Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: v Waterford United

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

v Waterford United

Important weekend coming as the top 4 sides play the bottom 4. All the top sides will be expecting a win while a result by a bottom 4 side will most probably mean a jump on the teams around them.
    Hopefully we will continue our recent good form with a win. Especially as we have Shels away in the next game.
    Still, 7 from 12 points is not to be sniffed at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would be absolutely delighted if we get a point on Saturday, 2 points from the next 2 games would be brilliant. That would set us up nicely for the final round of games. Given our appalling start, in the final round, we have to beat finn harps and mervue at home and not to get beat away to athlone and longford.

Longford have picked things up slightly under gareth cronin and I expect them to get a few wins in the final round but mervue are in complete freefall and I think we have great chance of catching them. We need a few home goals and a few home wins though. The squad of players we have now would put us just behind the top 4 over the course of a full season I feel and if we can manage to stay up this year, I would be very optimistic regarding next year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Our form in the last 4 games is the the best of the rest (not counting the top four). Mervue have lost 7 matches in a row, Harps have lost 3 matches in a row. I'm getting excited here for the first time in about two years about County. I think we can finish ahead of Mervue at least, which would set up an interesting promotion/relegation playoff between Galway rivals Mervue and Salthill Devon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    to be honest, even if we don't catch mervue I would be confident that we would beat salthill with this squad in a play off although it would obviously be better if we could avoid that.

Would be very interesting to see what additions somerville would make if we stayed up, he has unearthed a couple of real gems from the LSL i.e darren kelly, darren o'brien and david jackson and manged to convince experienced league of ireland players like philly hughes, davy byrne and christy doran to join when we were rock bottom and he has done that within the same budget that was already in place at the club. Add in the local youngsters like orrin farrell, matt byrne and davy o'riordan and for the first time in years, we have reason to be optimistic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Getting exciting reading them posts there lads! But wouldnt get carried away just yet - remember we only have 8 points on the table. But I agree that we have a chance of finishing ahead of Mervue if we can keep this good form up, and if we can avoid relegation then next year who knows what Somerville is capable of.

But back to this weekend, Waterford are one of the best sides in the division so with that in mind I would gladly settle for a point if offered it now.
    Cmon County!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Last time round Somerville held Waterford scoreless at the break only to concede two second half goals in the rsc, that was only his second game in charge at the club and pretty much with Cooper's squad, no doubt both the organisation and players of the team have improved on since then, however our home record has been quite poor in the last year (not winning since July last year I think) and we are up against a top team in the division so as KildareLad said, a point would be a good result.

The main thing is to beat Mervue when they come to Station Road, and then pick up 4 points more than them in the remaining fixtures. So even nothing from the next two games and then in the final round of games a draw with Harps, a win and a draw in the two games against Longford and Athlone, a draw with Limerick, Monaghan and Wexford and lose again to the top 4 and of course beating Mervue would give us 11 points (ie 4 points to play with given the 7 points behind Mervue)

So really anything in the next two games is a bonus but the key really is goal difference at this point.

Also Waterford are playing tonight in the League Cup
    Last edited by christo; 04/08/2009 at 8:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Just a quick question lads.

Is there parking in Station Road ?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    yep indeed there is..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    There's a fair amount of parking immediately to your right as you drive in the gate, behind the new stands.
    There's also a small amount over the other side, beside the clubhouse, but I don't know if that's officials only, and even if not I'd say it fills up quick.
    I like Station Road, it's a tidy little ground, it has a bar, and is one of the few grounds you can chat to the players warming up as you walk in!
    The pitch is tiny too, one of the reasons we always struggle a bit there IMO. Extra hard to break down a team that doesn't want to be beaten, no offence meant!
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Extra hard to break down a team that doesn't want to be beaten, no offence meant!
    Despite our form in early season we actually don't want to be beaten at all, no offence taking

and yes there is plenty of parking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to the match tonight.

I fancy us (Waterford United) to win, but it will be tight.

I'll say Kildare - 0 - Blues - 2, with Paul Walsh and Graham Cummins with the goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iorfa2MaccaJim View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the match tonight.

I fancy us (Waterford United) to win, but it will be tight.

I'll say Kildare - 0 - Blues - 2, with Paul Walsh and Graham Cummins with the goals.
    Good shout.
    Cmon County!