Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England. The hype begins....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts

England. The hype begins....

England are going to win the World Cup according to the press this morning over here. It was a good result last night but they said the same thing after beating Germany away by the same scoreline back in 2001 and look what happened at the World Cup 9 months later.

Do England have the players to win the World Cup? Average Gk, dodgy right back and Heskey up top for starters. Spain gave them the run around a few months back and I can see the same thing happening again as soon as they meet a top side.

Anybody out there actually fancy their chances next year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I still don't fancy their chances they eased out of a easy group where the strongest side they could face where missing some key players Modric through injury and Niko Kovac who retired.
    When they faced some of Europe's top sides they were played off the park by Spain a few months back and where beaten by a poor French side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I really don't think friendlies are a good indicator of how teams do. They have a perfect qualifying record and competitive games are really all there is to go on. Capello has done a good job so far and I don't think people should dismiss them, or build them up, until the WC is actually underway.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Letter to FIFA:

PLEASE SWOP ARGENTINA FOR ENGLAND FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME AND EVERYONE ELSE

A good competition is "Who will be the scapegoat this time when England fail?"

I'd say Capello, he's a foreigner at the helm so as soon as they screw up, the Engerrrrlish will be all over him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    They have a perfect qualifying record and competitive games are really all there is to go on. Capello has done a good job so far and I don't think people should dismiss them, or build them up, until the WC is actually underway.
    Indeed. Credit where it's due they've ripped through their group. An amount depends on who they draw and sadly an amount depends on how mischievious the apology for a press that trails after them gets as well. They usually manage some grand exposé or other on the eve of a big tournament.

Form in the qualifiers may not readily translate to a four week tournament in SA either. Aside from the examples of the likes of Norway who only dropped 4 points in qualifying for USA 94 and then did little enough when they got there, I've long thought England would do better if the WC were played out over the same time span as a Champions League.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    If you don't like it don't listen to it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Might sound silly but the fact that it will be winter in SA in June may actually help England. Its fractions that win end of tournament games usually and a good wet windy day Engalnd v Brazil, might just suit England!

On a serious note though, they have been very solid in qualifying, scoring plenty of goals too. Barring a couple of injuries you would have to rate them as solid contenders.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    a good wet windy day Engalnd v Brazil, might just suit England!
    I take it you missed the Brazil Chile match last night then. On and off downpour throughout the match.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    I take it you missed the Brazil Chile match last night then. On and off downpour throughout the match.
    Thats warm rain.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I really dont know what the problem is.........England have a good honest chance of winning............shouldnt we be happy if they had a chance of winning??!!
    (because we just never hype things in ireland at all!!!)

i would rather have England win than italy or germany thats for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    i really dont know what the problem is.........england have a good honest chance of winning............shouldnt we be happy if they had a chance of winning??!!
    (because we just never hype things in ireland at all!!!)

i would rather have england win than italy or germany thats for sure
    italia! Italia!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    I think they've made a decent leap forward while many other fancied teams have gone backwards and may not even qualify. They have matchwinners in Rooney, Gerrard & Lampard, proven at the highest level.

I used to always write them off, but as Kissinger said, as the facts change, I change my mind. I think they're in with a shout this time. 3rd or 4th favouraites at this time - though they nearly always look good at this time of the year (sorry for the Stan-ism).

I have a suspicion that usual failings like ball retention & lack of a tournament winning keeper will be their downfall again, and although Endabob1 says that SA will be warm next June/July, Patrick Barclay wrote a piece in The Times recently saying how the temeprate climate in SA at that time of the year will give England a better chance than in warmer venues.

Spain & Brazil are the 2 best teams by a mile, but they may face each other and England may only need to beat one of them. Netherlands don't convince me at all, despite a perfect campaign.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I think the current English set-up is the best they had in a long time, but as for them winning the World cup sure they reckon that every time. I'd say semi final defeat for them
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    they're class but if all the teams were at their best then I think they'd be knocked out in semis.

as has been said turn it off if you dont want to hear it. i can't imagine what english fans would think if they heard eamonn 'we have better players than inter' dunphy punditry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    If you don't like it don't listen to it
    what am I supposed to do? Stop reading the papers over here and give up on Sky Sports News for 9 months? It's impossible to avoid the mass hysteria that is associated with the English football team. I wasn't complaining. I just think it's funny that there is no middle ground when it comes to English sport journalism. It's either doom and gloom or euphoria.

I was only putting a question out there as to whether fellow foot.ie posters think England have a chance next summer.
    Last edited by shakermaker1982; 11/09/2009 at 6:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    I'm having recurring nightmares where England win the Word Cup. Capello's an excellent manager. He's used the friendlies to experiment with monir changes and implemented them in the qualifiers. Qualifying with a 100% record is nothing to be laughed at.
    They'll probably be third favourite behind Brazil and Spain, but those are the only two teams I think that could beat them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Netherlands don't convince me at all, despite a perfect campaign.
    Plus they've a long and distinguished history of imploding at international tournaments
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    what am I supposed to do? Stop reading the papers over here and give up on Sky Sports News for 9 months? It's impossible to avoid the mass hysteria that is associated with the English football team. I wasn't complaining. I just think it's funny that there is no middle ground when it comes to English sport journalism. It's either doom and gloom or euphoria.

I was only putting a question out there as to whether fellow foot.ie posters think England have a chance next summer.
    It's the same in other countries like Italy and Spain though , hardly something unique to England

It's the same here on a different level , Lots of people are talking about the World Cup next year and about what will happen to us in the play offs

As to whether they have a chance , I think they've a very good chance to be fair , Can only see Brazil and Spain that would be in my book better than them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    England are the international Liverpool... every 4 years its their year.
    Good evening!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Theirs isn't the best quality group but anyone who tears through it the way they have deserves respect- it's difficult to keep consistancy in internationals because of the way they're spread out and to have won 8 in a row so far entitles them to confidence about SA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Considering England's two least favourite teams (Argentina and Portugal) may not make the Finals, they should be looking for at least a semi-final place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast