Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Wolves and Opposition Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Strangely enough none of the "experts" or managers picked up on the fact that the Sunderland goalie should have been sent off when he deliberately handled a ball from a backpass to stop it going in to the goal. If that had been a defender on the line, it would have been a straight red!

Reid was the only one who could pick out a pass but he ran up a few blind alleys on occasions.
    I don't know the letter of the law on this one, but in any match I've played, it's always been an indirect free kick where the ball is handled, and that's the only penalty.

Now if a goalkeeper handles the ball outside of his box, THEN it's a red.

Maybe an actual referee or someone who knows the rules better can clear things up?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Strangely enough none of the "experts" or managers picked up on the fact that the Sunderland goalie should have been sent off when he deliberately handled a ball from a backpass to stop it going in to the goal. If that had been a defender on the line, it would have been a straight red!

Reid was the only one who could pick out a pass but he ran up a few blind alleys on occasions.
    That's because it is not a sending off offence when it comes to the goalie from a backpass and he handles it - theres a clause in the rule book that makes it different from other situations. It was covered on 5 live after the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    It's an interesting anomaly alright, if he had caught it, would it have just been a back pass?
    Say Robinson had picked up Gary Neville's OG against Croatia, instead of kicking it, would it have been a red card? It was a fairly innocuous pass, but on target, so a definite goal. Richardson's "pass" at the weekend was a better shot than he took for the rest of the game!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I was wondering the same but Graham Poll pointed out that there is a specific guideline to implementing the rule in this instance, and no card was the correct decision.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Thought this was a thread going to be about the Roma ultras group....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

intercepting a backpass is deemed as a different offence to deliberate handball and is not a red card offence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Mancienne was eaten alive in the air by Jones for the third (or 4th?) goal. Unluckly deflection for the 5th. I think he may be a bit raw yet for the job facing Wolves & he looks physically slight. Wolves were the better team until Sunderland got the third. Even after their 4th Wolves could have scored a couple. I'd like to have seen Doyle stay on while that big beanpole came on. He was causing havoc and Doyle might have got on the end of something, whereas SEB had to play himself into the game.

Only sdaw second half. Was Wolves' Serbian midfielder playing? Didn't notice him.

Reid played some lovely passes, especially when the game was spread open.
    I watched the game in full (well, bar the first 7 minutes or so). Scoreline was very harsh on Wolves who might feel they deserved a draw. Mancienne had a poor game all round and looked in trouble every time the ball was sent his way. I recall him playing for England's u-21s a few times and actually thought he did OK at that level so maybe he'll improve with time as he fills out a bit.

'That big beanpole', I presume you mean Maierhofer? To be honest I thought the decision to sub both Wolves strikers at that point was odd, I'd have gone 4-3-3 at that point. Of the two strikers, I thought Keogh had a better all-round game than Doyle although Doyle got the goal from the indirect free kick.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    i thought Doyle and Keogh were both superb actually. Dolye was all over the pitch and caused the Sunderland defence huge problems. Keogh and him have a good understanding built up already - maybe from their time together in the Irish squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    'That big beanpole', I presume you mean Maierhofer?
    That's him - couldn't remember his name.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topia View Post
    intercepting a backpass is deemed as a different offence to deliberate handball and is not a red card offence
    That may be so but there is no logic in the ruling. He stopped the ball from going in to the net by committing a foul. Must be a red card for any sort of consistency.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Stopping the ball going into the net? how would a ref know that? The ball could have been going wide or hit the post.

At a guess the logic comes from, that in the box the goalie was allowed to handle the ball under all circumstances before the back pass rule was introduced.
    The point of the rule was to cut out all that negative play of passing back to the goalie.
    In that, it has succeeded.
    Is there a logical argument to making the punishment stricter should the goalie handle the ball?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I think Geysir is right. The purpose is to stop the negativity of persistent back passing & timewasting. Job done. The resulting indirect fandling a backpass is more than sufficient punishment.

A red card for something that only warrants an indirect free would be daft!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Stopping the ball going into the net? how would a ref know that? The ball could have been going wide or hit the post.
    He'd have to make a judgement like most things he has to make a judgement on. This one was obviously going in to the goal.

My argument is the principle is the same. Defender handles on the line to stop a ball going in: red card. Goalkeeper illegally handles the ball to stop the ball going in: no card at all. Daft!!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Not really, because a goalkeeper is usually legally able to handle the ball in the box, it's only illegal to cut out timewasting / negativity. If anything a goalkeeper handling the ball from a backpass actually spices things up a bit, which makes the rule work.

I see your point but the nuance is easy enough to see in my opinion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    If a nuance is easy to see, is it still a nuance?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Once it's been identified, I'd say yes.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Thought I'd send an update after a vital 3 points down the Molineux on Saturday and in particular to highlight how well Stephen Ward is playing at the moment.

Having started the season brilliantly, his loss through injury was a bigger blow than anticipated and totally lost us our drive down the left flank. He changed the game against Birmingham with his hunger, drive and relentless running down the line and was absolutely exceptional on Saturday with three last minute bone crunching tackles which were timed to perfection in the box. In an era when the motivation and desire of players are regularly questioned, this Kid is an absolute breath of fresh air and is becoming universally loved by the fans for his regular 100% committed fighting performances. He is intelligent, passes the ball well, gets up the line and now knows how to defend - and is fast becoming the embodiment of a modern full back like Cole and Evra (both of whom also started out as Strikers). After moving there last year, I was worried that his lack of defensive experience could find him found out, but now am absolutely convinced that he is the natural successor to Killer and am really excited about the prospect of him and Coleman bombing down the flanks in the campaigns to come - a great feat for the League of Ireland also. Just so you don't think I'm watching him through green tinted glasses, I've attached a recent thread from a Wolves forum showing the appreciation.

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=46079

With regards to the other players, Doyle is playing absolutely immense at the moment. He barely wasted a ball yesterday, his control was brilliant and his running with the ball appears to be improving with every game. He's unfortunately not getting the breaks in terms of chances at goal (which are few and far between), however Ebanks Blake is paling into insignificance next to him at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing up front on his own against Spurs and Man U in our next two away games.

Keogh has been on the bench to accommodate SEB for the last couple of games, but many fans want him to be recalled as his intelligent movement, runs into the corners and link-up play was creating a lot more space and helped bring the midfield into the game more. Also his non-stop running would definitely offer us more than SEB at the minute who is simply waiting for the ball to arrive at him. I would personally love to see him moved on to the right of a 5 man midfield next week to come inside and support Doyle, who seems to play better with him.

Foley is still not fully fit and has been on the bench for the last couple of games. The majority of fans want him straight back in. Would love to see him playing to see how he gets on. Potential questionmarks over his lack of height, but he was our player of the season last year and I am confident he will acquit himself well.

Mick is back in favour after the three points with the players off to Dublin after the game for their Christmas Party. After a mid-season break in Wexford it's quality to hear that the players are back over to Ireland and is obviously an indication of the influence that the Irish Players are having at the club.

As for the opposition, I definitely think we should approach Gary Cahill again as he'd be a great addition to our squad. He looked a very imposing figure and was quality at the back for them. Think Andy O'Brien was playing as well (don't generally pay too much attention to the opposition) but didn't really notice him if he was and he is yesterdays news anyway.
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Great report as usual MIW. I was impressed with Ward as well, and definitely want to see him tried at left-back in friendlies with a view to starting there for us eventually.

Andy O'Brien did play, but not very well. The commentators were all over him, and said he was doing everything wrong. I think they were a bit harsh, but it was certainly a poor performance.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    See MOTD 2 last night?
    Seems Mick has lost the fans

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    See MOTD 2 last night?
    Seems Mick has lost the fans

There was a guy on 606 last weekend giving it loads about how much Mick was frustrating the fans: the main thing that they wanted was Keogh back in the team instead of SEB.

It was a good result the other day, otherwise they were looking at freefall over Christmas.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast