Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Italy - Saturday, 10th October 2009 - World Cup 2010 Q

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Layne View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this has come up but, whoever decided on that Ole Ole music after the goals needs shooting. Very embarrassing
    I realise this is similar to saying Salvatore Schillaci for Áras an Uachtaráin on here, but I like it. Reminds me of the best we ever did. Gets the crowd going.

I'm still parta Jackie's Army

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I realise this is similar to saying Salvatore Schillaci for Áras an Uachtaráin on here, but I like it. Reminds me of the best we ever did. Gets the crowd going.

ANY music after a goal is stupid and needs banning. If you need something to get the crowd going after you've scored then you're fighting a loosing battle anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    ANY music after a goal is stupid and needs banning. If you need something to get the crowd going after you've scored then you're fighting a loosing battle anyway
    We needed nothing on Saturday. But I still like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just watched highlights of Irelands second goal.

I like the way Leon Best pulled Zambrotta (I think it was) away from the path of the ball as it comes into the 6 yard box. Giving the Italian defenders a toast of their own medicine.
    Last edited by SunnySweeney; 11/10/2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Thumbs up

yes he was and im proud of him

thats the passion i want off a player wearing the jersey of my country

gr8 performance last night glenn.... f**kin brilliant
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    good to see from the lad - thats what playing for your country should mean to every Irishman. Cracking goal and he seems to be maturing into international football - long may it continue.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pride in the Jesery is something the whole irish team had last night. To be honest, I know its a mute point and wont happen but even if Stephen Ireland made himself available to play for the Playoffs, I would'nt play him.

Well Done all the lads last night and Im sure Trap and Co will be pointing out mistakes that can be corrected for the real test in November. We held the world champions and came close to beating them in Bari and Dublin! On our day, we can beat anyone butIll still be praying for Greece :-)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya, I was just thinking it might be me looking through green tinted glasses, but thats class alright, its exactly what you want to see from a player wearing the green.

I love these comments from trap its what shows him apart from the other manages we have had the last few years, the post match interview focusing on what went wrong and to make right for the future, the "leetle details" as we always here:

'Shay Given didn't have any great saves to make, but Italy made fewer mistakes than us with their passing.

'We made too many mistakes with our passing - the second goal was from our mistake - but that is the negative.

'We were in front against the world champions with three minutes to go and we were a little bit nervous.

ANd then the focus on making these things right for the future. Love to see that. rid the team of mistakes wherever possible. I hope he had a good word with ledger as well cos he reminds me of when dunne came onto the scene(well maybe not as error prone), he does 9 out of 10 things right and does some great stuff but then whether its experience or what i dont know, but needs to keep the concentration, im refering to Italys both goals here really i spose, he left camoranesi unmarked for the 1st and then the second he shouldn't have held off for so long.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 12/10/2009 at 9:03 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Ledger - he left camoranesi unmarked for the 1st and then the second he shouldn't have held off for so long.
    Was it Ledger who should have been there for the first goal?
    It looked to me that no one was picking up Camoranesi.

The Italian second was a horrible ugly goal to give away.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    what does trap mean here, is he having a dig at shay, after the disagreement over ledge or is it in relation to dont be talking to the papers about wanting to make your 100 cap and play against montenegro: "He said: 'If a goalkeeper doesn't talk too much, he shouldn't have a problem.'"
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He is talking about picking up a yellow card. He means that the only way he will get a yellow card is back chat to the ref. Read more books Paul.
    In Trap we trust

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atmosphere

Thought the atmosphere was really great on Saturday despite the fact that Croker is a disastrous stadium for Soccer/Rugby. Think a lot of fans really got behind the team in a way we haven't seen for ages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Yeah. Remember their goal in Bari? That was him - skinned Keogh on the right, ran at our defence along the goal-line and centred it past McShane to Iaquinta. I thought Trap would set Hunt on him this time, but Lawrence was a good choice too.
    Hunt would be a disaster on the same side as Grosso. He's too rash and has no brain whatsoever - could easily have seen him sent off if he had been there.

That said, when sprang from the bench he did very well.However, that's all he shold be used as - an impact sub.

Anybody notice that he warmed up by himself at halftime.Why was that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Hunt would be a disaster on the same side as Grosso. He's too rash and has no brain whatsoever - could easily have seen him sent off if he had been there.

That said, when sprang from the bench he did very well.However, that's all he shold be used as - an impact sub.

Anybody notice that he warmed up by himself at halftime.Why was that?
    Radio commentator mentioned that he'd spent about 20 minutes warming up before he actually came on. He was stretching and doing short sprints in front of me for a while alright. Think Trapattoni was waiting to see if McGeady would do anything before bringing him off. He was exhausted
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post

Me too. It's the naffest song around but the chors of Ole Ole around the ground was brilliant. After the crap, the good times were back (for 3 minutes).

Was it choreographed by the PA? I didn't hear anything. I thought it was spontaneous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Me too. It's the naffest song around but the chors of Ole Ole around the ground was brilliant. After the crap, the good times were back (for 3 minutes).

Was it choreographed by the PA? I didn't hear anything. I thought it was spontaneous.
    Let's face it, the crowd at Ireland games isn't capable of singing anything more complicated than, "Come on you boys in green." They only know about three songs, comprising a grand total of eight words and assorted clapping. Demanding that Olé olé be dropped because it's become associated with event junkies is cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    lads the ole ole tune is brilliant. great idea.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Let's face it, the crowd at Ireland games isn't capable of singing anything more complicated than, "Come on you boys in green." They only know about three songs, comprising a grand total of eight words and assorted clapping. Demanding that Olé olé be dropped because it's become associated with event junkies is cutting off our noses to spite our faces.
    (Home) International fans anywhere aren't the greatest for songs. It's not a regular crowd, you've a few matches a year which is not enough to build up the kind of familiarity you need for a good batch of songs. And, yes, in Ireland we do have a majority of people who aren't used to supporting teams, but I think that's the minor cause here.
    What I'm looking for at Ireland games is general rousing, shouting and noisiness and the crowd were grand on that front the other night.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    lads the ole ole tune is brilliant. great idea.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Demanding that Olé olé be dropped because it's become associated with event junkies is cutting off our noses to spite our faces.
    I wasn't suggesting we drop it - i was saying I really liked it. It just felt the right thing to sing.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast