Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Martin Reilly -

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Martin Reilly - Record Breaker

County have added the vastly experienced Martin Reilly to their squad for the 2004 campaign. The 33 year old striker, who spent last season with Athlone Town has a superb goal-scoring record an still holds the record for most goals scored with Dundalk in their promotion season (2000/01) when he broke Liam Munroe’s record of 19 which had stood since the 1959/60 campaign.

Indeed it was his goal against Athlone Town in late April, which sealed promotion for the Oriel Park side. He added his record-beaking 20th. in a local derby against Drogheda the following week and was named Dundalk’s player of the season. He also won an FAI Cup medal with Dundalk in 2002.

Prior to his stint at Dundalk, he was brought to St Patrick’s Athletic by Brian Kerr from LSL side Ashtownvilla. Martin went on to win two League Championships with St Pats and finished as the League’s top scorer while there. He also saw action in European Club competition where he played for Athletic on three occasions.

Reilly then joined Crusaders under Martin Murray and was brought to Dundalk by Murray after his appointment as manager in 2000/01. Played superbly for Athlone last season, particularly in the latter half, netting seven goals in the league from 22 starts. He will be no stranger to either manager Eric Hannigan or assistant John Ryan as he was part of Ashtown Villa’s all-conquering side along with Hannigan in 1992 and partnered Ryan up front at Dundalk.

By all accounts Athlone have been shocked by the loss of Reilly.
    He's a major signing for County.

Longford won't let Paddy Mulvihill sign for his home town either.

I'd like to give a big thank you to Athlone for giving us their two best players for last season

All not lost for Athlone as they are getting a few players from Dublin.

Our next signing should be a center half (Wes Charles, in my dreams)
    Last edited by Estar; 28/01/2004 at 7:03 PM.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.