Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni signs two-year extension

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lets make the arguement a bit simpler - Do you wanna play like free flowing fancy football or get results & reach major tournaments?? I know its the latter for me!!

For example sake I'll bet no Arsenal fan of the late eighties early nineties cried for free flowing fancy trophyless (no)European Cup football football or did they just enjoy the cups & league's they seemed to win 1-0 playing so called non-football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philliyk View Post
    Lets make the arguement a bit simpler - Do you wanna play like free flowing fancy football or get results & reach major tournaments?? I know its the latter for me!!

For example sake I'll bet no Arsenal fan of the late eighties early nineties cried for free flowing fancy trophyless (no)European Cup football football or did they just enjoy the cups & league's they seemed to win 1-0 playing so called non-football
    We haven't reached any tournament yet. My original point was that we should've waited to see what happens. If we come second and put up a good show in the play-offs I'll say fair enough.
    Otherwise, jaysis, surely there's other coaches out there who could do as good a job? If anyone wants to poach Trap, the FAI can send them a tape of the Georgia home game or Cyprus home or away. Look what you get for your million a year! Great, huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    the FAI can send them a tape of the Georgia home game or Cyprus home or away. Look what you get for your million a year!
    9 points from 9

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

?

Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    We haven't reached any tournament yet. My original point was that we should've waited to see what happens. If we come second and put up a good show in the play-offs I'll say fair enough.
    Otherwise, jaysis, surely there's other coaches out there who could do as good a job? If anyone wants to poach Trap, the FAI can send them a tape of the Georgia home game or Cyprus home or away. Look what you get for your million a year! Great, huh?
    Really Don't understand your Problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mise Le Mas View Post
    Really Don't understand your Problem
    I want to believe, I really do. But I just don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    If people want fast, fine, free-flowing football, Brazil is their team to watch. If you want results, watch Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Brilliant he is staying on!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great news, football is not the best to watch most of the time but he gets results. Honestly who would have thought we'd be in this position after Stan left? Would you like to qualify playing boring football or go out playing better. I know we want to be entertained but I think we'd all want be supporting Ireland next summer than supporting Argentina or Spain.
    Pull my finger!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think it's great news too. After the last 6 years we're in no position to complain about lack of flair if we're getting results.

I know it's old ground, but looking at the October squad it's a good mix of old and new: Foley, Westwood, Nolan, O'Dea, SSL, Whelan, Andrews, Lawrence, Folan, Best are all pretty much Trap call ups. The squad is changing and is open to newcomers - albeit only at select windows of opportunity. We're on the right track and it's gradually getting better. Unfortunately Trap can't just magic up a left back, make Duff, Steven Reid & Stephen Finnan injury proof and turn Stephen Ireland into an emotionally mature patriot.

I'm hopeful next spring will also be a window for some others to get a look and who knows, we may just be going to a major finals once again.

Andy Reid's ommission is the only negative for me really, but the positives far outweigh the negatives (especially now Reid has lost weight ).

I think the players like him and work for him. I think they trust him too, so when he says to do it his way they oblige. That's important. We haven't had a manager capable of doing that for a while.

I had a vision of Ireland in SA being like Rehaggel's Greece in 2004. Not a great team, but they were successful because of other attributes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Hopefully we get to the play offs and it goes well.

For Ireland to have a coach of Traps standing for 4 years instead of 2 has to be a good thing.

I would say that the experience of working with Trap will have a positive effect on most of these players for the rest of their careers.

When you compare some of the candidates that were suggested last time and Trapatoni then I am glad he is going to be at the helm for another 2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Not happy about his new contract. We play abyssmal football, no creativity, he is more interested in not losing, rather than winning. He is an old man and the fact that he was employed by Red Bull Salzburg in the Austrian league and not a big team shows that he is not the star manager he once was.

I'm not saying that we should be playing like Brazil/Spain, but there should be some spark, some creativity or even some bite. Whelan and Andrews are anonymous in the middle.

The arguement of "would you rather have Stan back" is moot, he was a disaster, these things happen. If we got someone else in then maybe we could get the results without the god awful drivel we play at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Not happy about his new contract. We play abyssmal football, no creativity, he is more interested in not losing, rather than winning. He is an old man and the fact that he was employed by Red Bull Salzburg in the Austrian league and not a big team shows that he is not the star manager he once was.

I'm not saying that we should be playing like Brazil/Spain, but there should be some spark, some creativity or even some bite. Whelan and Andrews are anonymous in the middle.

The arguement of "would you rather have Stan back" is moot, he was a disaster, these things happen. If we got someone else in then maybe we could get the results without the god awful drivel we play at the moment.

Agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    If we got someone else in then maybe we could get the results without the god awful drivel we play at the moment.
    At the moment we are getting the results with the "god awful drivel". Get over it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Giovanni Trapattoni has accepted a pay-cut in order to continue as Ireland manager until the conclusion of the 2012 European Championships. The 70-year-old currently earns a reputed €2m per year from his existing contract, which expires at the end of next year's World Cup in South Africa, but a smaller sum will be wiring its way into his bank account once his new deal kicks in after the tournament.

It is not known for certain how much Trapattoni's contract has been reduced by but it is not believed to be a symbolic figure.

"I said to the FAI, sure, we don't want any more money than what we are on," said Trapattoni. "One hundred per cent I said that. So I let the FAI decide on this matter. We [Trapattoni and Marco Tardelli] said to the FAI taking less money is not an issue for us. We have agreed financial terms. And I have taken less than the last time because we recognised the current economic climate and the problems that exist in the world."

The manager's willingness to accept a reduction in his annual salary was not believed to be a deal breaker in contract negotiations, but indications are that the flexibility and eagerness shown by the Italian in agreeing to the new deal succeeded in oiling the machinery of the entire process.

Business man Denis O'Brien will continue to pay half the annual salary of the Irish management team – a figure that will be reduced from the estimated €1.5m per annum he is currently handing over – with the FAI stumping up the rest of the money.

Trapattoni will have turned 73 by the time his new Ireland contract expires at the end of the Euro 2012 tournament in Poland and the Ukraine but his hunger to manage well into his eighth decade remains undimmed.

"My wife does [want me to retire]," he said. "I have told her in the future that I will take a rest. But now, this is my life. It has been since I was 11 years old, when I started in this football business. I am also interested in my family, in politics and opera. But opera is only a show. Football is about a result."

The Italian also appears confident that the upcoming endgame to Ireland's qualification journey can be a successful one. "I knew that once we got the players to believe in themselves, and in us, that we would make progress," he admitted. "I know now they believe in us because they have good habits now. So when we go into the play-offs against Russia or Germany or Portugal or France or Greece, I will say to them, why won't we believe in ourselves? We have come through a tough group. I think we deserve to qualify."

Meanwhile Kevin Doyle has insisted, as his manager has, that the door has not yet closed on Stephen Ireland coming back into the national squad before the World Cup. "Is it over?" said Doyle when it was suggested that the issue had finally been put to bed following Ireland's public questioning of Trapattoni in an interview last weekend.

"I'm sure if Stephen came out tomorrow and said he wanted to come back and play, he's good enough to be welcomed back." When asked if any return for the player before the World Cup might cause some resentment in the squad, Doyle's response was straightforward. "Not from me."

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/soccer/a...-new-contract/

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Great news, I was fearful that the money wouldnt be there for this so many thanks Denis O'Brien.

Jesus,

anyway another few years of muck football, enjoy it lads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio

If we got someone else in then maybe we could get the results without the god awful drivel we play at the moment.
    Yes you are, and no we couldn't.

We got to 3 tournaments in 8 years under Jack. Who gives a stuff about how we got there?

We are getting results. It's not tv-friendly football, but it's getting us there. If Staunton was in charge today, we would probably be fighting Cyprus for 4th, and our seeding for group draws in the future. If that's what you want, then we can hire someone else to play all the Samba-football the purists want, with no end product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think the people who sit at home and watch the Irish team like its a tv show and want an entertainment so they convince their wife its better than Eastenders or Xfactor as they fight for the remote are against the contract renewal. Those that go to the games are happy that we have a manger who is organised and has huge experience and has the team playing as a team and is getting the results.
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Thats fine Neil, just to point out its 11/8 Ireland qualify with PP- how much would u lump on it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Funny, when youi compare what Doyle says there to what he is quotes as sying in today's Sunday Indo (although the text in bold is Dion Fanning's not Doyle's):

While Trapattoni insisted Stephen Ireland could return, Kevin Doyle has said he believes the debate is now closed. "I think it's over now, to be honest with you," Doyle admitted. "It's sad. He's a brilliant player. I played up front with him against Slovakia at Croke Park and he was very good.

"I think he said he didn't feel part of the squad or whatever, but you don't really know people in the squad till you've got 25 to 30 caps. I'm only really getting to know people now. It's hard to feel part of it when you are just in and out every three or four months."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not sure my personal hunch is that we will be knocked out in the playoff by the odd goal which I think is a good performance by the management team. If we get more than that I think that we will have ever so slightly have over achieved.
    In Trap we trust

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast