance of giving the ball up and leaving us wide open.

One of the things I like about Hunt is you just know the Engerrlish (EPL) "fans" hate him as do a lot of opposing teams so you love to see him wind them up…but, Stephen…PLEASE shut the f*(k up!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I suspect the Irish players don't read or listen to Dunphy but are made aware of what he says by friends and family.

When Dunphy says the Irish performance against Italy was a disgrace, who is he criticising? Is he criticising the players who gave 110% throughout the match?

When someone makes out it was a bad performance, you are criticising the players, whether you like it or not.

It's just dumb to blame the manager for everything while saying the players are great. The players and manager have to take equal responsibility for a win, lose or draw.

So I'd say the players take criticism of the team's performance very personally.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast