Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    As one of the unfancied, Stephen's got a tough task to break into Trap's plans but so far so good. Himself and Kevin Foley are nothing if not consistent.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Trap seems to offer only annual or semi-annual friendly opportunities to play yourself into the squad or team. At least Foley is now a mainstay in the squad. Ward was unlucky to be injured in early summer, but without Trap seeing him up close it doesn't look like he'll figure. Maybe he has already decided that the raw Cunningham is better.

Although Armenia away will be tricky (they beat Belgium and only lost 2-1 to Spain) you'd think that Andorra at home wiould be an opportunity to make at least one "risky" selection.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I watched the whole game yesterday and Ward and Foley have definetely improved from last season. Not world beaters by any means. Timing of tackles good . The opposition encountered very good. I was impressed by their discipline. Ward last saeson looked a little off the pace to me against very good players. Against some very, very good Everton players yesterday I thought his overall performance was good. He looks like an established PL player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Ward last saeson looked a little off the pace to me against very good players.
    I thought the very same thing. Seemed to lack a decent burst of acceleration. It was there at times yesterday though, right enough.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Should be in the squad and starting.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I watched this game (Everton v Wolves) and I can't argue. He should be in the squad by now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I think he deserves some more looking at, at the very least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    If you replace Ward's name with Kilbane in the below thread, it sounds all too familiar

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php...mid=2119553410

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    If you replace Ward's name with Kilbane in the below thread, it sounds all too familiar

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php...mid=2119553410
    "Ward - Lets in occasional sloppy goal. Passes well, has reasonable pace, good crosser of a ball."

I don't know, the last sentence doesn't describe Killer at all!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Best comment:

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom
    Still good enough for the England team though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    "Ward - Lets in occasional sloppy goal. Passes well, has reasonable pace, good crosser of a ball."

I don't know, the last sentence doesn't describe Killer at all!
    Haha well yeah true, but meant the rest of the thread. Seem to be fans of Foley though.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Excellent game today for Wolves. Played up front by McCarthy and really put himself about. Won loads of headers and played some very good football. I would like to see him continue playing up front for Wolves and see if he can put in performances like todays on a consistent basis. We need decent forwards and maybe Ward can step in when needed. Considering he used to be a winger I was very surprised by how good he is in the air.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 13/12/2010 at 1:42 PM. Reason: speeling!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Not sure where it came in his positional merry-go-round but Ward made his name as a striker at Bohs, his form up front is what took him across the water. Always handy in the air.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Ward has been playing left side of midfield in recent weeks and yesterday was pushed on up front. Really think this lad deserves a chance to play for the Senior Irish team. Yesterday he had a great game and kept Fletcher out of the team. I know if Doyle was fit he would not have started up front but he certainly looked the part.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree,very solid performance from stephen yesterday.Think he proved a lot of people wrong.He's been a consistent starter in the league this year and surely this is improving him.The fact he is so versatile gives him a great advantage,if he wasnt for this he'd be shipped off (LIKE KEOGH) long ago.There aren't many players in the league who can play defence midfield and attack.Surely that stubborn old Italian will eventually give him the long overdue proper call up. He's better than Kilbane in defence and better than sheridan in attack.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

Agree Totally

I was looking at the highlights (brief as they were) of the Wolves game and saw a lad put in a number of very good crosses with left and right boot. Thought it was one of there foreign players but was very pleasantly surprised when I heard Ward's name attached to them. Looks like a decent option for the Ireland subs bench at least, on this evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Saw this article from the BBC by a Wolves fan seems full of praise for Stephen Ward and his commitment to the cause, wonder if hes part of Traps plans though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A78321800

'For me, Ward is above criticism. He gives everything for Wolves every single time he pulls on the shirt. Whether he is ultimately good enough for a team in the higher reaches of the Premier League is not a matter for him. It is a matter for McCarthy. All Ward can do is carry on doing his absolute best. And he always delivers nothing less.'

19. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Glad to see Wardy's Performance being noted be so many. He was immense on Sunday and was a lot of people's man of the match above fan's favourite Ebanks Blake (who equally played very well). He's definitely a victim of being a Jack of all Trades, however proved on that performance how effective he can be in his true position (when he first arrived he was player of the month in the Championship).

He proved a perfect link up man for SEB winning countless balls in the air - which is no mean feat against two dominant centrehalves in Danns and Johnson - and I would personally like to see him given another chance there again this weekend ahead of Doyle on that performance (I absolutely love Doyle, however his lack of directness is frustrating, often running to the wings and am equally worried about his inability to form effective partnerships - hopefully I'll be proved wrong on that).

Wardy is definitely frustrating, as that performance and others such as at Left Back against Spurs last season prove what he can do when his confidence is up, in which he has the ability to be the best player on the pitch in arguably the best league. However, at other times suffers from a lack of confidence. Irrespective, his attitude and commitment is second to none and surely for his adaptability alone is deserved of a place in our squad.

The thread attached gives resounding special recognition:

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=55585

For the record, Foley had another good game, with his usual tidy distribution, good positional sense and well timed tackling playing in centre midfield, whereas Hunty loooks like he is getting back to his combatative, scurrying best, although could have put a few better balls in. All in all, these three are definitely what you need in a dogfight.
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Scores against Liverpool...neat finish under Reina. Only turned it on at half time, but he's been a handful so far with his physical presence.

His first goal since February 2007, first ever in the EPL
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    great news. Delighted for Stephen. Even moreso as i have a signed Bohs jersey with his name printed on the back. Will have to check out the goal later.

Great for Stephen and also a nice lift for the league and domestic footy for a player that came through from junior football with Portmarnock AFC, the league with Bohs and on to England. The way it should be done for almost all Irish players.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast