Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni signs two-year extension

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Trapattoni signs two-year extension

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/...apattonig.html

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has agreed a two-year extension to his current contract with the FAI.

Speculation had been rife that a new deal was near completion, but RTÉ Sport understands that the Italian has signed a two-year extension to his current deal, which was due to expire at the end of the current World Cup campaign.

More to follow.
    In Trap we trust

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has agreed a two-year extension to his current contract with the FAI.

Speculation had been rife that a new deal was near completion, but RTÉ Sport understands that the Italian has signed a two-year extension to his current deal, which was due to expire at the end of the current World Cup campaign.

The deal with Trapattoni will again be part funded by Denis O'Brien, who was instrumental in securing the Italian's services 18 months ago.

Welcoming the new contract, John Delaney, Chief Executive of the Football Association of Ireland, said: 'We are very happy to agree a contract extension with Giovanni Trapattoni. The players and everyone on the FAI Board of Management have been tremendously impressed by the professionalism, dedication and commitment of Giovanni Trapattoni and his team.

'We thank Denis O'Brien for his continuing contribution which will guarantee the services of one of the world's most successful managers, through until 2012.'

Trapattoni revealed: 'I am delighted to continue my job with the FAI. This squad has huge potential. Our results demonstrate what self belief and structure can achieve and I am really looking forward to continuing the work we have begun.'

Welcoming the renewed appointment, businessman O'Brien said: 'When the appointment of Giovanni Trapattoni was announced, we said that hiring the right people would enable us to get the right results.

'In Giovanni, the team has grown in stature and confidence and I am very happy to renew my partnership with the FAI, Giovanni Trapattoni and the Irish squad for the coming campaign.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/...apattonig.html

More to follow.
    Got the txt from the eircom site that confirms it. Good news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Got the txt from the eircom site that confirms it. Good news.
    Not for Andy Reid, its not.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    2 more years of Trap. Good news. By then hopefullyJohn Sheridan will have gotten a promotion under his belt with Chesterfield and will have moved on to a decent sized championship club (Sheff Wed seems obvious) and will have the expereince to take up the reigns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Not happy with this. Why couldn't they wait and see if we qualify first?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Thats the end of Andy Reid's international career then
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Not happy with this. Why couldn't they wait and see if we qualify first?
    Why? Trap's done everything asked of him, and more. If we draw France in a play-off and are knocked out you don't think his contract should be renewed?!

Great news, delighted to have another two years of his organisation on the pitch and his endearing lunacy off it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Why? Trap's done everything asked of him, and more. If we draw France in a play-off and are knocked out you don't think his contract should be renewed?!

Great news, delighted to have another two years of his organisation on the pitch and his endearing lunacy off it.
    We've had a ton of luck and played some absolutely putrid football. I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one. IMO Trap benefits as regards public perception from having taken over from someone as inept as Stan. If we qualify, great. If not, I'd prefer to see someone else get a go.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good news. Possibly could have waited till second was confirmed first though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Whether you think he's one of the greatest managers in the world or a mediocre conservative guy who's lucked his way this far....well it's irrelevant since we wouldn't be getting any better than mediocrity looking elsewhere.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    We've had a ton of luck and played some absolutely putrid football. I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one. IMO Trap benefits as regards public perception from having taken over from someone as inept as Stan. If we qualify, great. If not, I'd prefer to see someone else get a go.
    Such as not getting a stonewall penalty against Montenegro? Or not conceding an unfortunate og at home to Bulgaria? The luck's evened out so far, it's a myth that we've been blessed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Anyone any idea what seeding we are likely to get for the EURO qualifiers. I had a look but you would need a Phd in Advanced Mathematics to work it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Such as not getting a stonewall penalty against Montenegro? Or not conceding an unfortunate og at home to Bulgaria? The luck's evened out so far, it's a myth that we've been blessed.
    i agree we havent been blessed, we've just been bland and boring.

Despite my disgust for his tactics/style of play and occasionally his selection, i have no problem with him getting another two years. It is good sleeping material watching this team play which is good for an insomniac like me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    We won't be whupped by a 'decent team', in fact the one thing Trap seems to have guaranteed is that. You could argue that we're less likely to cause a shock win against a big team nowadays, but we are certainly not going to be hammered by anyone nowadays. And considering the last time we had one of those shock wins was 8 years ago, that's a pretty good trade for me.

As for luck.... In our past campaign we needed luck to scrape a last minute draw at home to Cyprus and a last minute winner to San fecking Marino. Now our 'luck' consists of grinding out good results despite not having the majority of possession. No last minute blocks, no miracle saves, no last gasp goals. The fortunate penalty against Georgia could be countered by the travesty of not getting a pen in Podgorica. We played fantastic football away to Bulgaria in the first half and went in at 1-1 due to a moment of madness. Similarly Bulgaria hardly had a chance all night in Croker until we put the ball in to our own net. So the big slice of luck we had was not having to play Georgia in Tblisi, is that really enough to say he's a hugely lucky manager??

And putrid football? Give me a competitive 0-0 with Italy in two weeks over not getting a kick in Stuttgart, being brushed aside in Prague and of course there was also Cyrpus. It's also less putrid than the Kerr regime, and is getting results that Kerr couldn't. He's also achieving better results/performances than McCarthy got for a very, very long time.

But if you know of a manager who will get Caleb Folan, Sean St Ledger, Glenn Whelan and Kevin Kilbane playing like Spain whilst also grinding out tough results then please do share.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I think he's done a good enough job so far to have earned the extention. He has his negative points but the positive points far outweigh them.
    I'm also glad that we can put off the media circus sorrounding the selection of a new manager for another two years. The length of the selection process and some of the suggested names was really offputting last time.
    If I had put a tenner against every short-term favourite I would have made a lot of money. I'm feeling in general positive about the International set-up at the moment even though the world cup dream could be dead in a month or so. That coupled with having to look for new manager from a bunch of has-beens would all but kill my positive feelings.
    I think it would be very difficult/impossible for the FAI to find anyone as good as or better than Trap anyway. My only slight reservation would be his age but that doesn't appear to effect him yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Ah come on. Playing Georgia in Mainz, the penalty at home to Georgia, the Italian sending-off. That's 3 strokes of amazing good fortune and most certainly not evened out by whatever bad luck has befallen thus far in my opinion.

I usually believe in "you make your own luck", but that penalty in Croke Park

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    We've had a ton of luck and played some absolutely putrid football. I think we have the potential to be seriously whupped by a decent team, if we ever have to play one.
    Hmmm, I think we played Italy in Italy and didn't get whupped. I think they are a decent team by world standards.

ANyone like Giles or Dunphy who thinks the likes of Paul Jewell would do much better with much of the mediocrity at our disposal is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Good news.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post

But if you know of a manager who will get Caleb Folan, Sean St Ledger, Glenn Whelan and Kevin Kilbane playing like Spain whilst also grinding out tough results then please do share.
    They wouldn't need to!
    Except for St.Ledger I wouldn't have any of those guys in an Ireland team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Ah yes, so Clinton Morisson would lead our free-flowing band of total footballers to South Africa , qualifying after about 6 games. And you'll no doubt change your tune on St Ledger once the lad makes a couple of mistakes. Suddenly he'll be rubbish and Marc Wilson or someone else will be the answer to all our prayers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast