Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2100

Thread: The Derry City thread - Derry sign first four players

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    I think you might be slightly overstating the effect that a single noon kick-off on a March Sunday had on the economy of Cork.
    Can you recall FAI CUP 1/4 final April 1986 Cork v Derry at flower lodge can you remember how many fans took to Cork that day. You telling me they spent nothing in Cork. Monaghan 1985 lashing it down in November how many fans went to Belgium Park that day 3,000 . Enough said

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    You said they were "keeping the towns and cities they were playing in in business" - i.e. that one game you mentioned kept Cork city as a whole in business until next Derry came to visit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    I think you might be slightly overstating the effect that a single noon kick-off on a March Sunday had on the economy of Cork.
    In fairness Tiktok he's right.
    I remember it was the main reason why Apple moved into Holyhill, nothing to do with the corporate tax rate, it was a few thousand Derry fans who came to town once a year for 2 hours.

If they had been in the league a few years earlier Fords would have survived.

They used to buy copious amount of cement and Coke concentrate, among other things, in Drogheda in the late 80s.
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    Can you recall FAI CUP 1/4 final April 1986 Cork v Derry at flower lodge can you remember how many fans took to Cork that day. You telling me they spent nothing in Cork. Monaghan 1985 lashing it down in November how many fans went to Belgium Park that day 3,000 . Enough said
    You're some boy, Yeez are famous for not spending 1 cent on your travels! Busloads of cheap beer and fags and no food for a day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    It really is a disgrace though. A League at best, personally I'd have shipped up them back up north whether they liked it or not, after blatant cheating.

We are in the 'north'

If you mean back into the IL how could you personally have shipped us into the IL?

Looking forward to next season already

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corkharps View Post
    You're some boy, Yeez are famous for not spending 1 cent on your travels! Busloads of cheap beer and fags and no food for a day.
    Are the away games free entrance now?

Nice one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyDCFC View Post
    Are the away games free entrance now?

Nice one
    To be fair, Derry folk are notoriously quite tight (as the reasonably unfair stereotype goes).
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    I remember it well there was indeed a lot of derry supporters (3000 is a slight exageration) 1500 maybe and about half paid in while the remainder sat on the wall outside and had the best view of the game. the supporters never entered the town so the lone shop outside the ground had a very good day .I look forward to the return of these crowds and the great crack as they are undouthabaly the best supporters in the country.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Latest I'm hearing is that 'Derry City' will not afterall be allowed into the Setanta Cup. Can anyone confirm?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Latest I'm hearing is that 'Derry City' will not afterall be allowed into the Setanta Cup. Can anyone confirm?
    so what happens next??I suppose it was going to happen.. Its an awful pity that the setanta cup wasnt in its normal schedule like previous seasons then we wouldnt have to encounter this fiasco if it turns out to be true..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    It's a hell of a lot more of a fiasco if the new club magically takes the old club's place.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It's a hell of a lot more of a fiasco if the new club magically takes the old club's place.
    Exactly... It's a new club so it shouldn't be taking the old 'cheating' teams place...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think - though stand to be corrected - that the settlement related to cash payments to players.
    What makes you think that this is the case ?
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    But I do remember three winding up orders during that season
    The third winding up order we were told by the FAI that they would under no circumstances help us in any way and that if it was not paid by a certain date (not the high court date) that we'd be kicked out of football.

As with the previous two winding up orders it was paid.

You can all rake over old shels issues all you like but the two situations are very different. Shels remain a club in serious debt with many creditors still to be paid from a crazy period for the club.

We missed players payments and eventually paid them late. Minor issues these days when you see what clubs have been doing!

We also had three winding up orders against us and probably deserved some form of punishment but at the same time they were all settled in time. I think Cork had two winding up orders themselves that year too.

Also one important point to note is that all the faults at shels came before any 65% rules.

We offered crazy contracts, found it very difficult to make the payments, borrowed left right and center, eventually sold our ground and spent millions of that too before eventually every well within a 500km radius of Tolka Park ran dry.

We're still paying those debts.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    The third winding up order we were told by the FAI that they would under no circumstances help us in any way and that if it was not paid by a certain date (not the high court date) that we'd be kicked out of football.

You can all rake over old shels issues all you like but the two situations are very different. Shels remain a club in serious debt with many creditors still to be paid from a crazy period for the club.

We missed players payments and eventually paid them late. Minor issues these days when you see what clubs have been doing!

We also had three winding up orders against us and probably deserved some form of punishment but at the same time they were all settled in time. I think Cork had two winding up orders themselves that year too.

Also one important point to note is that all the faults at shels came before any 65% rules.

We offered crazy contracts, found it very difficult to make the payments, borrowed left right and center, eventually sold our ground and spent millions of that too before eventually every well within a 500km radius of Tolka Park ran dry.

Should been shipped back to the IL where you belong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's probably been said loads of times on this thread before, so I appologise in advance.

Whats the current situation, will Derry :

1. Get a Premier Division license ?

2. Get aa First Divison license ?

3. Move to the Irish League ?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Getting a first division license is the only likely outcome.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Mr A Wrote :

Getting a first division license is the only likely outcome.
    Oh right.

Cheers Mr. A.

garyderry
    Quote Originally Posted by Iorfa2MaccaJim View Post
    It's probably been said loads of times on this thread before, so I appologise in advance.

Whats the current situation, will Derry :

1. Get a Premier Division license ?

2. Get aa First Divison license ?

3. Move to the Irish League ?
    Delaney has pretty much told us not to apply for a premier, apply for a First division license and take your punishment. Which is fair enough, and much more than most Derry fans expected.

Despite what has been reported, I dont think the IL was ever even considered, we are an EL club, and everyone involved wanted to remain that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post

The reason Shels kept going was because it had an asset, namely the ground, emphasis on "had". Its impressive you got the whole way through that post without mentioning the Revenue Commissioners. Were the tax bills missed payments or "revised" assessments based on new information?

I haven't defended the actions of the Derry board and I'm not going to start now, they are a bunch of crooks as far as I'm concerned and I hope they get barred from football and directorships for a very long time.

But at the same time I'm not going to sit and listen to Shels fans trying to re-write or gloss over history.