Thanked in
    4 Posts

Jon Walters

News of the World

KEANO SHOULD KNOW ABOUT 'PUKE FOOTBALL'
    I brought in vomit to prove I was really sick

WALTERS: Left Ipswich under a cloud

By Garry Doyle, 18/09/2010

JON WALTERS has every reason to be sick and tired of Roy Keane.

After a year in the Corkman's company, he went from being star pupil and Ipswich Town captain to club outcast.

Pigeon-holed as a troublemaker, when the opposite was the case, Walters' fall-out with Keane had shades of Saipan - only in reverse.

This time the hunted was the hunter. Keane, the accuser, reckoned his former Irish Under-21 international Walters was pulling a fast one in the hope of getting a move away from the club.

Instead, Walters was being a model pro, to the extent where he even took a picture of his VOMIT to prove he wasn't faking illness the night before a League Cup match at Exeter.

Walters said: "Roy annoyed me because he made me out to be a bad egg which is not what I am all about.

"What happened was this. At the start of pre-season, I was aware of interest from a couple of Premier League teams.

"So Roy pulled me into his office and said: 'How are you?' I said: 'My head's not the best but I'm okay.' We talked about things and I said if an offer is right for the club and yourself, I would like to take it.

"He was completely fine with me and said I could have a couple of weeks to think about it and if I still felt the same way then I could move on.

"But within two weeks, we spoke again. Nothing had changed. No realistic offers had come in. That was it. 'Fair enough,' I said. 'You know me. I am not going to be a bad egg around the place. I'll train, give everything and just get on with it. I am not the type of person who sulks.'

"And he agreed. So I carried on as normal, captained the side in the first game of the season against Middlesbrough and if there was any doubt I was messing about, you would have seen it during that match.

"But I gave 100 per cent. Then three days later, it all kicked off. We had Exeter away and all during the week everybody in my family had a vomiting bug. So I quarantined myself from the wife and kids to try and avoid it.

"But at 3am on the Tuesday morning I was throwing up. I even took a picture of my sick and sent it to the physio because I knew Roy wouldn't believe me, what with it being a cup tie, clubs being interested in me and all that sort of thing.

"So I got the physio and doctor to smell my breath the next morning just after I'd been sick again.

"The next day I trained, even though I'd been wiped out. Then I got a text on Thursday night saying 'have you seen the papers?'. Roy had a pop at me, basically saying certain players were throwing one in.

"A day later, he brought me into the office, said I was going to be playing but I didn't deserve to be captain because of my behaviour. Things got animated and he came out and told the papers my reaction was unbelievably overboard.

"But I still thought I would play even though I knew I wouldn't be captain."

Instead, he was dropped and then told his days at Ipswich were over.

Walters said: "Keane suggested I had my head turned by every Tom, Putz and Harry.

"But I hadn't moaned or told him I wanted to leave. I had trained well. It was disappointing it got made out that I had stamped my foot down when that simply wasn't the case."

If only Walters' issues with Irish managers started and ended with Keane.

Instead, he has a little history, having been the recipient of another piece of old-school behaviour from Don Givens, his former Irish Under-21 manager.

Having scored twice on his debut in a 2-0 away win in Switzerland, Walters never played for Ireland again, missing one game with injury, another with a tooth abscess and a third though mismanagement.

KEANE: Ipswich Town manager

Walters said: "It was the end of season. My team-mates were all away to Marbella on a booze-up to celebrate winning promotion.

"Rather than go there, I went to Lanzarote with my wife and was having a quiet one, going religiously to the gym every day.

"And then Don rang me. He must have got the international dialling tone because he asked where I was. I explained to him what I was doing and he said: 'It doesn't sound like you are committed to Ireland. I'm leaving you out.' I haven't heard from Ireland since."

Perhaps that will change under Giovanni Trapattoni, who has a habit of plucking guys from the fringes and making them regulars in his side.

Certainly, Walters doesn't want to hang around much longer. With his 27th birthday arriving this Tuesday, he realises he is no spring chicken and representing the land of his mother, Helen Brady, would be an honour on two levels.

"Mum passed away when I was 12," said Walters. "And when I played that time for the Under-21s, I couldn't stop thinking about her. Loads of family travelled to Switzerland to watch that game and after it, they were saying, 'you know Jonathan, your mum would be proud today'.

"So I'd love to do it again on a personal as much as a professional level. Since I was a kid, I've holidayed in the caravan park just outside Carlingford with all my cousins and now I'm going back there with my two daughters to keep the generation game going."

The next time he hopes to be back on Irish soil is next month when Ireland meet Russia.

And who knows? Perhaps a shaven head, passionate midfielder is just what Trap needs. If you can't have Roy Keane, why not go for the bloke who fell out with him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Interesting alright, and typical Givens like....christ how that man has hurt us!! Taking a pic of your puke is a bit weird though to say the least...surely he'd get a doc out and get a sick note?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Keane is some mentaller in fairness. Ipswich should, by right, be his last managerial job since he has such a hard time managing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Keane is some mentaller in fairness. Ipswich should, by right, be his last managerial job since he has such a hard time managing.
    Second in the table with Ipswich so not doing too badly. And he tends to annoy a lot of people associated with football who deserved to be annoyed (and this is not a go at you StSku). I find some of his managerial decisions bizarre such as going public in his spats with players (Givens like). But I would not count him out as becoming a top manager yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Will have to wait and see how the season goes but if he keeps them going noone can deny he's a decent championship manager anyway. I just hate the "He'll never play for this club again while i'm manager" crap. He's done with a few players and it's just cringeworthy. He should settle that kind of stuff behind closed doors and keep his mouth shut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Second in the table with Ipswich so not doing too badly. And he tends to annoy a lot of people associated with football who deserved to be annoyed (and this is not a go at you StSku). I find some of his managerial decisions bizarre such as going public in his spats with players (Givens like). But I would not count him out as becoming a top manager yet.
    no, you're right, i do deserve to be annoyed...! He is just so alienating in terms of his teams/squads. He hasnt learnt how and when to stay quiet on divisive issues and that is a major fault which in my opinion will lead to him becoming unemployable..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Roy's an inflexible character to say the least. When your first reaction to hurling your guts up is to create photographic evidence for Keano...you'd best be getting directions to Stoke!

Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Interesting alright, and typical Givens like....christ how that man has hurt us!!
    I for one, always have my story straight and affairs in order. You never know when Don will call and you damn well better be prepared.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    I for one, always have my story straight and affairs in order. You never know when Don will call and you damn well better be prepared.
    Hahahaha does make him sound quite nazi-ish alright.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Taking a pic of your puke is a bit weird though to say the least...surely he'd get a doc out and get a sick note?
    Yeah!! He doth protest too much, methinks!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    True.. He knows his football, but he's a strange fish. He's not a people person. I reckon that's why his scouting is so poor. I doubt he trusts people enough. He needs a good cop as his right hand man. Something like the way Redknapp had Jim Smith years ago..

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wouldn't get too excited about a NOTW article. Quoted dialogue has a way of getting trimmed and moved around.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Roy Keane is a header.

Sometimes headers can be useful though !. Not too sure about having them as football managers though !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    First league goal for Stoke today.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Kenwyne Jones's flick on was touched on by Matt Etherington and Walters raced clear to chip over Robinson for the opener.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    from today's Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...y-2366380.html
    Walters call on cards
    ONE of the problem areas in the Ireland squad is the lack of striking cover for Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle, and next month's friendly with Norway should give Stoke new boy Jonathan Walters a chance to audition for the role.
    Marco Tardelli was at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday to watch Walters -- a recent purchase from Ipswich -- score the only goal in their Premier League win over Blackburn. Capped at U-21 level and 'B' level, Liverpool-born Walters is likely to make a positive impression on Trapattoni given his no-nonsense approach to the game.
    Tardelli hinted that the 27-year-old can expect a call-up.
    Can we get this thread added to the international player's thread sticky?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm bleeding dyin' to see this squad for the Norway Freindly!!!

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wonder what did Tardelli do, that the reporter interpreted as a hint in the right direction of Walters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I'm bleeding dyin' to see this squad for the Norway Freindly!!!
    potential call ups for it include

• James McCarthy
    • Jonathan Walters
    • Ciaran Clark
    • Hogan Ephraim
    • Stephen Ward
    • Connor Sammon (although I seriously doubt it)

and the possible returns of Stephen Hunt and Anthony Stokes
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

• James McCarthy
    • Jonathan Walters
    • Ciaran Clark
    • Hogan Ephraim
    • Stephen Ward

lets hope so. Would be nice to see Duffy gettin called in for the get together too
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

• James McCarthy
    • Jonathan Walters
    • Ciaran Clark
    • Hogan Ephraim
    • Stephen Ward

Really? I know he scored against Celtic, but didn't hear he had suddenly transformed into a contender...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast