Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Chris Hughton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There's the redemption factor
    Then there's the legendary factor, in two years time he would be the Celtic manager left standing to hold aloft the 10 in a row spl trophy and about to complete the quintuple treble.
    Would that not get him seated at the right hand of Jock Stein?
    On the flipside, being the guy who blows the ten in a row would get him seated alongside John Barnes and Tony Mowbray in Celtic folklore. Even Ronny Deila succeeded in keeping the run going.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/05/2019 at 12:38 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    On the flipside, being the guy who blows the ten in a row would get him seated alongside John Barnes and Tony Mowbray in Celtic folklore. Even Ronny Deila succeeded in keeping the run going.
    Yes but are you not claiming that the flipside of Chris Hughton, who is an epitome of confidence, positivity and football coach supremo, are the voices in your head and john Barnes?
    That's a bit of a stretch DL

3. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I still disagree on Hoolahan. He played most of the previous season when they finished 11th, and he was outstanding. I remember looking at the the stats at the time and they didn't concede any more goals with Hoolahan starting than without, but created far less. Hoolahan didn't leave the bench for that 7-0 Manchester City match you mention, for example, so it's not as if leaving him out made them any more solid. Hughton remained stubborn until the end though despite Norwich getting worse and worse.
    Hughton knew he needed to grind out results - now I agree that he should have place Hoolahan, but I can understand why he didn't and stats don't tell everything.

When Hughton was sacked Norwich were five points above the relegation zone - in the 8 games before he was sacked they had 2 wins and 2 draws. The Norwich board panicked because the fans were getting on the backs of the team and demanding Hughton be sacked. I still think Hughton would have kept Norwich up - but we will never know that one.

I do agree that a manager needs time to build a Premier League team, but I couldn't help feeling Brighton had began to plummet under him. I can see why action was taken. They'd have probably been relegated but for the farcical decisions that went against Cardiff in that match against Chelsea a few weeks back, granted these things allegedly 'balance out' over a season. We'll never know if he'd have got them moving in the right direction again next season, maybe he would have.
    Gross and Locadia were injured - his two best attacking options on the pitch - Andone acted like a primadonna every time he was put on the pitch - the guy wouldn't track back. Brighton needed pace - but the brain trust in the Brighton transfer dept decided not to buy pace last season.

Hughton could have taken them forward - Bissouma would have been a year older and had a years experience of the PL under his belt (he was playing well at the end of the season) and Jahanbaksh has had a year to adjust and might come good. If Brighton buy a couple of midfielders with pace and a striker who can score 15 goals then Brighton would be in a much better place. Hughton had built a solid defence and his Brighton were very hard to beat. Man City struggled to beat them 1-0 in the cup semi-final and then went out and hammered 6 past Watford.

Potter coaches a different type of game - there are already rumours that he wants to dump Duffy because he doesn't pass the ball out from the back - Duffy was Brighton's best player last season. Now Potter might turn out to be good (but you don't get rid of an experienced manager who has never been relegated to back an unknown quantity whose reputation has been significantly overhyped). IMO unless Brighton spend about 100million bringing in 3-4 players and scrap their wage cap to get players good enough - they will struggle far worse that they did this season. The problem is their owner Bloom makes his money from gambling and he uses analytics - he is all about not overspending for players - but the PL is the one place you have to significantly overspend in order to survive.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Potter coaches a different type of game - there are already rumours that he wants to dump Duffy because he doesn't pass the ball out from the back - Duffy was Brighton's best player last season. Now Potter might turn out to be good (but you don't get rid of an experienced manager who has never been relegated to back an unknown quantity whose reputation has been significantly overhyped).
    Good post overall JRG.

However, Duffy fulfils a very specific role in a very specific type of team. In many ways, his way of playing is from 20 years ago. Most coaches in the Premiership nowadays expect their centre backs to be able to receive the ball and find a pass. Duffy simply cannot and does not do that. While he is a threat in the opposition box and a bullish, strong defender in his own, he also gives the ball away far more than most which, from my perspective, would have created a lot of the pressure that B&HA found themselves under during games. The question is whether the benefits outweight the risks. If Potter wants a ball player there then you have to say fair enough and, to your point, let him live and die by his decisions.

Personally, I wouldn't have Duffy anywhere near the Irish team if I was manager for the reasons outlined above. He gets a pass from many due to his commitment and passion but he just turns the ball over way too much for my liking. Its a nonstop hoof-fest when he is on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Good post overall JRG.

However, Duffy fulfils a very specific role in a very specific type of team. In many ways, his way of playing is from 20 years ago. Most coaches in the Premiership nowadays expect their centre backs to be able to receive the ball and find a pass. Duffy simply cannot and does not do that. While he is a threat in the opposition box and a bullish, strong defender in his own, he also gives the ball away far more than most which, from my perspective, would have created a lot of the pressure that B&HA found themselves under during games. The question is whether the benefits outweight the risks. If Potter wants a ball player there then you have to say fair enough and, to your point, let him live and die by his decisions.

Personally, I wouldn't have Duffy anywhere near the Irish team if I was manager for the reasons outlined above. He gets a pass from many due to his commitment and passion but he just turns the ball over way too much for my liking. Its a nonstop hoof-fest when he is on the pitch.
    Pun not intended

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213