Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Ward given the lowest match rating of both teams, by a wide margin:

http://www.skysports.com/football/us...150469,00.html
    I only saw the MOTD highlights, however, you dont think that rating might be slightly tainted by the fact that he was sent off? i.e. It might not necessarily be a reflection of his performance in the 51 minutes (or whatever it was) that preceeded it?

You know, like when a sub comes on with 20 minutes to go and gets a 3?

Hey, but if Sky Sports says it - it must be true.

Awesome.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    No question the first was a yellow, and for the second, if the referee gives a free, I think he has to give a booking, with Lucas racing into the box like he was.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Bonehead of the year award
    I think you'll find Thierry Henry has already been presented with that award for this year.

Didnt see the other nights game but from recent reports Ward had been doing well at LB. Like its important to play down expectation/exaggeration when an Irish player does very well in game, the same applies when a player does not do too well. One night is not appropriate for such kneejerk over the top reactions, give the lads at least a series of games and then judge overall. If im right (and Manc Wolf im sure will confirm), i think Ward has been out injured for a decent portion of this season so give the lads a few weeks of play before judging.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think you'll find Thierry Henry has already been presented with that award for this year.

Didnt see the other nights game but from recent reports Ward had been doing well at LB. Like its important to play down expectation/exaggeration when an Irish player does very well in game, the same applies when a player does not do too well. One night is not appropriate for such kneejerk over the top reactions, give the lads at least a series of games and then judge overall. If im right (and Manc Wolf im sure will confirm), i think Ward has been out injured for a decent portion of this season so give the lads a few weeks of play before judging.
    Yes he played well in the first couple of games of the season and that was out for three months, only returning at half time on the 2nd half of the Birmingham game. He may have got a stupid first booking against Liverpool, but in the four games that he has played since coming back from injury - 45 mins against Birmingham, 90 against Spurs (in which he was deemed to be MoM against Lennon by most who went) and Burnley, as well as the 60 against Liverpool, we haven't conceeded a goal. I have no doubt that he will be back in against West Ham in two weeks time (well I certainly hope he is).
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Recently just signed up to foot.ie. Have seen ward play live in the flesh a lot this season and he is without doubt a class act. Excellent on the ball and going forward, also a very good defender who rarely gets caught out. I dont know why people are slateing him for getting sent off against Liverpool, that happens (and he'll learn from it). He is defo a prem player and defo our next international left back.

Another good solid game for him yesterday against Tranmere in the cup. Some great balls into the box, pity Blake couldn't finish.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishwolf View Post
    Recently just signed up to foot.ie. Have seen ward play live in the flesh a lot this season and he is without doubt a class act. Excellent on the ball and going forward, also a very good defender who rarely gets caught out. I dont know why people are slateing him for getting sent off against Liverpool, that happens (and he'll learn from it). He is defo a prem player and defo our next international left back.

Another good solid game for him yesterday against Tranmere in the cup. Some great balls into the box, pity Blake couldn't finish.
    When u are on this forum a while u will realise that certain people have some strange opinions at times to put it kindly
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    When u are on this forum a while u will realise that certain people have some strange opinions at times to put it kindly
    a big percentage of irish people just love to complain and see others fail.... so we have our fair share of those types on here also

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Ha!! Yeah... You'll never be famous in your own town, as they say!!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishwolf View Post
    I dont know why people are slateing him for getting sent off against Liverpool, that happens
    No way man. The two arm attack on Benayoun that earned him his first yellow was one of the laziest plays you'll see in the Premiership this year. You don't see carelessness like that in pub football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    No way man. The two arm attack on Benayoun that earned him his first yellow was one of the laziest plays you'll see in the Premiership this year. You don't see carelessness like that in pub football.
    i've seen much worse in the 7-a-side leagues round longford
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 09/01/2010 at 2:54 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The Longford Slashers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The Longford Slashers?
    no acornvilla we are a very multinational team full of young tallent and some not so tallented youth

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    was at the liverpool game last night in molineux.Wardie had a very solid game,Kevin Doyle was absolutly class and foley was very good as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ward signs three year deal with Wolves: http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,...058634,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Watched yesterdays's highlights on RTE this morning. Caught the Everton v Wolves game. Ward was involved in the free kick that Everton scored from. in the first half he was playing left side of midfield. In the second half Mick brought on Jarvis and put Wardy left full. Another incident when Everton broke and had just Wardy to beat, Ward made a sublime tackle and came away with the ball. RTE never even mentioned his name in the indicent. Do they not realise he is Irish. I can't understand what this guy has to do to get into an Irish squad. Foley has also started the season very well.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Great tackle on Beckford when he was one on one with Ward. MOTD mentioned him!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Watched yesterdays's highlights on RTE this morning. Caught the Everton v Wolves game. Ward was involved in the free kick that Everton scored from. in the first half he was playing left side of midfield. In the second half Mick brought on Jarvis and put Wardy left full. Another incident when Everton broke and had just Wardy to beat, Ward made a sublime tackle and came away with the ball. RTE never even mentioned his name in the indicent. Do they not realise he is Irish. I can't understand what this guy has to do to get into an Irish squad. Foley has also started the season very well.
    Does RTE ever comment on the Irish players' performances, bar maybe the obvious ones? It'd be no extra effort for the analysts / commentators to comment - good or bad - on an Irishman that features in a game, but it'd be very useful for the public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    They do mention the Irish players when the lineups are announced, but not during play
    Walters was mentioned as a B international for the Stoke game

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    That's something I suppose, but in the post match review it'd be nice if the question was put to the panel whether they thought he played well (which he did based on the MOTD highlights I saw).

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast