Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "A skinny rat, a skinny little rat"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Cascarino!!!!!!
    Tony Cascarino!!!!

The only club he was anything even approaching a success, was Milwall, and guess where Eamon was also a success as a footballer......yep...you guessed it!!!

Your a howl mate!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Emmet7, to the best of my knowledge, Jose Mourinho never played a single senior professional game, he has enough medals jingling in his pocket to completely blow the idea that you have to have played at a high level to understand and comment on the game of football.

Dunphy is awful, but Cascarino as an alternative?
    Seriously, give it up.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    Emmet7, to the best of my knowledge, Jose Mourinho never played a single senior professional game, he has enough medals jingling in his pocket to completely blow the idea that you have to have played at a high level to understand and comment on it.

Seriously, give it up.
    Add to that list David Moyes, Arsene Wenger etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    Watch the game man. Ireland dominated the first half.
    For somebody who has admitted they watched the game twice, and to come up with that conclusion, does not give me a very good belief in your ability to analyse a football game.

We looked very good up until we scored the goal. Then the Italians, more or less for the rest of the half, had the majority of possession and I was worried they'd score a second goal before the break.

Anyway, I'm going to add another piece to this debate here.

I remember after the Bari 1-1 game, Dunphy made some ridiculous comments that night, the worst being when he called Trapattoni:

'He was like a drunken gambler, throwing his chips on the table'.

He was referring to Trap's substitutions last night, and he went on to make a comment about bringing on Caleb Folan in particular. Nobody would dream of arguing over Trapattoni's tactical decisions that night, yet Dunphy found fault.

Yet again, he blows the lid, this time at the return game. We come away with a very respectable 2-2 draw, and almost won the game. Yet Dunphy has a go again. I didn't see it this time, and quite frankly I don't even want to watch it. But it is obvious that Dunphy has a personal problem with Trapattoni, whether it is over the whole Andy Reid issue, whether it is over his jealousy at hom succeeding, or whether it is simply for his own sense of achievement to be critical to ridiculous proportions.

I am happy Hunt has said something about Dunphy. Somebody, who has some form of influence needed to tell Dunphy exactly what he is, so that maybe he'll shut up. I can't say I respect Hunt as an intellectual, like the rest of you, or that I even consider him good enough to start for Ireland. I even admit, that I groaned when I saw him take the ball off Lawrence, for the free kick he had won, which led to St. Ledger's goal.

Anyway, that's how I feel.

PS. If anybody has ever read It's Only A Game?, they might be able to ensivage a younger, less wash-ed up and negative Dunphy. Back then, he was actually extremely good analytically. Now his analysis is simply his own cornershop of controversy

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Very often the guys who understand the game best are those for whom the game was difficult, and hence they have to be more thoughtful in how they try and understand what works and what doesn't. Roy Keane might be a good example of the corollorary of this.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I, for one, am glad Hunt made those remarks.

As I was trying to point out on an onther thread, there were elements of Saturday's performance that werre below par and deserved a degree of criticism, but Dunphy's reaction that it was "shameful" and that real football people in Ireland can only pre-date Jack Charlton were nothing but an insult to the players and the fans alike. No harm in getting insulted back.
    i agree with you stutgart88 i find that dunphy also uses 'people who know football' etc as way of getting people on his side, flatering people so they'll say 'yeah he's right' also when someone chanlenges him he says 'hey ask these guys these are the experts , pointing to graham and gilsey...

great entertainment tho... him and micheal o leary, bullies of the highest order but you nearly alwasy have to watch / listen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Jesus, what's with the personal insults lads? Keep it to football!

For what it's worth, Ireland didn't dominate at any stage on Saturday, though they were equal to the Italians for long periods (most of the match, imo, and definitely moreso in the first half). Pirlo was given a lot of time and space, though he made most of it for himself. I thought it was because there was too much space between our midfield and defence but if our midfielders had been deeper keane and doyle would have been even more isolated. Pirlo obviously learnt from his Bari experience, or was taught what he did wrong by Lippi.

I think Hunt is just right to speak his mind. I agree with what he said and think Dunphy is being sensationalist for the sake of it. Who here seriously thinks our central midfield would be better with Andy Reid in it? I think we would be overrun, regularly, way more than happens at the minute (we didn't win the battle on Saturday and haven't done for a while). I also think our current wingers are as good as him if not better so I have no place for him there either. The only conceivable place is off a central striker, or as a central player in a 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1, with two out and out wide players and one striker, but that would mean dropping Doyle in which case we lose our defenders standard out ball of a long punt up the pitch (which incidentally we were doing less of on Saturday, imo). No-one is seriously suggesting dropping Keane. It's all a crock of ****e. Like mentioned elsewhere, McCarthy was criticised for being unprofessional and unprepared re training facilities, cheese sandwiches, diet etc (as was Jack for the Harry Ramsden's challenge, lest we forget) and now we have an Italian who comes in and not just for disciplinary reasons tries to stop players sitting up til all hours, not getting proper rest, drinking a few days before an important match etc etc and finds his authority questioned by the most out of shape player in the squad. So he's been dropped for disciplinary reasons and from a football perspective we aren't losing much and would have to change our team and our system considerably to play him? It's really not a reason to beat the manager when he's up. Reid may be useful in the squad but he is not a panacea for all our ills, far from it.

Maybe, though, the reason for Hunt's criticism is that he is smarter than we give him credit for. Maybe he wants to make sure Andy Reid never plays for Ireland again, thus increasing the chances of him playing.... not.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Very often the guys who understand the game best are those for whom the game was difficult, and hence they have to be more thoughtful in how they try and understand what works and what doesn't. Roy Keane might be a good example of the corollorary of this.

Shaking my head....let it go mate...let it go....its been 7 years.....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Did you even read what he said?

He's saying that often it is those who were not the very best players who make good critics, and sometimes players who excelled at the highest level seem to find it hard to anaylse the game as well as we might expect they would.

Keane does seem to be an example of this.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Good analysis Dave.

In a way we're unfortunate that our better players include our wide players and Doyle. But they are our better players so they must start, so the shape must be as it is. Trap recognised our failings very early on and has come up with a system the allows us to play to our strengths and avoid exposing our weakness.

That's not to say we can't play better within this system because I believe we can. Yet we can still get 2 draws with Italy. Gotta take that as positive.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Cascarino!!!!!!
    Tony Cascarino!!!!

The only club he was anything even approaching a success, was Milwall, and guess where Eamon was also a success as a footballer......yep...you guessed it!!!

Your a howl mate!!!
    Marsielles fans would beg to differ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    When I first saw this thread title just now i thought for sure it was going to be about SI.
    Im actually relieved.

I think Dunphy and Hunt should have it out in a cage match.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Good lord man, don't be so sensitive - and inaccurate. Any rational man can understand that Keane was a legendary player but also one who seems unable to understand how to get less gifted players to play consistently well. 100% objective comment.

Maybe you should let it go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Good lord man, don't be so sensitive - and inaccurate. Any rational man can understand that Keane was a legendary player but also one who seems unable to understand how to get less gifted players to play consistently well. 100% objective comment.

Maybe you should let it go.

Your right to be fair.....apologies stutts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Marsielles fans would beg to differ.
    when they were in the second tier of French football 69er...soon as they got promoted he was sent packing to Nancy...where the injections stopped coming

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    He's saying that often it is those who were not the very best players who make good critics
    ...and coaches.

Mourinho, Ferguson, Moyes, Wenger and on and on and one.

I could cite Maradona as an example of the other way around but that'd be unfair. He's probably too extreme a case in point to be relevant.

Of course there are good players who make good coaches. Guardiola for example. McCarthy is an interesting case study: technically limited player who coaches attacking football. In a way this supports my argument that less gifted players understand how things work, the importance of simplicity, showing for the ball etc.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Your right to be fair.....apologies stutts
    No probs man. We're on the one road...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thank god most hunt bashers on here weren't around when our country was fighting for freedom. So many high standing pillars of the community here that jump at a lad for speaking up and saying what most people agree with. I like to listen to dunphy and giles, they are unpredictable which can be interesting and more so fun in my eyes, if you don't take them to serious. But I think its about time someone put it to eamo in a language he understands, more power to you hunty.

And for everyone on here writing him off as a nothing footballer, he has been as good as most in this campaign, another fine assist on Saturday. He demonstrates passion and pride in the jersey that we don't always see from all quarters within the squad, including some senior players.

I'm sure he is a good lad to have in the squad, as he is loud and desperate to succeed, and that can only be a positive thing.

Give the lad a break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Cascarino!!!!!!
    Tony Cascarino!!!!

Your a howl mate!!!
    61 league goals in 84 games in Ligue 2 for Marseille..... it was over one third of their goals in those two seasons!

And before you say he was a flat track bully, he also scored 15 goals for Nancy in a season where they were relegated from Ligue 1.

France was where he was a success, not England.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    when they were in the second tier of French football 69er...soon as they got promoted he was sent packing to Nancy...where the injections stopped coming
    Regardless of the division they were in he was undoubtedly a success which contradicts your original point. Being a bit of a pedant here I know!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast