Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ward

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Those wolves supporters seem some of the most fickle bunch ive ever seen.

"Without meaning to be too negative as most who went to the game said he was very good. It was obvious from a couple of MOTD clips, he still backs off too much. Against wingers with a shot (A Johnson, Downing, Walcott etc.) I think he'd be punished.
    "

Interesting though that is exactly what i said when watching him last year. He has conceded goals for Wolves because of this time and again.

"If I was twenty or thirty years younger [ok and maybe a different gender] I'd be wanting Wardy and/or Hunty to father all my offspring.

The pair of them epitomise this wonderful evolving Wolves team we have.
    "

Manc can you tell them thats cos they are Irish....
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 15/08/2011 at 12:20 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Wow he made a great clearance against Fulham, looked like a certain goal, top class stuff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    anyone think ward has made the left back spot his own?? i wasn't very impressed

caught out of position so badly a few times that his wasn't even in the picture frame, so i really dunno if he was doing something useful (tracking a runner etc) or not, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt there.

absoloutley terrible for the header chance for russia with a few mins to go. its exactly the type of defending people (including myself) have been crucifing kilbane at LB for, didn't even seem aware that there might be a guy in red trying to score anywhere in the area

he did get into a few good attacking positions but each time his crossing was poor.

i would keep him in for the remaining games anyway. he has "made his bones" against the 2 toughest teams in the group, whats the point in blooding a new one , who would we choose anyway . wilson maybe? or bring back killer

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Agree that Ward really wasn't good yesterday. It stood out a mile away that he wasn't a natural left back. Even his crosses were woeful when he got forward on the rare occasion. Have watched Wilson in 2 of Stoke's games this season and he is rock solid. Certainly the best option for left back we have. Trap will stick with Ward now for the final two games. Away to Andorra Ward should do ok. However, the Irish left back position is certainly one area Armenia will be hoping to exploit in Dublin. O'Shea should be back at right back so that will shore that side up.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Ward is terrible as a defender, get him outta there. Kilbane will play if fit. Wilson should be blooded. Ward might be worth a look as a winger or striker but not as a left back.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I thought he was poor as well, positionally especially, dragged inside too easily and its something Wolves fans have said on the message boards too as being an ongoing flaw in him, pass selection and execution left a lot to be desired and the crossing was desperate. We are now seeing why Trap stuck so doggedly with Kilbane for so long and wanted to blood young Cunningham before he lost last season to injury. Wilson is doing a job there for his club, but is not a LB.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    True, true. I think Ward is a bit of a liability at the moment, which is a pity, as I would always champion his inclusion in the squad (and indeed, first team ahead of Kilbane). He's been terrible so far, crossing is shocking and keeps getting dragged inside. But, to be fair, so did Killer.

The other debutants that have become part of Trap's first X1 (St. Ledger, Lawrence) took to international football easily and didn't look out of place when they were playing competitively. Ward is still on his what, 6th cap? He may (hopefully) surprise us all. If not, Wilson or Cunningham for the Euros please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Surely Trap will sit the lad down and show him where he is going wrong. I think he has the potential to make the position his own, but needs to start learning fast.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Wilson is doing a job there for his club, but is not a LB.
    The trend appears to have right footed players at left back now a la Wilson at Stoke and Bardsley at Sunderland to match the increasing trend of having left footed players at right wing and vice versa a la Ashley Young (United), Downing (Liverpool), Duff (Fulham/Ireland), etc. The reason being is that these winger's natural tendency is to cut in instead of going wide. Right footed players are better equipped to deal with this. Wilson has fitted in very well at LB for Stoke. I think the days of saying that a player is right footed therefore he is not a left back are in the past with the way the game has evolved. Look at Philip Lahm! However, I do agree that he has always been a central player (midfield/CB) but he really has taken to full back like a duck to water and is Ireland's best current option at LB

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I dunno, Tommy. I see what your saying re the Wide players playing in off they're good foot but I think the Right footed left backs cited are down to the lack of decent left footed defenders more than anything else. If anything, the better teams require more input from their full backs rather than merely snuffing out the threat of the opposing Winger. Kelly has played LB in his time also.

I'm with Drummerboy on this though. I see potential in Ward. Not saying he wasn't poor at times, but I think there's something there provided he can prove he's on a learning curve. He was sucked in so bad at times though, it made me wonder if he was tasked with something by Trapp, with McGeady told to be prepared to cover when required. I dunno. I'll be watching him at Wolves more closely were possible. Maybe I'm looking for something that's not there.

Jayzus, when you think there was a time when we had Terry Phelan, Steve Staunton and Dennis Irwin in the same squad!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    It will take Ward about 10 games before he starts to get used to international football and what is expected of him. He made one great run forward against the Russians gaining us a corner. Crosses poor. Positioning at times poor. McGeady deserves great credit for helping Ward out in the last tow games. But as soon as Ward has a couple of good and confident games (and he will)he will look like a different player. Niall Quinn been a perfect example of a player who can improve greatly and begin to understand the international game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    McGeady's role with Ward reminds me of the first couple of games that McShane had.
    Duff was constantly covering his ass. Remember at the Cyprus game in Croker Duff spent so much of that game in the first third of the pitch marshalling McShane.

Ward is undoubtedly a more talented footballer than McShane in saying that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    McGeady's role with Ward reminds me of the first couple of games that McShane had.
    Duff was constantly covering his ass. Remember at the Cyprus game in Croker Duff spent so much of that game in the first third of the pitch marshalling McShane.

Ward is undoubtedly a more talented footballer than McShane in saying that.
    I'm better than McShane ffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    I'm better than McShane ffs
    I don't like to go down that road as it is unfair for me sitting here with my leaden left foot to criticise a professional footballer and use me as the comparison.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    well in contrast to ward , mcshane was touted as the next mcgrath when he first burst on the scene.

we all know how that ended up so maybe it will be the reverse for ward and he will become an irish legend and release a ballad on curracloe beach in the near future

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Lads there is nothing to suggest ward will anything other than another mcshane, he isn't as clumsy but his reading and positioning is terrible.

Under pressure he doesn't have a good touch, and when rushed we saw the end product the last few days.

His crossing was absolutely atrocious the last day as well when loads of time.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Bashing Ward for a couple of poor crosses. All I have to say to that is at least he was there to cross in the first place. How many crosses did Kelly put in? How many runs did Kelly make? How many corners did Kelly win?

All I'm saying is give him some time. Ward was clearly out of position a couple of times. Although sometimes McGeady was back covering his own man (i.e. their right back - other teams like to get their full backs forward). Ward has been a utility man for Wolves for a good while now. He needs more than a couple of matches to get used to being an international left back.

For all the negatives, at least there was a slither of attacking promise from him at full back.
    Last edited by Irwin3; 08/09/2011 at 3:29 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A few points about Ward:

He's played 6 games for us now and we haven't conceded a goal in any of them. People call Trap a lucky manager - maybe Ward is his good luck charm?

Russia and Slovakia both play with one rampaging wide man and another who drifts in. Playing a 442 as we do, that means Ward is charged with tracking the man (Arshavin) infield and McGeady the wing back (Anyukov). McGeady and Kilbane got their wires crossed on this front and it cost us a goal in Dublin, but he and Ward seemed to be much more sure of their roles. If we played 433, Ward would be charged with tracking Anyukov, but we don't, so he has no choice but to go with Arshavin. He did get sucked too much infield for my liking but he was doing his job.

Ward's crossing was atrocious in both matches but in the last few Premier League matches he's put in some great crosses so he's perhaps just overcomplicating things a bit due to overeagerness. He'll iron that out. He also offers more going forward than Kilbane, with one good run against Russia to win a corner and another very early in the Slovakia match that Doyle didn't even lift up his head to spot (and wound up passing the ball out of the play - the first indication he was going to have a stinker). I've always been a big defender of Kilbane but I think Ward has won his shirt now.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He's played 6 games for us now and we haven't conceded a goal in any of them. People call Trap a lucky manager - maybe Ward is his good luck charm?
    Saw a similar stat during the week about Andrews. We haven't conceded a goal with Andrews on the pitch in these qualifiers.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yes it is hard to criticism a defence and a defensive midfield under those circumstances.

Statistically you would be saying Ward and Andrews are amongst the best players in the world.

23. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast