Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: League Cup shenanigans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    id agree that if ye dont play a full team waterford have an exelent chance but mabe your second string will take it as a chance to get into the team and everyone wants to win a medal who knows when you will get a chance again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So you check before agreeing the "deal".

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the FAI forgot until it was too late. We asked them last year before the fixtures came out to not give us a game on one specific Saturday. They could have given us a home game (Friday) or 9 of 11 away games (all Fridays), but they gave us a Saturday game. The level of idiocy in there is unreal.
    Exactly.

Still that's a few more leads for these magic beans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    get a life bohs ffs,
    6 of your away fixtures per season are no more then half an hour from dalymount. and drogheda and dundalk under an hour.
    just as well your not based in cork or waterford where the nearest fixture is 50 miles away and the furtherest 300 miles.

so ye have a 2 hour spin to derry and a 15 minute spin to tallagh.
    whinge whinge whinge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts

my opinion

very good point!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roinuj View Post
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, can I ask I ask what kind of vehicle you'd do either of those journeys in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, can I ask I ask what kind of vehicle you'd do either of those journeys in?
    We had advanced plans and designs for a Bohs catapult. Though they might have been shelved since Carroll went bust

Id like a count of how many people have missed the point of this thread. Roinuj being the latest in a long line of posters to demonstrate their complete lack of ability to understand the point being made.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Id like a count of how many people have missed the point of this thread. Roinuj being the latest in a long line of posters to demonstrate their complete lack of ability to understand the point being made.
    Genuinely, what is this point that people are missing?

That the FAI went back on some 'agreement'?

We've seen the FAI's response to this.

While people are more than willing to believe the worst of the FAI why would Bohs agree to something that they should have know required Derry's consent, without first seeking it?

I have asked for evidence of an agreement, or anything that might show the fai were entitled to make such a unilateral fixture change.

Is the entire argument predicated on what was said it the interview in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Fenlon
    We were lead to believe that if we agreed to play the game in Waterford that we wouldn't be ask to travel to Derry on Tuesday. Oddly enough the powers that be decided we had to go to Derry on Tuesday after being in Waterford on saturday. I think that's out of order.

My big concern with that is the health and safety of the players.
    When pressed on the matter he elaborates

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Fenlon
    We were told to hang on until the cup replays were sorted out. Going out of the cup we thought that might free up a date where we might have been playing in the semi final of the cup. But the powers that be having asked us to wait, and getting knocked out of the cup, they find there's not a date for the game. It baffles me, but doesn't surprise me.
    So was there a cast iron agreement? or were there, possibly, conditions?

Again it sounds remarkable similar to what was said here
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/shamroc...ws.asp?n=32916

There's the begining of a pattern here.

Yet anyone suggesting ulterior motives is castigated as missing the point. I take it the bohs fans talking about travel and 3 games in a week are also missing the point?

And yes Bohs did agree to play the game in Waterford. So could the fact that they're not kicking up a fuss about this broken 'agreement' possibly indicate ulterior motives on their part? Are they hoping for a larger crowd? Or perhaps they recieved other concessions? That rebuttal from the fai was quite precise over what assurance were not given.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Still waiting for a response from Mr Rice or from the fervent defenders of FAI as to how the League Cup Final venue was settled, if not as part of an understanding with Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    Still waiting for a response from Mr Rice or from the fervent defenders of FAI as to how the League Cup Final venue was settled, if not as part of an understanding with Bohs.
    Yes, yes, very good, Bohs agreed to play in Waterford.

Now, what exactly did they agree to?

And do you think they be interested in some magic beans?

Could you answer some of my questions now? Some have been there since saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Genuinely, what is this point that people are missing?

That the FAI went back on some 'agreement'?
    bingo. Blue Peter badge for you.

What it isnt a case of, as is being weirdly and consistently suggested by a lot of posters, is that Bohs are complaining about travelling. We are complaining about the complete horsesh!t that came out of the FAI in terms of giving us "assurances". Its not unreasonable that there is a bit of ill feeling.

But if youre (not you ANM) going to add to the thread, at least read it and be aware what it is that is being complained about, dont just bash us cos its fashionable and makes you feel like a tough guy (not you ANM).
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    http://www.examiner.ie/sport/soccer/...at-101361.html

Furious Fenlon issues EA Cup final threat

By Charlie Stuart
    Monday, September 21, 2009

ANGRY Bohemians boss Pat Fenlon may field a reserve team in next Saturday’s televised showpiece EA League Cup final against Waterford United at the RSC after his club was ordered to play their rearranged Premier Division league game against Derry City at the Brandywell on the following Tuesday.

That Derry game comes just three days before the crunch Premier Division clash with Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium and means a hectic schedule of three away games in seven days.

"We are going to have to look at this situation. Without being disrespectful to the League Cup, or to Waterford, or EA, I don’t think it’s going to be the kind of game they’re expecting, to be honest," said Fenlon.

The Bohemians boss will not be making any official protest even though he says had been given assurances that the Derry game, originally scheduled for this Friday, would not be played on Tuesday week.

"What’s the point in protesting? You’re talking to the wall, so there’s no point. It doesn’t surprise me. The problem is that you have to take into account what you’re asking players to do, and it’s dangerous.

"You’re asking players to travel to games the length and breadth of the country. The Waterford game is on a Saturday, not a Friday, and we’ve given up home advantage to go to Waterford to make a spectacle of the game.

"But what can I do? It doesn’t surprise me. It’s like moving the chairs around, you’ve still got the same people running it. It’s not going to change. Surprisingly some of the people involved have played the game so they should know better."

Fenlon will not reveal what top individual gave him an assurance that the Derry game would be moved for fear of having another fine imposed on him.

"I’m not going to say, I got a fine for talking my mind on the MNS show so I won’t give people the credence to go and fine me again.

"We haven’t got any money here so I’ll have to pay that myself but it’s very disappointing the way we’ve been treated.

"The players at this club, over the last two years in particular, have given tremendous entertainment to the fans in this league and represented the club in Europe, and to be treated the way they’ve been treated this week is scandalous."

Fenlon claims it would not be disrespectful to field an under-strength side in the EA Cup final against Waterford on Saturday. "I’m not disrespectful. I have the height of regard for Waterford United, they’re a fantastic football club. Stephen Henderson has done a fantastic job wherever he’s been and he’s a great manager and a good friend.

"I’m not being disrespectful to anyone in Waterford but I’ve got to look after what we’ve got to look after and that’s what I’ll be doing."
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    http://www.examiner.ie/sport/soccer/...at-101361.html

Fenlon will not reveal what top individual gave him an assurance that the Derry game would be moved
    Wonder who that is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    bingo. Blue Peter badge for you.

What it isnt a case of, as is being weirdly and consistently suggested by a lot of posters, is that Bohs are complaining about travelling. We are complaining about the complete horsesh!t that came out of the FAI in terms of giving us "assurances". Its not unreasonable that there is a bit of ill feeling.

But if youre (not you ANM) going to add to the thread, at least read it and be aware what it is that is being complained about, dont just bash us cos its fashionable and makes you feel like a tough guy (not you ANM).
    Ok then once again genuinely

Can the fai make such an agreement in the first place, without consulting Derry?

And let us say for the sake of argument sake they could and did. - Given one of fenlon's main gripes seems to be the H&S of his players wrt travelling and three games in a week, would the fai - who are supposed to look after everyone's interests - not be within their rights to come back and say:

Ah well now pat we'd love to accommodate you an all. But you see to do so Derry would have to play 9 games in four weeks, and we can't very well say to them - Pat is a bit worried about his players playing three games in a week - would you ever mind fitting them in there. Sure you'd only be playing 9 games in four week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts
    putting aside the fact that they should have asked Derry first (which i agree with by the way and i dont condemn Derry for looking after themselves, which is what we were trying to do for ourselves), its not a one-sided deal where we are just complaining for the sake of it - the FAI got what they wanted out of this! The consideration awarded to Bohs for accommodating their request is NIL.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    A statement of lies from the FAI A club meeting was set for the Tuesday night, a meeting would never have been set for that date had the FAI not gave Bohs assurances about the game not being on the Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    Spot on ref, let's all go to the FAI and try and get matches changed to suit us. All Bohs are being asked to do is to play a mid week game, big deal. As for Bohs supporters saying they could have had a toss of a coin, sure we all know Bohs don't have a toss of the coin, like they didn't when it came to decide what side the penalties would be taken in last years FAI cup final. Oh maybe that was another prior arrangement with the FAI.
    Derry need all the money they can get, so stop trying to be funny when you cant afford to be. Mariborkev it seems, is still the only fan that actually knows what is happening at derry.
    Last edited by Quadruple1928; 21/09/2009 at 8:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    putting aside the fact that they should have asked Derry first (which i agree with by the way and i dont condemn Derry for looking after themselves, which is what we were trying to do for ourselves), its not a one-sided deal where we are just complaining for the sake of it - the FAI got what they wanted out of this! The consideration awarded to Bohs for accommodating their request is NIL.
    So knowing the fai, and knowing (as they should have) that Derry needed to agree should Bohs have made any agreement? Or were they, possibly, blinded by thoughts of looking after themselves?

I've still got them magic beans

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    So knowing the fai, and knowing (as they should have) that Derry needed to agree should Bohs have made any agreement? Or were they, possibly, blinded by thoughts of looking after themselves?
    In all fairness, if what seems to have happened is what actually happened, don't you think Bohs have a right to feel a bit hard done by?

Whether or not Bohs should have considered if Derry had already agreed to the deal or not, and whether or not it is right for Bohs to be looking for this fixture rearrangement in the first place, and whether or not the FAI should be playing the final of a cup in the home ground of either team, Bohs were offered an agreement by the governing body, and accepted it. Then the carrot dangled in front of them was taken away.

Personally, I think the schedule that Bohs will have to play isn't all that awful, and I'm not so keen on Fenlon's comments that they agreed to play the final in Waterford to "make a spectacle of it" when that obviously isn't the case, but the (apparent) fact remains - they were offered a deal, fulfilled their part of that deal, and then had the other party renege on it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've still got them magic beans
    Jesus wept. Who the hell knows that AN Mouse. Nobody on here can answer that. Mute point anyway because:

When the governing body of the sport in the country say they will agree to a date swap in exchange for Bohs making Delaney the big man in his own town by bringing a final there, it is reasonable for Bohs to agree to this suggestion, in good faith.

Wether they knew Derry would have to agree (reasonable to assume Bohs knew this) or Derry had not been consulted yet is IMO irrelavant. I'm sure Bohs would have trusted the association to have either laid the groundwork with Derry already (maybe this was suggested by the FAI) or they were given assurances that Derry would not be a problem.

Looking at it reasonably IMO I believe they were given the nod that Derry were onside whereas in reality the association probably hadnt even spoken to anyone in the Brandywell at that point.

In hindsight it was silly of Fenlon to trust FAI with their track record but really if something like this is offered to any of our clubs in Bohs situation they all would have grabbed it. It wasn't for Bohs to second guess the association in this instance. They aparently run the sport in this country for heaven sake, so in theory should have the authority to offer this deal (wether its morally right or not).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
    Jesus wept. Who the hell knows that AN Mouse. Nobody on here can answer that. Mute point anyway because:

When the governing body of the sport in the country say they will agree to a date swap in exchange for Bohs making Delaney the big man in his own town by bringing a final there, it is reasonable for Bohs to agree to this suggestion, in good faith.

Wether they knew Derry would have to agree (reasonable to assume Bohs knew this) or Derry had not been consulted yet is IMO irrelavant. I'm sure Bohs would have trusted the association to have either laid the groundwork with Derry already (maybe this was suggested by the FAI) or they were given assurances that Derry would not be a problem.

Looking at it reasonably IMO I believe they were given the nod that Derry were onside whereas in reality the association probably hadnt even spoken to anyone in the Brandywell at that point.

In hindsight it was silly of Fenlon to trust FAI with their track record but really if something like this is offered to any of our clubs in Bohs situation they all would have grabbed it. It wasn't for Bohs to second guess the association in this instance. They aparently run the sport in this country for heaven sake, so in theory should have the authority to offer this deal (wether its morally right or not).
    So to sum up what you're saying:

Everyone knows what the fai are like, having dealt with them for years, but no one was cynical enough to say this sounds too good to be true.

I was actually starting to have a little sympathy for ordinary decent bohs fans in all this. It got me to thinking of maybes and what ifs. If only bohs had insisted on a coin toss, and won, and the the final was to be played at Dalymount. Maybe there be no moaning about travel and three games in a week.

And any notion of sympathy vanished

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roinuj View Post
    get a life bohs ffs,
    6 of your away fixtures per season are no more then half an hour from dalymount. and drogheda and dundalk under an hour.
    just as well your not based in cork or waterford where the nearest fixture is 50 miles away and the furtherest 300 miles.

whinge whinge whinge.
    grand so move the cup final on saturday to Dalymount ! given it is such a small journey

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast