Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Switzerland (Away) Wed 8th Sep 04

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Switzerland (Away) Wed 8th Sep 04

Please use this thread to post any useful links, websites that can assist travel, accomodation, tickets etc...

Footie Related

Swiss FA Site http://www.football.ch/ (Remember the last game notification was on here as to when tickets were going on sale and how)

Flights

Swiss Air http://www.swiss.com/web/IE6/

Tickets

www.ticketcorner.ch Official ticket distributor for the last game

Accomodation

Basel Youth Hostel http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4
    Last edited by Junior; 05/02/2004 at 2:45 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

only1kilbane

switz

game most likely to be in basel again. Flights are available direct to geneva or zurich with aer lingus . If you go though heathrow you can fly from there direct to basel which is handy !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    FAI, suggest that game will be in Berne, However should it be Basel direct flights from Mcr for around 100stg, worth considering if you're gonna have to change in London anyway.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Try to get directly to the host city becuase trains are an absolute rip off.I paid the eqivilant of E120 for a return trip from Zurich Airport to Basel,that's about from Dublin to Kildare Town!
    <insert witty remark>

Pogsly
    I flew through Frankfurt and then onto Basle by train and although it was nice and handy (*there was zero waiting around ) it was also fairly expensive . And we had no stopover .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Originally posted by Pogsly
    I flew through Frankfurt and then onto Basle by train and although it was nice and handy (*there was zero waiting around ) it was also fairly expensive . And we had no stopover .
    we did exactly the same, but found it to be very reasonable, managed to get a group ticket for the train which got you about 60% of the normal price per person. always worth looking for these on the national train webistes/booking agent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Flew to Frankfurt too and flights and trains were reasonable.

Anyone know if any of the ripoff agents are doing a day trip. 3 days off midweek is not easy for me at the moment.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Don't a link for it, but try the Basel Gastpack on Dornacherstraße for accommodation - around E20 per person per night, to include free bus and tram travel for your stay. Only a mile or two from the City Centre, but with the trams, that's nothing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gspain
    [B]Flew to Frankfurt too and flights and trains were reasonable.

Went through Frankfurt as well. I think the combined price of flight and train was about €270 or so. With the accomodation thrown in it came to about €400 all in. it could have been better but it could have been a lot worse.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Beavis
    Try to get directly to the host city becuase trains are an absolute rip off.I paid the eqivilant of E120 for a return trip from Zurich Airport to Basel,that's about from Dublin to Kildare Town!
    We paid €120 for a taxi back from Basle to Mulhouse in France.
    The taxi driver was a Turkish emigrant who seemed more interested in the exploits of Hakan and Murat Yakin than the rest of the team put together!
    The only way is up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Paulie
    [B]
    Originally posted by gspain
    Flew to Frankfurt too and flights and trains were reasonable.

Went through Frankfurt as well. I think the combined price of flight and train was about €270 or so. With the accomodation thrown in it came to about €400 all in. it could have been better but it could have been a lot worse.
    Got the flight for €160 incl all taxes and charges. Booked in June.

Train was ~€70 by ringing Deutsche Bahn in the UK and getting a fixed ticket - specific trains - could have paid double that for flexible ticket.

Paid to much for accomodation as all the cheap hotels were gone but it was a nice hotel - St. Gotthard across from railway station.

Basle was lovely but hope it's a new city and new stadium - Berne would be fine.

My mates flew to Frankfurt Hahn and hired a car but the driving is not worth the hassle - especially when the navigator finds a new route from Neuchatel to Basle that invovles crisscrossing the Swiss countryside in the dark.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    Don't a link for it, but try the Basel Gastpack on Dornacherstraße for accommodation - around E20 per person per night, to include free bus and tram travel for your stay. Only a mile or two from the City Centre, but with the trams, that's nothing.
    http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4

This was the Hostel in Basel, perfect location and cheap. Ideal for a group, we had a room for 8.

As for the train, we rang a Deutsche Bahn booking office in the UK and got a 60% discount for a group of 6 or more (from Frankfurt to Basel).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aer lingus are currently charging €566 to travel from dublin to zurich 6th-9th Sept

Booked with ryan air and easyjet travelling from dublin through luton to zurich same dates €150.00

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by SuperDub
    Aer lingus are currently charging €566 to travel from dublin to zurich 6th-9th Sept

Booked with ryan air and easyjet travelling from dublin through luton to zurich same dates €150.00

British Midland will get you to Zurich for 215 via Heathrow

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Asked to post this here as well.

Email from Davros this morning claims Easyjet are starting to fly to seven new destinations. Included is Basel (as well as Budapest and Ljubljana and four more airports).
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

only1kilbane

Basel

I was another one who had already booked flights this time with easyjet to geneva but got them changed them over at a cost ! Depending on what days you are looking to travel you can still find seats for 3.99 each way at the moment. The monday to thursday is the dearest but still only works out about 45 euro including taxes. Hopefully ryanair might have cheap flights to stansted soon so i can meet them flights bit dear at the moment ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Out of interest, has everybody here already applied to the FAI for their tickets to the Swiss and French away games?

only1kilbane
    they will only start taking applications about 8-10 weeks before the game and release them about 6 weeks prior to game no so rush yet !

Game is deffo confirmed in basel now !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Game is deffo confirmed in basel now ! [/B][/QUOTE]

Where did you hear it was confirmed? I rang the FAI last week to ask if the venue had been confirmed and they said that it hadn't. I booked my flight to Basel anyway though!

only1kilbane
    emailed the swiss fa in my best french and they confirmed to me that the game would be in basel.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast