Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ward

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Technically he looks to be better than most of our English-trained players. I didn't know the Bohemians academy was such a bastion of total football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    yeah, he came through under Gareth Farrelly's tenure i believe so it makes a lot of sense when you thnk about it..... erm....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    With Kilbane heading to League One team Huddersfield and Cunningham out injured for the season, it looks like Wad will finally get his chance for Ireland over the next few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I think this shows how stupid Trap was never to give Ward a chance until now. We've only one game before Macedonia and our first-choice left back is playing central midfield at 3rd division level. Ian Harte for a recall maybe? He seemed to be doing well at Reading. Or O'Shea left back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Harte is playing as a centre half now, and the little pace he had is gone. He would be a total liability as a fullback at this stage IMO. My preference would be for O'Shea to play at left full and one of Foley or Coleman to slot in at right full, or Kelly even...Kelly could be tried as a left full too as he's spent quite a bit of his club career at Brum and now Fulham playing there, but his lack of playing time would be a concern for me now.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Ian Harte is one of my all time favourite players but there is absolutely zero chance of an international recall.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Harte is playing as a centre half now, and the little pace he had is gone. He would be a total liability as a fullback at this stage IMO. My preference would be for O'Shea to play at left full and one of Foley or Coleman to slot in at right full, or Kelly even...Kelly could be tried as a left full too as he's spent quite a bit of his club career at Brum and now Fulham playing there, but his lack of playing time would be a concern for me now.
    I agree, think JOSH is the safest option at LB for now.

Really starting to worry for Wolves now, yesterdays result against WHam was a disaster for them. They are only two points off safety so a good run could see them safe. But with so many Irish involved with the club, really want to see them come good as opposed to Wham where we have zero interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    John O'Shea can not play left back. Please stop suggesting him as a potential left back, thanks be to you.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    He is definitely not a natural left back but he can hold his own there, and is better than most alternatives we have. He can play CB and RB better though. If we had decent natural left backs it'd be daft to consider him but we don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Ciaran Clark did very well today at left back for Villa against Chelsea, I'd say he's the best available player to fill that spot for us too.

Given
    O'Shea-Dunne-St. Ledger-Clark

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    John O'Shea can not play left back. Please stop suggesting him as a potential left back, thanks be to you.
    I disagree and would be of the same thinking as Stutts post straight after you. Im not saying its is best position but he could do a job there. I think at present he would be our safest option there. I would like to see some new options tried at LB against Wales in February ie Clark, maybe Ward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    We used to play Finnan at left back and O'Shea at right back a few years ago. That tells you all you need to know about how good a LB O'Shea is. Last season when Evra was out O'Shea did not play left back either for Manchester United.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well that's hardly surprising since Evra played almost every game last season and O'Shea was injured for all but the first three months. O'Shea played left back once or twice this season when Evra was injured.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Correct. Colbert, If I could be arsed to do a search, how many times do you reckon you have posted "O'Shea is not a LB" ?

Seriously - its tedious. As others have pointed out, obviously its not his natural position but he could more than do a job there for us compared to our other options and if he can get game time there for Man U, I really fail to see what point you are trying to make.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    My point is, he can't get game time there for United. Once in the past five years in an emergency situation does not count in my opinion. It really gets my goat when I see people post this here, it would be a bit like saying Robbie Keane could do a great job for us in central midfield, just not going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think anybody's ever seriously said it would be his best position or that he'd do a great job. But the point is that Alex Ferguson trusts him to play there in a snip and it's very likely that we'll have a snip at some point in the future and most of us have full confidence that he'd do a decent job.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    We are an international side and players are always notoriously played out of their preferred position to accommodate the usual lack of supplies that a particular international side will have in a particular position. For example, before WC 2002 Nigeria played with Kanu in central midfield against us in Dublin. So the prospect of JOSH filling in at LB is not so crazy, and that is why people mention it as a possible option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Trapattoni knows better than all of us, when he starts John O'Shea or a plonker like Stephen Ward at left-back then I'll shut my mouth. Until then, people need to stop mentioning players playing in positions that they're clearly not suited for. The idea of John O'Shea starting a match for Ireland at left back is ludicrous. Our current left-back problems are nothing new, Steve Staunton used to put Steve Finnan, one of the best right-backs in the world at the time, in at left-back in order to accomodate John O'Shea's weak left foot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd have thought the reason O'Shea hasn't started left back is that he's our best right-back and our best centre-half so left-back would only be his third most-effective position. And Trap loves KK. But if it was an emergency and we needed him to play left-back, he'd probably do it better than most, just as he does for one of the top 5 teams in Europe from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    O'Shea has played at left back for United in both the premiership and the Champions League. It may not be his best position but to suggest it would be ludicrous to play him there is wrong. KK days are over, Cunningham is out until next season. The choices Trap has to make for the game in March is can he take a huge chance and play KK or will he draft in untried players like Ward or Clark or play someone versatile like O'Shea. The answer is obvious to me. Josh
    Always look on the bright side of life

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast