was going to go with Best but then he is British after all

Where's Pat O'Callaghan on the list?

Michelle Smith's an interesting one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I love the Gaelic Football options.

Get all the dubs to vote for Heffo and then split the rest of the country across three Kerrymen [we're claiming Jacko] far more deserving to dilute their vote. What an obvious way to try and rig the vote.

Duxie Walsh must be rueing the day he started playing handball instead of a sport people gave a toss about. 13 titles in a row. Angela Downey the same, 12 All-Irelands.

Fair play to Michelle DeBruin for getting on the list though, she must have some contacts in the media or something.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Where's Pat O'Callaghan on the list?

Michelle Smith's an interesting one...
    Im nearly sure he had a British passport, please correct me if Im wrong!

yeah but then what about Kelly and Roche

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I'd probably go with AP McCoy, how is Michelle Smith on that list?
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    No Liam Brady? Shocking.

Went for DJ Carey in the end.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'd have it down to Delaney, McGuigan and Keane. The different ways in which the three succeeded is what makes it hard to decide. Delaney beat probably the toughest field, certainly the deepest in terms of talent level, ever assembled in an Olympic final but there is the one-off factor of that which raises a question. McGuigan wasn't a champion for very long but the calibre of opponents he beat on the road to the title and indeed in winning it is what puts him up there. Keane on the other hand was consistent for longer but to my mind didn't have the signature moment of total domination (I'm sure others would disagree) on the same level as Delaney and McGuigan.

Like pineapple I find it shocking that Pat O'Callaghan isn't in there. Only Irish person to win golds at two separate Olympics should have made that list.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Delaney's career involved more than winning Olympic gold. He was unbeaten in US races for years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The problem is in the location. He mostly ran in the US but the real challengers were always based in Europe (it was where most of the Antipodean runners also ran). He's still probably going to get my vote but it's really a tough call.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Harrington's 3 majors gets it for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    While 3 majors is an amazing feat, I think there are better figures in the golfing world that I'd put before PH, Christy O Connor Snr has done far more for the game in Ireland and is counted among the greatest to have played the game.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Why the hell is Mick O Dwyer there?

Great footballer, but a nominee for sportsman of all time? Come off it.

Michelle Smith too.

Went for McGrath in the end, was torn between him, Giles and Harrington.
    You've got no fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    McGrath for me, slightly ahead of Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Off the list, it should be Kelly - most dominant cyclist in the world in his prime, and pro cycling is possibly the toughest endurance sport.

Surprised no Pat O'Callaghan, and tiktok was bang on the mark with Duxie Walsh and Angela Downey. I am sure that there are many others like them overlooked. It is essentially a list of post WWII mainstream male sports, with a few token choices to suggest it is an All-Ireland thing.

And when did training horses make you a sports star? If that is allowed, then Master McGrath should be in there too!
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Has to be Stephen Roche, Tour, Giro & World Champion in one year, only matched by Eddy Merckx arguably the greatest ever cyclist.
    Honourable mentions for Harrington’s 3 majors (hopefully with more to come) despite C.O'C Snr’s achievements Harry is the top of the tree for Irish Golfers.
    Michelle Smith's inclusion is obviously controversial but she has never had to hand her medals back so the 3 gold’s & a bronze still technically make her Irelands most successful Olympian ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I can't believe Kevin Moran isn't even on that list. Won All-Ireland medal for Dublin, then many years playing at top level football before going on to play in Euro 88 and Italia 90 for Ireland. Top class.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Voted for Keane, but its an impossible thing to measure. Youve got different eras, team vs individual sports and the GAA pplayers can be judged on a world stage.

On Michelle Smith, I absolutely agree with her being there. 3 gold medals is a stunning achievement. She was probably on drugs at the time but then I suspect others were too. Also if we start retrospectively erasing peope who took drugs we are going to have questions about some major sport stars including most sprinters from the last 40 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    ...its an impossible thing to measure. Youve got different eras, team vs individual sports and the GAA pplayers can be judged on a world stage...
    By this thinking, is it too late to petition for Pat Spillane? The man who melted in the heat of Superstars! I cannot recall, but for some reason I think he won it - did he?
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    He won Irish Superstars, but then took all four events on the same day in Barbados or something, and didn't win the international version.

A quote from the Gospel according to Reeling in the Years.

Edit - World Superstars winners on wiki.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    The only real contenders for this title are;

George Best,
    Roy Keane,
    Joey Dunlop,
    Brian O'Driscoll,
    Padraig Harrington,
    Tony McCoy,
    Sean Kelly,
    and Stephen Roche.

I don't believe that any GAA figure should be in any real contention for this, the sport is amateur and has no presence outside of Ireland. If one did indeed win it, I would find it very embarrassing.

* Vincent O'Brien and Aidan O'Brien, whilst towering figures in their sport,(the former in particular), are not 'sportsmen', in the proper sense.

For me, whilst I took immense pleasure and pride in Kelly's and Roche's achievements back in their heyday, cycling is now a tainted sport. This would rule them out - sorry lads!

Padraig Harrington's achievements in recent years have been great - a real credit to him. However, and I hate to qualify his successes somewhat, he is not the best at what he does and golf does lack the physical dimension. Sorry Padraig!

I think Joey Dunlop and Tony McCoy can be treated somewhat similiarly here. Both compete in dangerous sports, Dunlop more so and fatally so.
    Both their successes in their respective sports are simply immense. If I had to choose one I would go for Dunlop. His career, and it's longevity,
    was staggering in a sport where death is a constant threat. Sadly Dunlop died racing as did his younger brother in the last year. RIP.
    The fact that motorcycle TT racing is somewhat of a niche sport would rule him out - Sorry Joey! (I feel guilty)
    In McCoy's case, despite his success, I just feel that a jockey shouldn't be in contention for this. Sorry Tony!
    Crucially, in each case, both men represent the pinnacle of their chosen sport - this is a very important factor.

Brian O'Driscoll - I would have to say that BOD is the best Irish sportsperson I have seen in my lifetime (born. 1980). At his peak, he was the best rugby player in the world. He would have walked on to any side (still could) and I believe that he will be regarded as one of the greatest rugby players of all time. A genius. A warrior. A legend.
    The only thing that goes against him is that Rugby, whilst continually growing as sport, does not really have a global reach/aspect. Although for me, in this instance, given the exceptional nature of the player, this is a minor quibble.

Roy Keane, where do I start - the greatest and most succesful captain in Manchester United's history and in the history of the Premier league. A fearsome competitor and leader of men. He is certainly the most controversial Irish sportsman of all time, a man who did 'divide the nation' for a time. The Saipan issue would not be any kind of bar for me. I believe that it was ultimately the best thing to have happened to Irish sport in general. It was the moment when the Irish 'give it a lash' mentality began to die. Despite all his success and all his achievements, the only thing that goes against him is that he was not technically the best footballer of his time. If achievement is the number one criteria for this award then he would probably deserve to win, if not.....
    A hard one to call, but what we can say is that he rose to the pinnacle of what is the one, true WORLD sport.

George Best. If I was forced to choose, I would probably go for George. Why? - simply because he was the BEST. He brought a level of grace, skill and beauty to football that has scarcely been equalled. He entertained and marvelled in equal measure. He made the beautiful game, beautiful. It is because of people like George that I love the sport. To be regarded as one the greatest practitioners of the one, truly global sport is simply a phenomenal achievement. His only fault as a player was that he didn't have the ability, unlike Maradona or Pele, to make the rest of the team an 'extension of his will.' He didn't orchestrate the team in other words, but has any other player brought as much singular joy to the game and it's followers........probably not! As they say 'up North' - Maradona good, Pele better, George BEST!
    (Oh and he's Irish, not British)
    Last edited by The Fly; 15/09/2009 at 12:04 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast