Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Australia - Wednesday, 12th August 2009 - Friendly - Thomond Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts

Ireland V Australia - Wednesday, 12th August 2009 - Friendly - Thomond Park

Half time: 0:2

Thomond looks quite full, but i think a lot of that is the empty yellow and black seats thrown in amongst the red ones in the stand making it look like people are sitting on them.

Given couldn't have done a thing for either goal. Defence is doing ok though. St Ledger lost Cahill at one point but Dunne did enough to put him off. Would like to see a few other options in the full back positions for the second half

In midfield and up top we have problems tactically. The centre mids aren't allowed to go forward, but our wingers are both inclined to come infield onto their natural foot. This is making the centre of the pitch very congested. Keane and Doyle are going into the corners to create width but because the central midfielders can't go forward this leaves no one in the box.

McGeasy and Duff NEED to swap wings. Duff can't cross a ball with his right foot and McGeady can't with his left.

Keane has had our best chance but he made it all for himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Thanks for your analysis.
    Both the commentating and half time pundidtry on RTE radio has been shocking.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Folan and Hunt have given the team a better shape and look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    disaster 3-0
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    pick that one out!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Detailed analysis:

We're sh1t

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Trappatoni out!

Boooooo!
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Eel trap should have played a Bohs and Pat's selection. Utter ****e.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    stopped watchin at half time but just horrible. such a bland team really when it comes to passing and movement. team is really quite poor. terrible preperation for the match in Nicosia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Looked better second half. Issues all over the pitch really, but we looked more balanced second half. Their right back was given a torrid time by Hunt when he went over to that side.

There was a hint of pre-season friendly about the whole thing really. half empty stands, players red in the face and panting (McGeady), and half hearted tackling (everyone on both sides, bar Hunt and Kilbane who don't know how to give anything less than 100%)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Very poor bedraggled team performance and a well deserved 3 goal win for the sparkling Aussies.
    I'd have a small hope that Nolan could impress Trap enough to shift KK from LB.
    Can there be any doubt left that KK is not up to it at LB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Only a friendly but that was pretty rubbish to be honest. Anyone who paid €55 in would be feeling mugged right now. Anyway one to put behind us straight away and hope they are saving far better for the remainder of qualification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Very poor bedraggled team performance and a well deserved 3 goal win for the sparkling Aussies.
    I'd have a small hope that Nolan could impress Trap enough to shift KK from LB.
    Can there be any doubt left that KK is not up to it at LB?
    No doubt at all, but I would suggest the best chance is either Ward of Foley having a great start in the EPL for Wolves, and forcing their way into the side. Foley would mean O'Shea going bacok to left back but he can play anywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dunphy's article in the Irish Star should be a good laugh tomorrow. But this performance was shocking central midfield offers no creativity or protection to the back four, the wingers McGeady and Duff should be played in their proper wings. Hopefully it will show Trap that some new members need to be called up to the team e.g. Reid and Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I was watching an Aussie stream, and at half time they were talking about our attack as very predictable. They said only Keane and McGeady offered anything creative, and sometimes Duff (not effective in this game it must be said).

A couple of things I will say: this was Ireland's "first team," so they were not going 100%. They've all got their club games on their mind this weekend, and probably didn't want to get hurt.

Contrast this with the Aussie lineup, which was a mix of starters and squad players, a lot of whom had something to prove to try and break into the starting XI.

This does not justify the performance, but may help explain it.

At the end of the day, I'd rather get a wake up call like this before Cyprus, than blow a team out and go there overconfident.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Terrible performance. Far too many donkeys in that team. That Irish team individually is the poorest first 11 I've ever had the misfortune to see in the green jersey. Only about 3 of the players is capable of finding a teammate with any pass over 12 yards.

We need to find a midfield from somewhere. Hunt, McGeady, Gibson and Whelan are nowhere near good enough for this level and this considering McGeady had one of his more promising games for Ireland though both him and Hunt for all their industry offer no service to the front 2.
    Last edited by youngirish; 12/08/2009 at 8:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Tony Mobray is putting McGeady down the right for Celtic (with Maloney down the left). Hopefully between now and Cyprus Trapattoni will see him tear Gael Clichy apart in the champions league and try him on the right for 90 minutes with Hunt on the other side. With those two getting chalk on their boots and putting crosses in to Folan we would look a different prospect

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Infadel View Post
    the wingers McGeady and Duff should be played in their proper wings.
    McGeady is playing on his proper wing and Duff has proven himself to be way more than capable on the right.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    To be expected at this point in the season, many were off the pace (tho it didnt effect the ozzies as badly!)

St Ledger, Gibson, Duff were particularly disappointing for me. McGeady made errors toobut was also one of the more creative players with some nice link up play and a few decent crosses.

Keane did well enough to create a few opportunities for himself and Hunt had the desired impact when he came on in lifting the pace of the game.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The only positive, that I can see, is that it might give these guys a serious wake-up call before the Cyprus game.

Defense and Midfield were poor. They (Aussies) had too much space and time, nobody was really closing down. I saw Whelan make a few tackles but he wasn't great at all. This game is confirmation for me that Gibson can't be trusted to start a competitive match; he really was woeful, we may have been 1-0 up if he played Keane in on the goalkeeper early on. He never recovered from that poor decision and any confidence he may have had, which I doubt, completely deserted him. If we make the playoffs, I would not get my hopes up.

Robbie Keane looked our best player by a mile. Don't think we would even still have a shot at South Africa if we did not have him.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast