Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: dublin city marathon for charity

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

dublin city marathon for charity

lads,just putting out a feeler on this one.

just wondering if anybody would be interested in running/walking
    the marathon for charity.its something i know im always saying ill do it next year but i never get round to doing it.

i try to keep as fit as i can.i have never done the marathon before,but i go for jogs a couple of times a week and play the occasional game of ball.i eat and drink like a fish so im no keep fit" head the ball"(lamb rogan josh and cans of san miguel=heaven)

as i said i havnt made up my mind 100% to do it yet.but i think with a little encouragement i would commit to doing it.we could donate to our own charities or agree to split between a couple
    of childrens hospitals whatever.

i think it would be a bit of crack on the day as we could meet somewhere near the start just to say hello. for a laugh we could get t shirts made with foot.ie and our nicknames on them.

i think its normally in october so we would have some time to get in some kind of shape.it wont turn into a major social thing,just say hello to your fellow joggers/walkers and then the fit guys will just take off and the slower people(me) will do it in our own time.

i dont want to be the hero or anything like it lads,and as i said i want to do it before i physically cant.(i have to get a move on)and if by doing it we can help sick kids or whatever i think it would be worth it.
    if you could indicate any interest i would be grateful./p.s (apologies if this has been done already ,or has been suggested before)
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 23/04/2004 at 3:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    strange this came up.

I was thinking something similar. A mate's been going on about doing the marathon this year (plaguing me to be honest) and i was thinking it'd be good to do it for charity.

plus i'm having a one third of a life crisis (turning 30 this year) and it's something i'd like to do.

then i saw the training schedule, three to four miles per night, with a longer run on the weekends, building up to really long weekend runs. daunting for someone who sees running as something you only do to catch a bus.

the sight of a bunch of Foot.ie/EL/Irish fans in football shirts doing the run would be quite a sight. I reckon it could be done, especially for charity.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok

the sight of a bunch of Foot.ie/EL/Irish fans in football shirts doing the run would be quite a sight. I reckon it could be done, especially for charity.
    If we did a mile each maybe

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    i have seen those running schedules my self and i would not have that kind of free time or energy to get that serious about it.

what i mean is maybe on the day, jog for a mile or two, then walk, then jog, then crawl.obviously there would have to be some preparation,as in you would have to go for some runs to build up to it,but i think if you were not to be too ambititious(on your finishing time) you could finish the distance.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 18/02/2004 at 8:06 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    the sight of a bunch of Foot.ie/EL/Irish fans in football shirts doing the run would be quite a sight.
    Understatement of the year!?! Getting pains in my chest just thinking about it!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    If we did a mile each maybe
    maybe if thats all people can manage we could do a relay kind of thing (pass a baton or something)

at this stage,mad as it may seem,i would like to have a bash at doing the whole shebang