Thread: Pat Devlin discussion thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Pat Devlin discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are Bray paying him?
    I doubt it, we have a General Manager already who runs the club day to day so I'm not sure what role he is going to fill, possibly just figure head although I'm not sure for what.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I bet the guy at UCD wont benefit personally from transfers, but having an agent like Devlin in the role leaves it open to that sort of thing.I dont know if he will get paid by Bray .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't even know why they'd want him back, a few brief highlights in an overly long and mediocore to poor tenure as manager.[/QUOTE]

Look I'm not here to defend Pat Devlin but that statement is a load of rubbish. Bray have always been and will always be a small club - 2 FAI Cups and a and a couple of Frist Division Titles along the way is not just 'a few brief highlights'. It's basically the Honours List for the club.
    Just be careful with your ill informed opinions - Cork City are hardly the perfect template for a League of Ireland club. And no I don't see the relevance of a Director of Football be it Pat Devlin or Pele - surely that's the Managers job?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    For Every 1st Division Title you won he had to get you relegated the previous year.

Nice dig on Cork City though makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by tiktok; 10/09/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJTheGull View Post
    Don't even know why they'd want him back, a few brief highlights in an overly long and mediocore to poor tenure as manager.

Look I'm not here to defend Pat Devlin but that statement is a load of rubbish. Bray have always been and will always be a small club - 2 FAI Cups and a and a couple of Frist Division Titles along the way is not just 'a few brief highlights'. It's basically the Honours List for the club.
    Just be careful with your ill informed opinions - Cork City are hardly the perfect template for a League of Ireland club. And no I don't see the relevance of a Director of Football be it Pat Devlin or Pele - surely that's the Managers job?
    Hmm, test for the new mod rules right there.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Indeed. CTTheGull - take note. Don't dismiss someone's post on the basis of the club they support again please. (Not going to delete the post as the rest of it made some valid points)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    I cant see Devo parting with any of his own cash and he has always struck me as a guy very much interested in selling anybody with an ounce of tallant to the highest bidder abroad
    Devo has put a serious amount of money in Bray over the years, infact he never even took a wage for a long time when he was manager with us before, no expenses either. it was all FOC.

I know people have issues with Devo put he is a LOI man through and through and more importantly he is a Bray man through and through so i think it is a good thing for him to be back at the club and he will help Gormley a lot.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrayUnknowns View Post
    Devo has put a serious amount of money in Bray over the years, infact he never even took a wage for a long time when he was manager with us before, no expenses either. it was all FOC.
    How much ?ball park figure will do and what did it go on? I know he has good contacts in England and could also attract investment and arrange money spinning friendlies for your club but I dont think agents should be placed in such roles .This is not an anti Devlin thread and he could do all that good work without being director of football anyway.
    Id love to hear from St Pats fans on the role Kerr played.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    How much ?ball park figure will do and what did it go on? I know he has good contacts in England and could also attract investment and arrange money spinning friendlies for your club but I dont think agents should be placed in such roles .This is not an anti Devlin thread and he could do all that good work without being director of football anyway.
    Id love to hear from St Pats fans on the role Kerr played.
    Over the years Devo has put at least 500k plus into Bray Wanderers, that is a lot of money in anyones books. He is a good man to know and will benefit the club yet again, well that's just my opnion anyway.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    That is a lot of money for sure and no doubt Bray will benefit from his involvement on many fronts ,cheers.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    This is not an anti Devlin thread and he could do all that good work without being director of football anyway.
    Flip side of that is that if he's going to do all that work anyway, what harm in calling him director of football? Doesn't necessarily mean anything; certainly can't imagine it being similar to the position on the continent.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Flip side of that is that if he's going to do all that work anyway, what harm in calling him director of football? Doesn't necessarily mean anything; certainly can't imagine it being similar to the position on the continent.
    fair point but if the next Damien Duff comes out of Bray and Devo doubles his personal wealth by representing him we could have a different discussion alltogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrayUnknowns View Post
    Over the years Devo has put at least 500k plus into Bray Wanderers, that is a lot of money in anyones books. He is a good man to know and will benefit the club yet again, well that's just my opnion anyway.
    I dont think anyone here is doubting Devo's commitment to bray or the LOI the question was around his role as Director of Football. the big difficulty with such a role is around the relationship with the 1st team manager and whether they can work together when required.
    Limitartions and boundarys are important (especially with two strong personalities) and if these are clear then the concept can work but if they are unclear then it is a recipe for disaster that can impact on every aspect of the club.
    Lucky then that Devo and Eddie are both shy retiring characters

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    fair point but if the next Damien Duff comes out of Bray and Devo doubles his personal wealth by representing him we could have a different discussion alltogether.
    If Pat Devlin was instumental in finding/developing the next Damien Duff, who made a contribution to the Bray first team, and then attracted a decent fee into Bray coffers, did you really think that Bray would regret the appointment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If Pat Devlin was instumental in finding/developing the next Damien Duff, who made a contribution to the Bray first team, and then attracted a decent fee into Bray coffers, did you really think that Bray would regret the appointment?
    How dare he?!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    No and if thats what his role will be im sure he will be very good at it.His coaching ability is being over played by some of you and his eagerness to sell underplayed.For every Duff there are many Zaid s, and others who get sent away at too early an age never to be heard of again IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    No and if thats what his role will be im sure he will be very good at it.His coaching ability is being over played by some of you and his eagerness to sell underplayed.For every Duff there are many Zaid s, and others who get sent away at too early an age never to be heard of again IMO.
    Must agree with the above, Bray always had a huge turn over in young players (probobly higher than any other LOI club) and while you can argue that it gives more young players a chance it also limits that chance for all (one bad game and you are out etc).