52 Posts

Squad for Cyprus?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Squad For Cyprus & South Africa 5-8/9/08

All will be revealed at a press conference at the Clarion Hotel near Dublin Airport at 5pm on Friday afternoon.

PNE Duo Retain Places

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    No changes whatsoever unfortunately. Same squad for both games Cyprus and South Africa. Surely McCann, Fahey or Ward should have been called into the squad for at least the South Africa game. Miller we've dicussed before but I'm also not sure how Nolan keeps his place in the squad when he can't even get a game for Preston thus far this season. He's played no football this season and can't be match fit. Ward must be livid. At least the injured lads (Doyle and Foley) are likely to feature for their clubs when they recover.

Shay Given Manchester City
    Keiren Westwood Coventry City
    Joe Murphy Scunthorpe United
    John O'Shea Manchester United
    Kevin Foley Wolves
    Richard Dunne Manchester City
    Stephen Kelly Fulham
    Kevin Kilbane Hull City
    Eddie Nolan Preston North End
    Sean St. Ledger Preston North End
    Aiden McGeady Celtic
    Damien Duff Fulham
    Darron Gibson Manchester United
    Glenn Whelan Stoke City
    Keith Andrews Blackburn Rovers
    Liam Miller Unattached
    Stephen Hunt Hull City
    Andy Keogh Wolves
    Liam Lawrence Stoke City
    Caleb Folan Hull City
    Kevin Doyle Wolves
    Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur
    Shane Long Reading
    Leon Best Coventry City

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...tid=1&Itemid=8
    Last edited by youngirish; 21/08/2009 at 5:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    its embarrassing that Miller is still in that squad. Theres loyalty and theres blind stupidity.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    its embarrassing that Miller is still in that squad. Theres loyalty and theres blind stupidity.
    Remember how we used to give out about Mick McCarthy and is loyalty to certain players, but at least those guys had clubs!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Remember how we used to give out about Mick McCarthy and is loyalty to certain players, but at least those guys had clubs!!
    It's the only issue I have with Trap. There's no doubt his tactics work and he's got the best out of a very limited set of players thus far but his stubborness regarding bringing the odd new players into the squad sometimes is as ludicrous as when Staunton at the other end of the scale was throwing heaps of untried youth players directly into the team at once.

And before anyone pulls me up on this I have to say that I don't trust his judgement in these matters. He refused to replace McShane in the squad for what seemed like an eternity with the far more talented St Ledger yet once he had a look at St Ledger he threw him straight into the first team. He's listening to the likes of Brady and Givens too much I believe, 2 clueless mongs.
    Last edited by youngirish; 21/08/2009 at 5:19 PM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Ah but remember if we lose Trap (Italy) will qualify!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    It's the only issue I have with Trap. There's no doubt his tactics work and he's got the best out of a very limited set of players thus far but his stubborness regarding bringing the odd new players into the squad sometimes is as ludicrous as when Staunton at the other end of the scale was throwing heaps of untried youth players directly into the team at once.

And before anyone pulls me up on this I have to say that I don't trust his judgement in these matters. He refused to replace McShane in the squad for what seemed like an eternity with the far more talented St Ledger yet once he had a look at St Ledger he threw him straight into the first team. He's listening to the likes of Brady and Givens too much I believe, 2 clueless mongs.
    way over the top. what is the point in bringing in new players at this crucial stage and have to start them off from scratch in relation to tactics etc? theres no point in change for change sake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    No Fahey? No McCann? No Morrison? I'm shocked!

I mean Steven Reid hasn't recovered, we're gonna have Whelan and Andrews in midfield and we need a win in this game. Maby Traps wheels will come off in Nicosia?

Liam Miller, not with a club. Whelan is sub. Gibson is a sub. Andrews is the only midfielder who actually starts for his club. We're better than that. No exuses this is just idiotic.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    way over the top. what is the point in bringing in new players at this crucial stage and have to start them off from scratch in relation to tactics etc? theres no point in change for change sake
    Liam Miller has played no football for months now so how you can sit there and post the above without a smiley and imply that he will in some way add more to the squad than the likes of McCann or Fahey because he may or may not be more familiar with certain tactics (which change on a game by game basis anyway) borders on the surreal.

The squad is also for the South Africa match. By your logic we should stick with the exact same players through to the end of the next world cup and I can assure you we won't be getting there if the likes of Miller or Nolan are required in the qualifiers when they aren't match fit.
    Last edited by youngirish; 21/08/2009 at 5:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    he doesnt pick Brian Murphy (understandable to an extent) because he is not playing at a "higher level" (not necessarily the most valid of excuses for a goalie).

Yet he picks a player who does not even have a club.

That stinks.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Im all for keeping a settled squad and even though Im not surprised about Millers inclusion, it really does smack of laziness on the management teams part.He cant be properly fit, he has no match sharpness therefore there is no way he will be considered for selection in the match.So is he only in the squad to keep his training up before he signs for a new club? I know its not the time to be gambling with blooding new players but we should only be selecting players in the squad that have a genuine chance of making some sort of impact in the game if they are needed
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Whelan is sub.
    Just started against Liverpool in Anfield.

The Miller inclusion is strange, the only thing I can think of is that Miller has a deal lined up and is going to sign with someon in the next week. If so and he plays a game or two before Cyprus then fair enough, he's fourth choice central midfield. People going on as if Trap was planning on building the side around him. Miller's experience in domestic football, as well as being a member of almost every single Trap squad means he'd be the better option then throwing in someone like McCann ala Stan the Man would do. If he doesn't have a club by the end of the transfer window then that'd be the end of Miller for Ireland (of course that would co-incide with Reid's return, and so Miller would be bumped as the fourth choice CM anyway).

Lets say we get hit by a wave of injuries before Cyprus, I'd consider it more of a gamble to throw in a debutant who's never played a big game in their life, and has no prior experience of how the Irish system works, then playing Miller who has a lack of match practice this season. Hopefully it won't be an issue either way, and in the future we have Gibson/Whelan/Andrews/S Reid as our CMs. Then let Miller find a club and battle it out amongst the rest for 'back up' spot not in the squad.

Good to see Doyle's been named in the squad too.
    Last edited by Jicked; 21/08/2009 at 5:53 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Looks as if some of you have no experience of how qualifying groups and their squads develop over a campaign.
    All a manager can do is guess what will work. Traps guess is based on a wealth of experience which he can apply to the needs of present day international football.
    Trap brought in plenty of new faces before the June qualifier. He has his sense and his logic about the squad he thinks will play the game we need to qualify.
    A manager is judged on performance and results.
    It's the results that prove competence.
    There is no perfect manager.

If we do make it to the play offs, Trap is the manager I´d want with our team in that situation.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Crazy, not surprised but Names that spring to mind Fahey, Ward, B Murphy, O'Dea????????

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Not forgetting Morrison

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Stephen Carr done rightly last week also
    Last edited by cestlavie; 21/08/2009 at 6:12 PM. Reason: sell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    stephan carr is retired. I'm not surprised about miller at all, to be honest, i'm just surprised it's the same squad for the south africa game - seems to me that was a perfect match to blood a couple of more options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    Stephen Carr done rightly last week also
    This is the sort of thing that drives me mad. People just pick the names of people in the squad and say they should be in there regardless of the multitude of reasons that go in to naming a squad.

Firstly, Carr has retired from international football and so is unavailable. Secondly, who would you drop? Foley, O'Shea and Stephen Kelly all play right back. If Trap dropped Foley to put Carr in, and Carr gave one of the shocking performances he so often gave, this place would be full of posts saying its a disgrace how Foley wasn't picked as I read that he's a good player and sure we all know Carr is rubbish.
    You argue for O'Dea to be called up, and yet if he did, it would have to be in the place of St Ledger, and then you'd moan that St Ledger is the next Paul McGrath, and that your grandad lost his marbles when he was 70 so what does Trap know about football.

Trap has built a core squad of players, and is going to the World Cup with them. I'm sure one or two may well break through over the course of the season, but it'll be the same core as it is now. That doesn't make his squad selection unadventorous. If he was as unadventurous as you all say what's Foley, Nolan, Gibson, Best, Lawrence, St Ledger and Folan doing in the squad?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Good post Jicked, but I still think the selection of someone that hasnt got a club is wrong
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast