Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Miller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Miller was dropped in quite a few of the cL matches Celtic played this year, poor form from Celtic I thought, he'd clearly warrented his place in the side every week and that could have gone some way to píssing him off enough for him to want to leave even more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Not at all Slash. For every Anderlecht he played in, Miller had at least three Bayern and Dunfermline-type games in which he was anonymous, possessed little or no hunger and was generally irrelevant. Anyone who's seen more than half of Celtic's games this year will tell you the same. The boy has undisputed talent, but talent alone sometimes isn't enough. Martin O'Neill had his reasons for not picking Miller, and I dare say his attitude numbers among them. The manner in which his move was expedited seems to bear this one out.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    So he actually wasn't any good? So WTF the problem with him leaving?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
    Aargh! Too many exclamation marks!

I'm a regular at CP, so I know what I see. Believe me, Miller has been getting regular enough football this season. Twenty nine games (with about half as substitute) is no bad return for a man who's only just broken through into the first team picture. He can have no complaints about that.

I hope he plays one last time at Celtic before he goes, so we can all tell him just how much we love him.

He's already at one of the biggest clubs in Europe!

I don't question his ambition, and I'd certainly never hammer him over that. All I criticise is his conduct throughout the transfer. Players come and players go, and we as fans expect that. What we don't expect is to be taken for a ride in such a fashion by someone that also claims to be a fan. So **** him.

When (if ever) he wears the green I'll support him as a member of my team, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. I don't.

PP

suppose its his fault he got injured.

there are many better clubs than celtic... maybe the weather got to him
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Originally posted by Macy
    So he actually wasn't any good? So WTF the problem with him leaving?
    Jeez Macy, I'm just glad I'm not facing you in a court of law. You'd run rings around me.

Allow me to summarise:

1. Liam Miller is the best prospect Celtic have produced in years. Since Paul McStay in the early 1980s, in fact.

2. He broke into the first team this season and has shown flashes of undoubted brilliance, notably in the CL game against Anderlecht.

3. He has yet to deliver that form consistently, which is why he wasn't an automatic choice for the first team. We all saw enough, however, to know that he had everything necessary to establish himself in the first team for years to come.

4. A new contract was offered to him last August. The fact that he did not sign then was reported at the time as being due to the fact that his agent was on holiday.

5. In December, he was quoted as saying that he'd been a Celtic fan since boyhood and that he couldn't see himself playing anywhere else. A better contract than the one offered in August, reflecting the contribution he'd made since then and was likely to make in the future, was duly placed in front of him.

6. In January, he signed a PCA with ManUre and was heard at the press conference to say that he "supported two clubs". Meaning that point 5 was obviously in its entirety a load of b****cks and he'd lied to the fans.

Now, wouldn't you be just a wee bit ****ed off if your team's starlet did this to your club and, by extension, you as a fan?

I've tried to be unequivocal in my reasoning here, but you don't seem willing or able to understand my anger with the player and the situation. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Originally posted by Dricky
    maybe the weather got to him
    Now that I can understand! It rains more in Manchester than in Glasgow, but at least it's a good deal warmer...

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 11/02/2004 at 9:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    4. A new contract was offered to him last August. The fact that he did not sign then was reported at the time as being due to the fact that his agent was on holiday.
    PP,

wasn't this just a one-year contract extension though. much was made of the deal Celtic were negotiating when he signed for united, but the latter showed more committment to him long term, the lad was just looking after his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I believe you're right about the August offer, but the December one was certainly more substantive. I understand and sympathise with your point about him wanting to better his career. Who wouldn't, after all? It's just his recent actions and the manner of his departure that leave a sour taste. In claiming to be a Celtic fan, he crossed the line in terms of expected behaviour. That's why he's now regarded with such contempt at CP.

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Guys he was on £800 per week. If you believe rumours Longford Town are paying more than that now for decent players.

He only got a decent offer when Man United started sniffing around.

He would have been mad to turn down Man Utd and STG£25K per week.

From an Irish perspective I'd certainly like to see him playing first team football on a regular basis - great if that is Manyoo but I think that will be difficult so maybe a year at a smaller club would be better but you can't blame the guy for signing.

I don't care about Celtic or Man Utd but I do care about our best prospects playing at the highest level possible on a regular basis.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by gspain
    [B]If you believe rumours Longford Town are paying more than that now for decent players.
    clarify that in the LTFC forum.... cheers...
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by gspain
    Guys he was on £800 per week. If you believe rumours Longford Town are paying more than that now for decent players.
    Spill what you know, as Xlex says on the Town forum...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Jeez Macy, I'm just glad I'm not facing you in a court of law. You'd run rings around me.

Allow me to summarise:

1. Liam Miller is the best prospect Celtic have produced in years. Since Paul McStay in the early 1980s, in fact.

2. He broke into the first team this season and has shown flashes of undoubted brilliance, notably in the CL game against Anderlecht.

3. He has yet to deliver that form consistently, which is why he wasn't an automatic choice for the first team. We all saw enough, however, to know that he had everything necessary to establish himself in the first team for years to come.

5. In December, he was quoted as saying that he'd been a Celtic fan since boyhood and that he couldn't see himself playing anywhere else. A better contract than the one offered in August, reflecting the contribution he'd made since then and was likely to make in the future, was duly placed in front of him.

6. In January, he signed a PCA with ManUre and was heard at the press conference to say that he "supported two clubs". Meaning that point 5 was obviously in its entirety a load of b****cks and he'd lied to the fans.

Now, wouldn't you be just a wee bit ****ed off if your team's starlet did this to your club and, by extension, you as a fan?

I've tried to be unequivocal in my reasoning here, but you don't seem willing or able to understand my anger with the player and the situation. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Now that I can understand! It rains more in Manchester than in Glasgow, but at least it's a good deal warmer...

PP
    Perfect Analysis of the situation PP. I'm also a regular at Celtic Park, Miller was the one youngster who really looked like he could make the grade, Irish too, a perfect scenario. Some superb games and some games where he was non existent. But you felt he would be a star in time.

Celtic I feel were neglectful in not realising his talent & offering him a contract that reflected this, well in advance of the Anderlecht game. After this, he had been brought to the attention of everyone and obvioulsy other clubs can offer far better terms than Celtic.

While now I hope he continues to flourish into a great player for Irelands sake, I am gutted that it is not with Celtic and feel betrayed by Millers lies to the fans and the contempt he has shown us - he took us for a ride. lets hope it was worth it.

Jnr
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Junior
    betrayed by Millers lies to the fans and the contempt he has shown us - he took us for a ride. lets hope it was worth it.
    What about the tight Celtic board who didn't realise his worth early enough.

Celtic are finished when Larsson and MON leave. Rangers are on the downward spiral, Celtic will soon be to... the season tickets and the lack of real competition will result in a Norwegian type feeder league.

and who really refers to Parkhead as Celtic Park...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    What about the tight Celtic board who didn't realise his worth early enough.

I think I commented on Celtics neglect and in part they are to blame for Miller leaving - read the post.

Celtic are finished when Larsson and MON leave. Rangers are on the downward spiral, Celtic will soon be to... the season tickets and the lack of real competition will result in a Norwegian type feeder league.

Celtic are massive, you obviously have a no concept of this. I don't want to turn this into a Celtic thread, its about Liam Miller. One player or manager will never make our team and so if/when Larsson, MON leave, Celtic will continue on as we the fans are the club and we are going nowhere.

and who really refers to Parkhead as Celtic Park...

Well I do, thousands of other Celtic fans do and believe it or not that is what our ground is actually called - funny that

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    What Junior said. All of it.

PP

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by Junior
    Celtic are massive, you obviously have a no concept of this.
    Celtic are small time compared to the likes of Manchester United - they can't compete with the European Elite they claim to be part of..... Team full of rejects, bar Larsson who obviously wanted to be a big fish in a small pond...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Hey Junior, this one's best left alone. Crowds of 60k week in, week out and a European final last season obviously aren't enough for some, as they'll always find something to pick at. Admit it; we've been outflanked by the boys from Flancare. All hail the Longford Mafia...

PP

only1kilbane
    Crowds dont make you a massive club otherwise we would all consider newcastle a big club rather than an average wannabe !

as far the uefa cup come on its hardly worth much these days !

they showed there true quality against lyon away ! bobo the clown was at his best !!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you're fúckin hilarious... Compare CFC with MUFC and then LTFC with CFC... truth is that CFC lie somewhere in the 2nd quarter percentile.

What percentage of the 60,000 seats in Parkhead are the cheapest seasons tickets in the British Isles? What percentage of the 60,000 season tickets were 10 year tickets to build Parkhead... and what percentage of those season tickets will be renewed next year....

just to keep it on topic, Celtic fans can't believe an Irishman left Celtic to join a far superior club like MUFC. They chose to ignore the fact that the financial restraints of the SPL forced Celtic PLC to wait on an offer of a decent contract to a fantastic prospect...
    Money walks in this game and Liam Miller smelt what was only available to him because of those tight laddies...
    Last edited by Xlex; 11/02/2004 at 11:48 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Originally posted by only1kilbane
    Crowds dont make you a massive club otherwise we would all consider newcastle a big club rather than an average wannabe !
    Fans are a club, without them the club will cease to exist. A fairly simple fact, Im surprised on a fans forum that you don't understand this add to this, history, tradition, success, stadium etc... and you begin to see what makes a club massive. Are we as big as Real or Man U - no and who else is, but are we massive - yes.

as far the uefa cup come on its hardly worth much these days !
    Is it the Champions League? No and of course that is where the crem de la crem want to be, but it is the next best thing and I'm sure our run last season has improved our chances of continuing to make an impact in Europe in the forthcoming seasons

they showed there true quality against lyon away ! bobo the clown was at his best !!
    or perhaps Lyon at home?? (or did you forget that one) didn't man u get beat by Wolves recently, they must be a small club

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex
    What percentage of the 60,000 seats in Parkhead are the cheapest seasons tickets in the British Isles? What percentage of the 60,000 season tickets were 10 year tickets to build Parkhead... and what percentage of those season tickets will be renewed next year....
    Q What percentage of this point do I not understand?
    A 100%

Originally posted by Xlex

just to keep it on topic, Celtic fans can't believe an Irishman left Celtic to join a far superior club like MUFC. They chose to ignore the fact that the financial restraints of the SPL forced Celtic PLC to wait on an offer of a decent contract to a fantastic prospect...
    Money walks in this game and Liam Miller smelt what was only available to him because of those tight laddies...
    I disagree, Man U are a bigger club and offered him a huge contract and I don't dispute that. I'm cheesed off because
    a) I think in the short term at least his football career would have been better served at Celtic
    b) he has turned out to be a 'badge kisser'. No doubt, if Real Madrid come in for him ' he'll have only ever supported 3 teams blah blah....'
    c) Celtic have lost out on a great Irish prospect - gutted

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast