Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay O'Shea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Jay O'Shea

moving to birmingham city, how do you reckon he'll get on? i don't see him making the first team if im honest, imagine fahey and o'shea in the same midfield.

if o'shea does break in, then mcgeady(and duff) have to feel their places are under threat. o'shea performing in premierleague(IF HE DOES) is far superior to mcgeady in SPL or duff in division 1.
    Last edited by irishultra; 04/08/2009 at 1:56 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    if o'shea does break in, then mcgeady(and duff) have to feel their places are under threat. o'shea performing in premierleague(IF HE DOES) is far superior to mcgeady in SPL or duff in division 1.
    I think you might be getting slightly ahead of yourself there, lets wait and see. I personally think there have been alot of superior players who have gone across in the past and havent made it. He'll find it tough breaking into the first team, particularly as they are not in the PL but lets just wait and see. Cant see McGeady or Duff being too concerned just yet. Lets revisit in 12 months, i wish him all the best and hope he has similar success as Kevin Doyle as opposed to say Dave Mooney, Jason Byrne etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Birmingham are in the premier league? But your right, he hasnt even agreed personal terms yet. There are better players still at Galway Utd.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am in the camp of that Jay should have gone to a championship club , like what has been said he will find it hard to get into the first team , but I think he will find more space on the wing than playing in the LOI .
    All the best Jay and thanks for everything .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think you might be getting slightly ahead of yourself there, lets wait and see. I personally think there have been alot of superior players who have gone across in the past and havent made it. He'll find it tough breaking into the first team, particularly as they are not in the PL but lets just wait and see. Cant see McGeady or Duff being too concerned just yet. Lets revisit in 12 months, i wish him all the best and hope he has similar success as Kevin Doyle as opposed to say Dave Mooney, Jason Byrne etc etc
    Dave Mooney has done very well since he went over to England.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    Dave Mooney has done very well since he went over to England.
    3 goals in 9 games in the championship. Pretty good record considering he was injured vast majority of season
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Seems to have been featuring a bit in Reading's pre-season games though in a few games he seems to have been in midfield strangely enough. Came on as sub against Chelsea. Hopefully he gets more of a look in under the new manager than he did under Coppell. He has all the ability.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    As a Birmingham fan myself, I question the move, I think he's one of the most overrated players in the league to be perfectly honest.
    Get into them! ( They're easyyyy! )

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    3 goals in 9 games in the championship. Pretty good record considering he was injured vast majority of season
    Fair enough didnt realise he was injured, my point more so was to do with the fact he was loaned out. With Doyle and Lita now gone from Reading there may well be more opportunity for him in the coming season.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    if o'shea does break in, then mcgeady(and duff) have to feel their places are under threat.
    if o'shea does break into the first team(which i doubt) , what timeframe do you think it will be before duff/mcgeady feel their places are under threat?
    Last edited by back of the net; 04/08/2009 at 6:18 PM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    if o'shea does break into the first team(which i doubt) , what timeframe do you think it will be before duff/mcgeady feel their places are under threat?
    Well, first off I think Hunt's name needs to be thrown into the mix, considering he started over McGeady in our last competitive match, and did very well.

Second, I hope Jay O'Shea gives us another option that is even better than Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady combined, but until he proves that he can play with the best of them, he's just another young player who has everything to prove.

Duff has been one of our best performers over the last few campaigns, and has won leagues, and competed in the Champions' League.

McGeady has won leagues in Scotland, and competed in the Champions' League with some fantastic performances.

When a quality young player emerges, nobody is safe (assuming the manager has the courage to trust youth), so if he's good enough he still has a chance to squeeze in for the World Cup if he has a cracking debut season with Birmingham.

Let's hope he does well enough to give Trap something to think about, but at age 20 he still has plenty of time yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    If he's able to prove himself in the premier league, then surely it's Keogh's position as 4th choice winger, or 2nd choice right winger, that's under threat?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Well, first off I think Hunt's name needs to be thrown into the mix, considering he started over McGeady in our last competitive match, and did very well.

Second, I hope Jay O'Shea gives us another option that is even better than Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady combined, but until he proves that he can play with the best of them, he's just another young player who has everything to prove.

Duff has been one of our best performers over the last few campaigns, and has won leagues, and competed in the Champions' League.

McGeady has won leagues in Scotland, and competed in the Champions' League with some fantastic performances.

When a quality young player emerges, nobody is safe (assuming the manager has the courage to trust youth), so if he's good enough he still has a chance to squeeze in for the World Cup if he has a cracking debut season with Birmingham.

Let's hope he does well enough to give Trap something to think about, but at age 20 he still has plenty of time yet.
    would agree with ur comments irishfan

the more options we have the better and i hope he can make it at birmingham.

But he has an lot to do yet before he can start making duff/mcgeady/hunt/keogh worry and for that to happen it will take time

but as u say - time is on his side
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He was excellent against Spain u21 a few months ago from what I remember. Particularly his skill for the 2nd goal:
    http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/re...pain-u21-judge

He scored the first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If he's able to prove himself in the premier league, then surely it's Keogh's position as 4th choice winger, or 2nd choice right winger, that's under threat?
    mcgeady can't languish in spl forever. same rules must apply to mcgeady as to fahey/murphy/o'shea, so don't see why it should be any different for a guy that has never really sparked for ireland at international level.

he's given a bit of compensation fairly because celtic have been playing champions league in recent years and also are a different entity to the SPL in general but he has to step it up. if o'shea was to break into their team and play extremely well then mcgeadys place should definetly be in question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Fair enough didnt realise he was injured, my point more so was to do with the fact he was loaned out. With Doyle and Lita now gone from Reading there may well be more opportunity for him in the coming season.
    There have been quotes from Reading coaches saying Mooney is the best finisher at the club. I think he just lacks that yard of pace that would make all the difference for him though.

On O Shea, I dont think he's good enough for the premiership, but he's young. Best of luck to him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    thats my opinion as well. he's a bit overrated imo, but maby he could flourish over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgbtNIL17Hc

He didn't really get going until the 2nd half of last season when he was given more of a free role up front. Unfortunately for us he played most of this season on the right wing. Don't get me wrong he's not bad there but his best games have been when he's played up front.
    He definitely has the ability to play at the highest level, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing for an Ireland place in a couple of years.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He was excellent against Spain u21 a few months ago from what I remember. Particularly his skill for the 2nd goal:
    http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/re...pain-u21-judge

He scored the first.
    Where was that game eire ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiehead View Post
    Where was that game eire ?
    Waterford RSC
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast