Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Paddy McCourt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I know very little about Northern Ireland other than that they wouldn't be great tbh!!

I was just wondering was that the most obvious reason.
    The reason is actually rather more simple than that. It is now two years since McCourt signed for Celtic. Since then he has been managed by Strachan (who signed him), Mowbray (who inherited him) and Lennon (who played/trained alongside him).

In that time he has made just 5 SPL starts (none of them against Rangers btw). I'm not sure how many of those he has finished, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was none. He has also been left on the bench (or discarded entirely) for Celtic's big Cup and European games. Moreover, for all this talk about him being an "impact sub", he is invariably only gets brought on late from the bench, often the final of the three subs. This includes games such as Braga and Utrecht this season where Celtic fell behind and were desperate for a goal.

Why should this be? Quite simply, he is not fit or strong enough to play full-time professional football to a decent standard. Both Strachan and Mowbray publicly urged him to improve his fitness and I have no doubt that this only followed their telling him the same in private. Similarly NW has said that if/when he gets a run of games for Celtic, he will come back into consideration for NI.

There is no good physiological or medical reason why McCourt has not got fitter; therefore none of his managers can go back on earlier demands for him to get fit, otherwise less talented but harder-working players would either take the hump, or start slacking themselves. And that is poison to any team, never mind one like NI, where hard work and commitment are often all we have to offer.

But before anyone thinks I am in some way biased against Paddy, I can honestly say I would love nothing better than to see him in an NI shirt, turning it on and frightening defences. I just don't want then to see him turning off and frightening his own defence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but you're aware of the 'Report' button on each post?
    Yes, but had I reported it and it was deleted, there will still have been people who have read and been influenced by it in the meantime.
    Besides, I actually think it is better to have prejudice exposed to public criticism, rather than concealed from public view, to re-emerge in private, amongst "friends".
    And if people think my replies are prejudiced etc, so be it - I'm happy to answer for them (unlike Flexy, who seems to have retreated from the scene).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    For somebody that cares "not a jot", you seem to know the religion of a lot of players.
    Yep, and here's how.

If a young NI player makes a bit of an impact and then gets a "Why don't we approach this guy?" thread opened for him on here, I assume he's Catholic.

But if there's no such thread, I assume he's a Prod.

Hasn't failed me yet...

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    You actually stated that I was a bigot on the thread entitled, Northern Ireland, in May 2009.
    And I stand by it.

Perhaps I should have called for you be banned, seeing as I took great offence.
    Go ahead. If the Mods think it merits banning me, I'll "take my medicine".

However, I am able to fight my own battles and don't need to go telling tales to moderators etc.
    It seems we have one thing in common, then,

If you don't like what people post, then p*ss off and don't post here.
    And if you don't like what I post...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Yep, and here's how.

If a young NI player makes a bit of an impact and then gets a "Why don't we approach this guy?" thread opened for him on here, I assume he's Catholic.

Hasn't failed me yet...
    Kernaghan must have been a shock to the system so....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    And I stand by it.

Go ahead. If the Mods think it merits banning me, I'll "take my medicine".

It seems we have one thing in common, then,

And if you don't like what I post...
    But the thing is I didn't call for a ban. What you said about me was as bad as what was said about Worthington. You called me a bigot. However, as I stated above I didn't feel the need to contact the moderators.For you to call for a ban on the poster above smacks of hypocrisy.Idiot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Yep, and here's how.

Hasn't failed me yet...
    .... but failing that they'll eventually get a letter from the IFA's community relations officer enquiring about their religion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    But the thing is I didn't call for a ban.
    Neither did I.

What you said about me was as bad as what was said about Worthington. You called me a bigot.
    Gather Round having kindly pointed out the original offence, all I need explain is that when somebody makes a bigoted point, in my book that makes him/her a bigot - especially when he/she refuses to retract it when challenged.

However, as I stated above I didn't feel the need to contact the moderators.For you to call for a ban on the poster above smacks of hypocrisy.Idiot
    There is a difference between feeling something ought in principle to be banned, and actually calling for it to be banned. I thought every idiot understood that.

P.S. I really don't want this all to be about me, or our little spat (I'm thinking of the children), so I'd be obliged if you either "put up" (to the Mods) or "shut up".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Kernaghan must have been a shock to the system so....
    No greater shock than the invention of Time Travel*.

As I said, hasn't failed me yet...

* - Kernaghan played for you long before foot.ie was ever even heard of...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    .... but failing that they'll eventually get a letter from the IFA's community relations officer enquiring about their religion.
    I'm not on the CRO's mailing list. Nor, I suspect, are you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Why should this be? Quite simply, he is not fit or strong enough to play full-time professional football to a decent standard.
    All well and good but qualified by the knowledge that a school boy has been included in the NI squad (at Paddy McCourt's expense?). Perhaps other issues at play have influenced Nigel's squad selection?

I'm not on the CRO's mailing list. Nor, I suspect, are you.
    Thankfully.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    That was the old one - Shane Maguire. A self confessed Republic Of Ireland fan.

He's long gone. Thankfully.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Pass the buck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    All well and good but qualified by the knowledge that a school boy has been included in the NI squad (at Paddy McCourt's expense?)
    Gorman has NOT been included at Paddy's expense. For one thing, he plays a different role and for another, NW is only bringing 20 to Slovenia, so he could have added Paddy as well.

Perhaps other issues at play have influenced Nigel's squad selection?
    Care to speculate on what those "other issues" might be?

Though before you answer, you might like to note what is being said about Paddy's fitness:

1. Here's Paddy himself (my emphasis):
    "When I came in at first the questions were valid because I was struggling really badly but I've been here two years now and I feel great. .... I don't feel as if I'm taking a breather during games. It's just that sometimes when you play on the wing, you can't have the ball for 90 minutes. .... the only way I'll get better now is by playing 90 minutes on a regular basis. You can do all the running and afternoon sessions you want but unless you're playing regular 90-minute football you're not going to get any more match fit."

And as we have seen since then, Paddy has NOT been playing the full 90 (under Lennon), or anything like it.

2. Next, here is what NW had to say a couple of weeks ago about Paddy before he picked the Slovenia squad:
    Nigel Worthington insists the “door is still open” for Paddy McCourt to return to the Northern Ireland fold.
    Worthington told the Belfast Telegraph McCourt simply has to keep fit and keep playing and he will be in contention for the upcoming Euro 2012 qualifier away to Slovenia next month.

“The door is still open for Paddy,” he said.

“He was injured a lot over the last year with different bumps and things and that got in the way.

“We all know the quality he possesses but I've told Paddy that he has to work hard when he plays, as do all the players in the team, and he knows that.

“But if he gets a regular spot at Celtic then he will be in my plans.

“I brought the youngsters in to give them some experience, to give them a chance but the door is still open for everyone"

Remember, it was actually NW who recalled Paddy to the NI set-up and gave him his second and third caps, after EIGHT YEARS in the international wilderness under McIlroy and Sanchez...

3. And finally, here is what Ronnie Cully, the Glasgow Evening Times Chief Football Reporter had to say recently (my emphasis):

Mercurial Paddy McCourt must prove he’s fit to wear hooped jersey

Ronnie Cully

11 Aug 2010

Paddy McCourt could have been lining up against Wigan on Saturday, a prelude to facing Arsenal at the Emirates as Blackpool tried to find their feet in the Barlcays Premier League.

Instead, the enigmatic Northern Ireland midfielder will head north, not south, hoping he is fit enough to be included in the Celtic side who kick off their quest to regain the SPL title at Inverness.

The security of a two-year contract extension will help ward off any regrets McCourt may harbour about not embarking on another exciting new chapter to his stop-start career in England.

But it is about play – not pay – for the man who will be 27 by the time the next transfer window opens.

Neil Lennon has opened a window of opportunity to him to show he can make a serious contribution to Celtic’s fortunes. In the wake of Aiden McGeady’s £9.5million departure to Moscow, the position vacant sign hangs tantalisingly within reach.

But the Parkhead boss has simultaneously thrown down the gauntlet to McCourt to prove his unproven fitness does not continue to overshadow his undoubted ability.

It has been an unequal contest for the past two years, as only 20 appearances – and just four starts – for the club testifies.

When, in the summer of 2008, former Derry star McCourt was steered away from a move to West Brom in an eleventh-hour pincer movement which left then Baggies boss Tony Mowbray disappointed, the baggage came with him.

From the first training sessions he endured at Lennoxtown, core fitness – or the lack of it – was a genuine concern for sports scientists who struggled to understand how a man who had been a professional footballer since joining Rochdale in 2000 could lag so far behind his team-mates.

Gordon Strachan would watch him take one tentative step forward, in terms of gaining the necessary level of fitness, then two back as the strain of getting there took its toll, most often on his hamstrings.

It was an education to listen to Strachan as he watched McCourt in reserve team action. One one occasion, in a game at Lennoxtown, he predicted Paddy’s next mazy run and goal, then, equally accurately, warned you not to expect to see him involved again for about 20 minutes while he got his breath back.

Duly recovered, and right on cue, McCourt signalled his return to the match with a repeat of his opening dribble and goal before disappearing yet again into a fog of his own heavy breathing.

The admiration was matched by the exasperation as Strachan, and Mowbray after him, failed to find a way to accommodate such a physically-flawed genius in the Celtic side.

The frustration was exacerbated by McCourt’s ability to score wonder goals against the likes of Falkirk and St Mirren, enhancing his reputation among the support, but failing to rid himself of the fitness demons which made a run of games impossible.

Already this season, he has been listed among the injured as often as among the starters.

None of which deterred Ian Holloway from trying in January to sign McCourt for his promotion-chasing Blackpool side, or from coming back in for him in this window after their step up to the top flight was confirmed.

But, those efforts having been repelled, it is at Celtic that McCourt will be challenged once more to prove he is not only good enough, but physically strong enough to hack it.

The expected arrival of Liam Lawrence will provide more industry in the wide midfield positions, but it is to McCourt that Lennon will look to provide the magic which left with McGeady.

“I have been here two years now, and want to break into the team sooner rather than later,” he said with no sense of irony.

“I’ve already had a few years to find my feet and build myself up, so I am feeling ready to step into the team.

“It’s a fresh start when the new manager comes in, for everyone, not just me.

“Having had a couple of conversations with him over the past few weeks, I’m feeling very confident that I am going to have a good year and make a number of appearances.”

Given the track record of disappointment to date, it would have been easy for Lennon to sanction the player’s move out of the club and re-invest the £500,000 sale fee in someone whose return would be more predictable.

But the manager is pinning his colours to McCourt’s mast, as the new contract underlines, and the gesture is acting as an added incentive to make 2010-11 the season the fans – and not Paddy – are left breathless."

To date, Lennon has still only accorded one competitive start this season, against Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Unfortunately he had to come after an hour, having been injured in his post-goal celebration...
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 01/09/2010 at 2:20 PM.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Giving up his smoking habit might improve Patrick's fitness.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Giving up his smoking habit might improve Patrick's fitness.
    Now, now NB, I'm sure it must be "other issues"...

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Neither did I.

Gather Round having kindly pointed out the original offence, all I need explain is that when somebody makes a bigoted point, in my book that makes him/her a bigot - especially when he/she refuses to retract it when challenged.

There is a difference between feeling something ought in principle to be banned, and actually calling for it to be banned. I thought every idiot understood that.

P.S. I really don't want this all to be about me, or our little spat (I'm thinking of the children), so I'd be obliged if you either "put up" (to the Mods) or "shut up".
    and what's good for the goose.....

clown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Gorman has NOT been included at Paddy's expense. For one thing, he plays a different role and for another, NW is only bringing 20 to Slovenia, so he could have added Paddy as well.
    Cost saving measure not bringing Paddy, eh? Those legal costs and former employee pay-offs are counting up.

Care to speculate on what those "other issues" might be?
    Nigel's looking to tie young Gorman to NI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Cost saving measure not bringing Paddy, eh? Those legal costs and former employee pay-offs are counting up.
    If NW was really under cost-saving measures, I'm sure he could have trimmed his squad for the recent friendly vs Montenegro. Alternatively, he could have retained eg Norwood, Little and McGivern in the Senior squad for Slovenia, rather than returning them to the U-21 squad playing San Marino the same might, which could more easily have withstood trimming...

Nigel's looking to tie young Gorman to NI.
    Gorman already IS tied to us - under FIFA Article 18, a player may now only switch Associations once, and young Gorman has already represented another Association...

Anyhow, managed to come up with any other possible explanations for Paddy's exclusion by NW?

Perhaps one which you're afraid to spell out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Gorman already IS tied to us - under FIFA Article 18, a player may now only switch Associations once, and young Gorman has already represented another Association...
    What other association has he represented and when?

Anyhow, managed to come up with any other possible explanations for Paddy's exclusion by NW?
    As opposed to quoting articles to document his current fitness?

Perhaps one which you're afraid to spell out?
    We're not of the same mindset. Thankfully.
    Last edited by ifk101; 01/09/2010 at 5:25 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast