Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Hughton(B. 1958)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Chris Hughton(B. 1958)

What a great job Hughton is doing at Newcastle. Under the most difficult of circumstances this guy has Newcastle at the top of the championship. A collection of misfits are no wlooking like a half decent team. FFS Alan Smith looks like proper midfielder. Future Ireland manager?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    He's brought stability sure but in all fairness what he's done is turned a multi-million euro team into a decent championship side. It's not that miraculous and for me highlights more how bad Keegan and Shearer were than how good he is. If he stays on as manager and guides them to the top half of the premiership next season then it's time to start asking these questions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    He's done very well so far.
    You've got no fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Never underestimate how difficult Newcastle can make the job of being their manager.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Future Ireland manager?
    Despite all you say I still can't shake off the image of Hughton by Kerr's side as he made some daft substitutions, such as the home game against Israel.

I like the guy and he was a great player for us but I think he is a long way off the standard of manager we'd need to be competitive at international level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think Hughton is one to watch; he has spent many years by various managers' sides, learning the ropes & biding his time. You could see him step into full time managing based on this & perhaps a contender for the Ireland role if it all goes well for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Despite all you say I still can't shake off the image of Hughton by Kerr's side as he made some daft substitutions, such as the home game against Israel.

I like the guy and he was a great player for us but I think he is a long way off the standard of manager we'd need to be competitive at international level.
    He was the stereotypical number 2 then though. A bit of a yes man, imo. Maybe as a a manager he'd be different? He certainly seems to be growing into the role. I agree though that Newcastle have a seriously quality squad compared to the rest of the championship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    If he continues in this vain, gets Newcastle back to the Premiership and then establishes them as a top flight side, then he will be mentioned in connection with the Ireland position, and rightly so.
    However, remember just 2 short years ago, people were saying the same about John Sheridan, and before that David O'Leary was linked with the job after his performance as Leeds manager.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    has sheridan a club now?

FORMERLY: Youwerethereray Traps Cat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    has sheridan a club now?
    Yes, Chesterfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    has sheridan a club now?
    No Dublin City are still expunged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Hughton has officially been named Newcastle manager, and Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market. In addition, 20 million pounds have been pumped into the club.

Congratulations to Chris for earning his first permanent managerial position- he's put the work in for years as an assistant, and deserves the chance.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Fair play to Chris Hughton. Still a whole lot of dead weight at Newcastle that must be trimmed before they can compete properly in the Premiership.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Hughton has officially been named Newcastle manager, and Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market. In addition, 20 million pounds have been pumped into the club.
    Delighted for Chris Hughton - best of luck to him. I may have one of the first young players he coached on a Premier Dairies summer soccer camp way back when (U-12) - long before the days of Samba Soccer

Unfortunately though, as a Newcastle fan, the news that Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market is likely to cause more turmoil. I don't think the fans, players or backroom staff will be too pleased with that news (he was one of the primary reasons why Shay decided to cut his losses there last season).
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Delighted for Chris Hughton - best of luck to him. I may have one of the first young players he coached on a Premier Dairies summer soccer camp way back when (U-12) - long before the days of Samba Soccer

Unfortunately though, as a Newcastle fan, the news that Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market is likely to cause more turmoil. I don't think the fans, players or backroom staff will be too pleased with that news (he was one of the primary reasons why Shay decided to cut his losses there last season).
    atleast it brings some stability to the club. as long as things continue on an upward slope it will all be rosey.
    if they get promoted then next season ashley and the fans will not have stupidly high expectations as they have had before and in the long run can only be a good thing for chris and the club aswell as ashleys blood pressure

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Good luck to Chris.
    I thought, as one might expect, that he might be struck with a losing run after being officially appointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I expect Ashley may put it back on the market if the club secure promotion (given that a PL club is worth much much more than a Championship one)
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    atleast it brings some stability to the club. as long as things continue on an upward slope it will all be rosey.
    if they get promoted then next season ashley and the fans will not have stupidly high expectations as they have had before and in the long run can only be a good thing for chris and the club aswell as ashleys blood pressure
    I don't think it actually does bring any stability. In January this year the club was up for sale, Joe Kinnear had scraped a few points together and Newcastle had started to pull away from the bottom three. On the morning of the Liverpool game Ashley announced that he was taking the club off the market, the team got thrashed and Shay came out afterwards and announced he wanted out (after ten years of loyalty). In the past two years the teams' best performances have been when there was a prospect of Ashley leaving the club. I just fear that disillusionment is about to set in again!
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Best of luck Chris!! - Comes across as a great guy and we need Irish managers progressing well - Slightly strange timing in that whilst they are top of the league, two draws followed by two defeats and the last result a 92nd minute winner guaranteed them the 3 pts.

I dont believe the club is off the market - there are no buyers currently - if one was to come in with the £80m or so reduced asking price Im sure he'd snap their hands off. He also hasnt pumped another £20m in to the club - he's suggested it will be made available (hes suggested a lot of things in the past tho right?) If he can sell without investing further cash of his own then Im sure this is the option he'd take.

Of course, the club would be worth much more IF they are a premiership side, no guarantees there though - are there?

Ashley is also looking to sell the naming rites for St. James Park to bring in some extra cash.

Anyway I hope Chris does well it what will be an extremely difficult job.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Congratulations to Chris Hughton for achieving promotion with Newcastle. He's turned a joke of a team into a functioning, efficient unit once again. The real test doesn't come until next season, but I think he's up for it.

Potential future Ireland manager if he continues to impress at Newcastle...
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast