Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy McCourt

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Paddy McCourt

Two wonder goals in consecutive games for Celtic. Will Worthington give McCourt a chance? I know he can be an infuriatingly inconsistent performer, but maybe under Mowbray he is learning how to put his undoubted talent to purposeful effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    if he keeps this up he certianly deserves a chance to prove himself

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I would suggest he has already done more than McGinn or one or two other squad regulars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    well he has done more this week but before that he has contributed naught regardles of his ability

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1898108.html

Surprisingly downbeat article in the Independent today about McCourt. I know none of the criticisms leveled at him will come as a surprise to Derry fans, and I know his two goals were against weaker opposition but in fairness, the man's scored two cracking goals this week when he was given his chance. I'm not sure what more he could have done. I do understand that he ma be considered a bit of a luxury player especially in the high stakes top of the table and EL games but I think the article's a little unfair.

Nor is McCourt the answer, despite the fact that in successive games the winger has scored remarkable solo goals which, though they are a delight to watch, are more like flashbacks to the age of black and white viewing than anything from the HDTV era.

But it is no accident that McCourt has rarely featured for Celtic in the 15 months since he arrived.

Lightweight

He was imported at the urging of the club's single biggest shareholder, Dermot Desmond, not because he had done anything to impress Gordon Strachan, who was Celtic manager at the time. Strachan regarded McCourt as a gifted but lightweight addition to his squad.

Mowbray, too, swiftly identified the deficiencies in McCourt's game, such as the failure to appreciate his colleagues' movement into good positions and his shortage of labouring capacity -- a serious drawback in modern football.

As cover for Aiden McGeady, whenever the Republic of Ireland man needs rest or medical treatment, McCourt has a function, especially against lesser opposition. However, watching his goals against Falkirk and St Mirren, one could make a reasonable guess at which point more accomplished -- or more cynical -- opponents would have picked him of

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I agree its a rather negative and unfair assesment and also inaccurate in that McCourt's distribution in the game was excellent. If a European player had scored either of those goals the same journo would probably be drooling. I hope that he gets a game against Rangers and lets see how more cynical opposition deals with him. I'm all for a bit of b&w nostalgia, it used to be called entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Two wonder goals in consecutive games for Celtic. Will Worthington give McCourt a chance?
    I expect he'll be in the squad for the Czechia game, especially if Brunt is injured. I see him as an impact sub with a free role, say if it was level going into the last half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I would suggest he has already done more than McGinn or one or two other squad regulars
    McGinn's done well as a sub in the three games I've seen him play (Hungary, Israel, Slovakia).

McCourt has started one (?) game in the SPL. That compares with the teenagers Worthy has blooded this year (Little, Lawrie, Kee etc.) but hardly with experienced midfielders like Davis, McCann and Clingan.
    Last edited by Gather round; 28/09/2009 at 9:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    if alan o brien scored two wonder goals next week he woldnt get straight into the republic set up so why should paddy go straight in regardles of his undoubted ability

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good finishing by McCourt for both but the defending I think there was only one attempt at a tackle accross both goals. Shocking stuff. I would have him in the squad, he's always had the ability but his application was the problem, he seems fitter and stronger now though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

McCourt handed N Ireland call-up

Pat McCourt's good form for Celtic has earned him a call-up to the Northern Ireland panel for the final World Cup qualifier away to the Czech Republic.
    The former Derry City man has scored in Celtic's last two matches, the second a fine individual effort at St Mirren.
    With Burnley striker Martin Paterson ruled out because of injury, Warren Feeney returns after a hip problem.
    Rangers front man Kyle Lafferty, who missed the home defeat by Slovakia, is also back in Nigel Worthington's squad.
    Although qualification is still mathematically possible, that 2-0 defeat at Windsor Park effectively killed off Northern Ireland's hopes of reaching the 2010 finals in South Africa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ls/8280252.stm

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    if alan o brien scored two wonder goals next week he woldnt get straight into the republic set up so why should paddy go straight in regardles of his undoubted ability
    The Republic of Ireland on paper have a far stronger squad/pool of players to pick from.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    The Republic of Ireland on paper have a far stronger squad/pool of players to pick from.

And there is a bigger chance of me scoring two wonder goals than Alan O'Brien and I dont even play football (anymore).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    i was just making a point that in general someone who onec had a cap for a country will prob not be recalled on the basis of ones weeks form but i think hes a good player and want him to succeed!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    i was just making a point that in general someone who onec had a cap for a country will prob not be recalled on the basis of ones weeks form but i think hes a good player and want him to succeed!

Point taken, and I also hope McCourt succeeds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    The thing is, he hasn't come from nowhere- by playing for anyone in English D1 or D2, or the SPL (even as a reserve), he's pretty much on the fringe of the squad anyway.

It would be more of a shock if someone in the Irish League, or playing part-time in England, scored a hatful and was called up on that basis.

Incidentally, much as like Colin Coates I can't see why he's still in the squad.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Isn't the SPL higher than all the Eng. divisions exc the EPL?

Well, at least with Celtic, though granted McCourt's a reserve. But seems to have ability in spades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    i would say championship is stronger bar the old firm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    i would say championship is stronger bar the old firm
    Just to clarify, by English D1 and D2 as above, I mean the Prem and Championship. I'm old (fashioned)

PS AV, do you really support Chelsea and Leeds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    yea im a wierdo i liked them both when i was a kid. leeds because of the irish players and the fact they were in the cahmpions league and stuff, and at the same time had a soft spot for chelsea because loved watchin zola play and they were quite good aswell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Just to clarify, by English D1 and D2 as above, I mean the Prem and Championship. I'm old (fashioned)

PS AV, do you really support Chelsea and Leeds?
    Is it that unusual for fans to support a big club like Chelsea and then have a soft spot for some mickey mouse third division sides like Yeovil and Leeds?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast