Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    He hasn't had many NI caps largely because he can't get in the Celtic team

2009/10: 3+6 SPL games
    2008/09: 0+4

If he manages 10-15 successive games this term I can see him back in the squad.
    1) He had a career before Celtic

2) If you look a recent squads, getting your game regularly in the first team doesn't seem anywhere near a prerequisite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    1) He had a career before Celtic
    Aye, in part-time leagues and the English Division 4. Most NI regulars play a couple of divisions higher than that.

2) If you look a recent squads, getting your game regularly in the first team doesn't seem anywhere near a prerequisite
    Fair point- I meant to say 'team' rather than 'squad' above.

NI first team during recent qualifiers

G Taylor (Birmingham- Prem reserve- no other keepers playing regularly in top English divisions or equivalent)

D McAuley (Ipswich- C'ship regular)
    D Hughes (Fulham- Prem regular)
    D Evans (ManU-Prem regular)
    D McCartney (Sunderland-Prem regular)

M Baird (Fulham- Prem regular)
    M Clingan (Coventry- C'ship regular)
    M Davis (Rangers- SPL regular)
    M Johnson (Birmingham- Prem reserve)
    M McCann (Scunthorpe- C'ship regular)

F Healy (Sunderland youth team?- still living off 35 international goals)

Also played at least three games: D Craigan (Motherwell- SPL regular), M Brunt (West Brom- C'ship regular), M Gillespie (Sheff Utd- C'ship regular), F Paterson (Burnley-C'ship regular), F Lafferty (Rangers- SPL regular), F Feeney (Dundee United- SPL regular)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Aye, in part-time leagues
    When did Paddy play in the IL?
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    When did Paddy play in the IL?
    Ha ha. Not all players in the League of Ireland are full-time, are they? So it's a part-time league. I'm not criticising that, it's just not a high enough standard to displace players from the English Champ and Scottish Prem who have been McCourt's rivals for a place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Ha ha. Not all players in the League of Ireland are full-time, are they? So it's a part-time league. I'm not criticising that, it's just not a high enough standard to displace players from the English Champ and Scottish Prem who have been McCourt's rivals for a place.
    If more players where full time than part time when Paddy was here, wouldn't that make it a full time league?If there are 12 clubs, and only 2 are "part time", how is the league pt?
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    If more players where full time than part time when Paddy was here, wouldn't that make it a full time league?If there are 12 clubs, and only 2 are "part time", how is the league pt?
    No, it becomes a full-time league when all the players (or at least all the clubs) are full time. In recent years, the English Conference has tried to achieve and maintain this, to distinguish itself from the regional leagues below. The obvious difference between players at the different levels is usually fitness.

As I said, I'm not criticising part-time football, nor even McCourt particularly. If he plays regularly for Celtic this term, he's likely to get into the NI team. If he stays in the stiffs, he won't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    He doesn't get a chance for NI because Nigel Worthington is a useless idiot.

No other reason at all, no matter what certain idividuals try to imply.

I don't understand why Worthington won't show more faith, McGinn came on and the games he has played he has been fantastic. No reason why McCourt can't do the same considering he's supposedly the better of the two.

McCourt could probably do with playing in a better league than the SPL though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McGinn is ahead of McCourt in the Parkhead pecking order, is he not?

Somebody brought the point up earlier - McCourt is a unique type of player and he needs to be around players who compliment his style. McGinn, to my mind, is a more direct player and has more to offer the current NI (and Celtic) team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Nigel Worthington is an idiot!!!!!!!!! again he over looks McCourt in the N Ireland squad, I look at some of the players in that squad and wonder what he sees in some of the players hes picked. No wonder Northern Ireland has lost players to the Republic with his mindless attitude. Milk Cup 2 yrs ago James McLean played great at the Milk Cup, on that team were Corey Evans Wipeee Cathgart and Josh Mcguines they have all represented Nireland now because McLean is playing in LOI he wont have a look at it him. Is it getting to the stage that he will only call protestant players into his team or at least have a look. Remember he took a few Irish league players away in the summer did he look at the LOI no enough said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Paddy doesn't have enough graft to play for NI according to Worthington.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Another thing why is Mannus not in the NI squad for, he picks Blaney as 3rd choice keeper, obviously thinks Irish League is better than LOI or is it that he wants to keep the directors of the Blues happy with picking one of their players. The guy just doesnt have a clue about anything in management or coaching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I'd imagine Mannus is in the cold for not going on the Summer tour when picked this year
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    McCourt's a Catholic from Derry playing for Glasgow Celtic.

Is this the reason he's not being given a fair crack of the whip?

There is a guy in the squad aged 17 who has never even played a senior game of professional football FFS.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There are other Catholics from Derry playing for Glasgow Celtic who regularly make the squad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    There are other Catholics from Derry playing for Glasgow Celtic who regularly make the squad.

Who exactly? McGinn is from Tyrone incase you were thinking he's from Derry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    McGinn isn't from Derry and hasn't been near the team in the games I've seen this season.

Apart from that you're right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I probably should have fact-checked that. But Celtic did buy him "from Derry" so I was kind of right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    McCourt's a Catholic from Derry playing for Glasgow Celtic.

Is this the reason he's not being given a fair crack of the whip?

There is a guy in the squad aged 17 who has never even played a senior game of professional football FFS.
    Its probably that he just doesnt rate McCourt as a player he will ever have use for, similar to Trapattoni and Andy Reid.

The jury is very much out on McCourt at Celtic by the way, his goals, although brilliant, have been against minnows, he is rarely involved in the bigger games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Came on as a sub today for Celtic. Played barely half an hour and was walking around for too much of it. Not enough urgency and the fecker wouldn't run to warm himself up.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Came on as a sub today for Celtic. Played barely half an hour and was walking around for too much of it. Not enough urgency and the fecker wouldn't run to warm himself up.
    True, though he looked very good with the ball at his feet and moved the ball forward quite well - which was needed when they brought him on. He could have had a huge impact on the game if were interested in occasionally running off the ball rather than walking about. He was usally behind the attackers and midfielders who were breaking forward and would get the ball, beat a player and pass it forward. This is fine as long as you don't lose the ball as with so many players pushing on the counter attack would be set up. He did lose the ball twice today and respond by grabbing the shirt of his opponent in attempt to stop an attack.

There was one interesting incident when a team mate misplaced a pass to him. Paddy appeared to have a bit of a moan before sauntering to the ball before it went out of play.
    I do reckon he has the ability to be a factor in the bigger games. I am a bit surprised that he's not in the NI squad. I'd have him on the bench for most games myself but I'm not the manager

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast