Wexford Youths v Monaghan United

With their recent good run of results Monaghan United travel to the South East this weekend to take on Wexford Youths in their next League match. Wexford had a very rare home defeat last weekend and especially since it was against bottom of the league side Kildare County who in turn were having a rare win, there is no doubt but the Slaneysiders will be smarting and will be determined to get back to winning ways.

Kildare undid the “Youths” in a six minute spell in the second half when they hit them for three, two of which were scored by ex-United goal poacher Philly Hughes, the game was played in terrible weather conditions which Kildare obviously used to their advantage.

It was also similar conditions I believe that prevented United from gaining full points against Athlone Town, however taking all the absentees through injuries one could not be too despondent.

The reshaped sides that manager Mick Cooke had to go with in recent weeks are accounting for themselves well but with six players injured the knock on effect is that his bench is also depleted.

Games between United and Wexford are often very tight affairs and usually serve up entertaining football, but United have been unbeaten at Ferrycarrig Park in the previous 2 seasons. Kildare’s result against Wexford should be encouraging for United and that together with the recent good performances might help to tilt the balance in Mon’s favour. One factor against United is if there is anyone who can pick a team up after a bad result it is Mick Wallace, so we will earn whatever we achieve there.

Injuries and Suspensions

Suspended : none

Injured: Sean Brennan.

Results of Last fixtures

Div 1 Monaghan United 0 0 Athlone Town
Div 1 Monaghan United 0 0 Waterford United
Div 1 Sporting Fingal 4 0 Monaghan United
Div 1 Monaghan United 1 0 Limerick FC
Div 1 Mervue United 1 5 Monaghan United

Next 5 Fixtures

Fri Aug 7 Wexford Youths v Monaghan United 8.p.m.
Fri Aug 14 Monaghan United v St. Patricks Athletic 8.p.m.
SunAug 23 Monaghan United v Finn Harps 3.p.m.
Sat Aug 29 Longford Town v Monaghan United 7.30.p.m.
Fri Sept 4 Monaghan United V Shelbourne 8.p.m.

Manager Quotes: "Looking back at last weeks game against Athlone Town I was very pleased with the overall performance but disappointed that we didn’t get the win. The treacherous underfoot conditions on the night undid a couple of very good moves which on a dry pitch I believe we would have converted.

Nonetheless I believe that it was a good all round performance, our defence which was the sector that has suffered most from our list of injuries was very solid and the few strikes that were on target were well dealt with by Aaron McCarey who completed a hat trick of clean sheets. In attack we created some great chances and were unlucky not to score, indeed had we won by three goals we wouldn’t have been flattered.

I now have to look at what is coming down the track, I know all supporters are talking about the Cup game with St. Pat’s, however my main focus must be on our next match at Ferrycarrig Park against Wexford Youths. We might have been successful on our last trips there but like most managers I always find it a tough ground to get a result in. I am sure that Mick Wallace felt a bit bushwhacked after being caught by Kildare County, it was a rare defeat for Mick’s side and knowing the man he will know that the best way to get over such a result is to win your next game. Therefore I can anticipate what will be in store for us.

Apart from Sean Brennan the rest of the injured players have recovered so I will have a strong panel to pick from.On present form I believe that we can again be successful and extend our good run, and football aside I always look for ward to travelling to Wexford and meeting up with one of the games gentlemen Mick Wallace.”