Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Former Harps manager convicted of assault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Former Harps manager convicted of assault

Former Harps manager convicted of assault

A former Manager and Director of Finn Harps FC convicted of an assault on a fellow board member, was described by Judge Kevin Kilrane as "an arrogant and haughty individual" at Letterkenny District Court on Thursday

Patsy McGowan of Knock, Ballybofey (71) was convicted of assaulting fellow board member Shane McConnell (28) on July 29, 2008 during a meeting of the club's directors. McGowan was fined n1,750 and ordered to pay n300 witness expenses.

McConnell of 28 Lawnsdale, Ballybofey told the court he was at a meeting of directors of Finn Harps football club when he got into an argument with Patsy McGowan.

He just punched me on the face, pulled my hair and took two big lumps of hair out, dragged me down through the tables and broke my nose. I don't know why he did it," McConnell said.

Patsy Gallagher solicitor for McGowan told Judge Kilrane there was a "half plea" from his client and a reason for the assault.
    In his statement to Garda Carr the day after the assault Shane McConnell described how he had sat between McGowan and Rodney Dullaghan at the meeting. Mr Dullaghan brought up the matter of the club's internet forum which upset McGowan.

"He said we knew F*** all about football and he called me an upstart. I had my arms crossed at the time he punched me. This assault was totally unprovoked. I have not been at a game since. Finn Harps was my life for ten years and I have given that up totally," McConnell said.

Solicitor Patsy Gallgher questioned Mr McConnell about how a 71 years old pensioner with a triple bypass had caused him this trouble.

"Did you ever hear of gilding the lily," McGowan's solicitor asked. He then asked McConnell for how long he had wanted Patsy McGowan out of Finn Harps. His client was with the club for 57 years, the court heard.
    "Growing up he was my hero," McConnell replied.

Discussion about the club's website heard McGowan's solicitor describe how unfavourable comments about his client were posted there. At this point Judge Kilrane told Mr McGowan's solicitor that if he was touching on provocation opinions on web sites were not.

"There are un-nice things being said about managers and clubs every day of the week," Judge Kilrane added.

Club secretary Alex Harkin read the minute of the incident recorded in the club's records. It read "a verbal exchange took place between parties before and after the altercation".

Patsy McGowan gave evidence to the court of abusive remarks posted on the club's website which alleged among other things that he was showing favouritism to the manager and was instrumental in the manager wasting the club's money.

"I had asked the board to take action against these people. Some of those people were sitting in the boardroom. I said that as far as I was concerned they are brainless and don't have the courage to come out and say. I said they are just out of nappies. None of my remarks were directed at Shane McConnell or Rodney Dullaghan," McGowan said.

He told the court Shane McConnell then told him to "go and f*** yourself, you old b*****d" and that he took exception to that.
    "I reacted to being called a b*****d, it is an insult to me and my parents. I am not a b*****d. Man has been defending himself for years. I have been the victim of a campaign for two and a half years with character assassination and impersonation," McGowan added.

Judge Kilrane told him that he could not use the forum of the court to "grind an axe" in that way.

McGowan then described how he punched McConnell and then held on "for grim death" once he got him on the floor because of his own "physical condition" and because he was afraid.

Judeg Kilrane said the evidence was common to both prosecution and defence.
    "I accept the evidence of the prosecution entirely. Mr McGowan is an arrogant and haughty man who believes he has God on his side. He believes the assault was justified and said so and has shown no remorse. He has had his say in the witness box which is to grind the axe with all members of the board. Everyone is against him.

"On the night in question without lawful cause he assaulted this young man in a vicious way. Why shouldn't this man go to prison? In relation to the defendant and character, he is quite a dangerous character despite his age," Judge Kilrane said.

McGowan's solicitor said his client had given four fifths of his life to the club and had one blip in 71 years.

Judge Kilrane convicted and fined McGowan n1,750 and ordered him to pay n300 in witness expenses.

http://www.donegalonsunday.com/9847/...-of.5662935.jp

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts