Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Wolves and Opposition Irish

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Irish Wolves and Opposition Irish

Alright Chaps, saw that there was a few references to Doyle and Hunt and thought I'd condense opinions on yesterdays Irish players into one (Not sure, if this should have gone in Irish Abroad).

Wolves

Doyler - Absolute class. His movement and instant control were a joy to see and probably unseen down here since Robbie left. His continuous runs down the channels looking to pick holes in Hull's defence were a constant threat and his strength in holding up the ball worked well. Nothing that we don't know after his sterling performances for Ireland, however think that the rest of the footballing world will gradually wake up to this and wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually viewed as one of the buys of the summer. Unlucky to have a shot cleared off the line and a couple of communication breakdowns with Keogh, but am sure that this will come with time. Can't wait to see him link up with SEB - despite his prolific goals tally, still see him as a partnering striker due to his ability to create space and his all-round build up play - seriously think that partnership is as potentially as good as anything outside the top eight. No signs of injury or tiredness and should be bang on for Saturday.

Keogh - Good movement and braver in the challenge than in previous years. Had a couple of chances which he was unlucky with - however, we cannot afford to continually rue missed chances (the frustrating & worrying part of his game), so the clinical goalscoring side of his game will need to come if he is to keep his place up front. Still looks like he can easily cope at this level.

Ward/Foley - Out Injured - on yesterdays showing will be straight back in when fit.

Hull

Hunt - Played quality and had many fans questioning why we didn't go in for him. Always running and switching wings - didn't get too much of the ball as we were generally on top, however when he did his delivery was quality, including the inch perfect looping cross for their goal (although he should have been closed down). His corners were also an accurate threat - a good season could give us a bit more competition for the left wing.

Kilbane - Didn't even realise he was playing until 70 minutes in, so couldn't really tell you in all honesty. Playing in centre midfield and in consideration of the fact that we were all over them for large parts of the game after their early goal, wouldn't say that he played that well.
    Last edited by Manc Irish Wolf; 30/08/2009 at 2:43 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Thanks for that Manc. Doyle looks a good buy. I noticed a few posters on the wolves messageboards questioning whether he was worth over 6 million when wolves initially put a bid in for him. Maybe now they'll realise that could be a very good bit of business on McCarthy's part.

Hopefully he'll grab a goal in the next game and then people outside Ireland might really start to take notice.
    Last edited by youngirish; 30/08/2009 at 3:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Doyle has got a good write up in most of today's papers and it's good to hear he is coming into form before the crunch game against Cyprus.

I don't know why Brown is playing Kilbane in the centre of midfield. Games just pass him by.

What did you think of Folan? The Hull fan who reviewed the game in the Observer only gave him a 4. Harsh?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Doyle has got a good write up in most of today's papers and it's good to hear he is coming into form before the crunch game against Cyprus.

I don't know why Brown is playing Kilbane in the centre of midfield. Games just pass him by.

What did you think of Folan? The Hull fan who reviewed the game in the Observer only gave him a 4. Harsh?
    Didn't even realise he was playing. To be fair, I think their goal was about their only effort on goal, as it was more of a midfield battle, so he didn't get much service. I'll pay a bit more attention to the opposition teamsheet next time rather than milking the most out of the pre-match festivities.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Slightly off topic but you need to be beating the likes of Hull if you want to stay up.

Good news on Doyle. We'll need him for the upcoming game(s). Hope he stays fit.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/0...ye-young-star/

Not the most informative article in the world but Deegan linked again never-the-less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Deegan will be a huge success when he leaves Ireland. I would wager that he will become an Irish international.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I rate him highly but always hard to tell how someone will do when they leave home etc. More to football than ability.
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Deegan will be a huge success when he leaves Ireland. I would wager that he will become an Irish international.
    Id agree with that, very good player
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Who would you compare Deegan to? I only watched a couple of the European games, but I thought he was in the mould of a Darren Fletcher...a real athlete who could run forever and has decent quality on the ball.

I'll place the disclaimer on this that I've been drinking and only seen the guy place twice on ****ty web-streams.

I eagerly await a Dunphyesque reply: "he's a fullback, IF86!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    tough tackling and driving runs from midfield, decent shot, good goal scorer and strong as an ox. Honestly, he reminds me of Roy Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    tough tackling and driving runs from midfield, decent shot, good goal scorer and strong as an ox. Honestly, he reminds me of Roy Keane.
    OhOh, hope you haven't cursed him now!
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 13/09/2009 at 3:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I think the Darren Fletcher comparison is fair. Not as tall or gangly as fletcher though
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Appears that McCarthy has been casting the net across the Irish sea again.

Anyone know much about this lad? Aaron McCarey from Monaghan - must be good if he's keeping in nets for the first team at 17?

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,...807944,00.html

Wolves vs Sunderland on Sky on Sunday with a few Irish players on show for anyone who's interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Appears that McCarthy has been casting the net across the Irish sea again.

Anyone know much about this lad? Aaron McCarey from Monaghan - must be good if he's keeping in nets for the first team at 17?

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,...807944,00.html

Wolves vs Sunderland on Sky on Sunday with a few Irish players on show for anyone who's interested.
    thread about McCarey in the LOI forum MIW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Doyle scores a nice goal from a rebound from an indirect free kick on the 6 yard line. Can only be described as a brilliant game though the referee has been shocking.

Doyle is a class act, at the heart of everything positive from Wolves.

Reid has shown a few nice touches for Sunderland but has been quiet overall.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Say what you like about McCarty the manager, but you can't argue with his loyalty towards fellow Irish players; their quality can be a bit variable (but aren't all transfers?), but he shows genuine desire to pick up bargains.

Course it might all change with the new transfer rules ...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    5-2 to Sunderland was a bit flattering to be honest but the defending by both teams was suicidal at times. Wolves should have been ahead at half-time: Sunderland got a penalty that wasn't while Wolves were denied one that should have been.

Second half was chaotic but Wolves did well to get back level at 2-2 and then the mental defending started. Happy with Doyle and Keogh. Andy Reid had a better last 20 minutes.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Mancienne was eaten alive in the air by Jones for the third (or 4th?) goal. Unluckly deflection for the 5th. I think he may be a bit raw yet for the job facing Wolves & he looks physically slight. Wolves were the better team until Sunderland got the third. Even after their 4th Wolves could have scored a couple. I'd like to have seen Doyle stay on while that big beanpole came on. He was causing havoc and Doyle might have got on the end of something, whereas SEB had to play himself into the game.

Only sdaw second half. Was Wolves' Serbian midfielder playing? Didn't notice him.

Reid played some lovely passes, especially when the game was spread open.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Strangely enough none of the "experts" or managers picked up on the fact that the Sunderland goalie should have been sent off when he deliberately handled a ball from a backpass to stop it going in to the goal. If that had been a defender on the line, it would have been a straight red!

Reid was the only one who could pick out a pass but he ran up a few blind alleys on occasions.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast