Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: First leg play-off away on November 14?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First leg play-off away on November 14?

Obviously we have to actually get second place in the group, but if we do, is it likely that we may have to play out first leg away from home on November 14 as Croke Park is already hosting the Ireland v Australia autumn rugby international on Sunday 15?
    Or will they have time to get it ready and remove the buckets in Hill 16? I can't recall off the top of my head any time there was two codes at Croker in 24 hours. I doubt it would be ready in time, and the IRFU have it booked.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From IRFU web - I presume they mean mid-November instead of the end of October

"Please note that due to the possibility of an international soccer match taking place in Croke Park at the end of October, there may be seating in the Hill and Nally terraces for the Australia and South Africa games. These tickets will be sold at the standing price on the basis that there may or may not be seating in place; should the potential soccer match not take place, seating will be removed and there will be standing in these areas. There will not be any seats in the terraces for Six Nations 2010."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Interesting, thanks for asking & answering!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I have always thought that it is an advantage to play away first when the away goals rule applies so I do not think that FIFA/UEFA would give a team this advantage because they cannot provide a good enough venue, I'd guess that team would be punished rather than given the advantage, but maybe being away first isn't considered an advantage by FIFA/UEFA.

It would not be wise to play a rugby match 24 hours after a football game either, as bad pitches lead to injuries and are (obviously) harder to play on...its hard to enough to judge where a rugby ball will bounce without having to worry about divots. Anyway whats more important, a World Cup Play-off or a friendly international?
    Last edited by theworm2345; 10/09/2009 at 11:07 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Frankly, I would prefer to be at home second. And lets not kid ourselves, a bad pitch will only work in one team's favour... ours.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegalcelt View Post
    From IRFU web - I presume they mean mid-November instead of the end of October

"Please note that due to the possibility of an international soccer match taking place in Croke Park at the end of October, there may be seating in the Hill and Nally terraces for the Australia and South Africa games. These tickets will be sold at the standing price on the basis that there may or may not be seating in place; should the potential soccer match not take place, seating will be removed and there will be standing in these areas. There will not be any seats in the terraces for Six Nations 2010."
    Feck the rugger buggers with their friendlies. This is serious business here. Get 'the Goys' to play at the RDS instead.
    You've got no fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This could be the wrong thread but can Ireland be drawn against South American opposition in this play off?

If possible could someone give me a link to how the whole thing works at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcarr View Post
    This could be the wrong thread but can Ireland be drawn against South American opposition in this play off?

If possible could someone give me a link to how the whole thing works at this stage.
    No the playoffs for 2010 are between 4th place in CONCACAF and 5th place in CONMEBOL, between the top 8 second place finishers in UEFA, and the two third place AFC teams play to decide who plays the first place OFC team (Bahrain vs New Zealand).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FI..._qualification
    Last edited by theworm2345; 11/09/2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added a link I found
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Where's Iran when we need them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    we'd probably be better getting our 0-0 at home first and then getting our 1-1 away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I agree celt. the way we play trap would be happy with an away draw, our luck could seriouslly run out/kilbane could be a donkey and we lose a goal, we then need to score 2 goals. Go away knowing what we nned to do.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    One day Paul, just when you least expect it, a slither of optimism will slip in unawares and create mayhem in an already confused situation.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Where's Iran when we need them?
    Yeah unfortunately they're not in Europe, unlike Israel! ps. glad to see the cheating Israelis won't qualify though it would be a real pleasure to knock them out in the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    the big benefit of being at home second will be a bad pitch, whereas if we are at home first, the pitch will be better.

a bad pitch is much more likely to favour us over a shorter passing team....
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...